• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pencil Whippers - How do you deal with them?

juju1

Eagle Member
So we've got an issue with a local guy who has been known to pencil whip at leagues, tournaments, monthlies, et al. He's been spoken to in the past and it seemed like this behavior had stopped, however the last two nights of league he has been caught doing it.

People have brought up a few ideas to combat this behavior:

1) Never let him touch the card or keep score
2) Always keep score separately when he has the card
3) Refuse to play with him
4) Encourage the league director to ban him

I like #4 but some people think he just continuously makes honest mistakes and writes what he thinks he got instead of what he actually got. I don't buy it since its happening way too often. Really can't stand blatant cheating in this game.

When hard work and discipline don't work or require too much effort... Lie, cheat, and steal! I like #4.

I say get even. let it slide, then change his scores and make sure they dont add up. Or, make a public mockery of him. thats about as good as a cock punch any day.

I assume I know who you're talking about. Everyone I've played with lately who plays competitively has been talking about how they don't like to play with a certain guy because he's a cheater. Seems like his reputation is already ruined. I'd be inclined to ban his ass, at least for a while, but I don't know how big of a stink it would cause politically. It's not like you have to blacklist him from all events, but you gotta send a message somehow.

He's playing at a level where the players are experienced and skilled and need to know how to keep score properly.

Tell somebody in his group to keep track of his scores, dont let the cheater know he is being monitored. After he turns in his F'ed up scorecard add the strokes that he was missing and then penalize him or DQ him. He will probably quit cheating when it makes his scores worse instead of helping them.

We had a problem at a local league with a dude who would pencil whip, we just ended it by letting everyone know he is not allowed to keep score and to never let him hold the scorecard.

Is he calling out the wrong score when asked (maybe 'forgetting' a throw or two) or, when he is holding the card, writing down a different number than the one he calls out?

He has done it all. Called out the wrong number, written the wrong number, erased his score and lowered it, you name it.

I need some good ideas Ray! WWRD?

Here's what I would do. Warn everybody on his card about his antics, reminding them to keep a running count of his throws on each hole, ensuring that he doesn't call out the wrong number. Also, give everybody on his card a scorecard. Have them clandestinely white down the called scores on each hole as the "official" scorecard gets marked. (If you merely want to curb his behavior, have them do it overtly.) Scorecards can be cross-checked for accuracy at the end & the bust (and, imho, league ban) will be in order if all are the same except for his.

Latest posts