• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pettition To Allow Flattening of Discs

To flatten or not to flatten

• Total voters
I'm glad we finally got to the part where this is "not" illegal, I read the entire thread looking for someone to show me where it says in the rulebook that this is illegal.

I'll try to check in more often Martin :) sorry this thread really got out of hand for so long.

Don't ask don't tell all over again. The only one who cares is the guy with the weaker game. Excuses...

The exact semantics of the applicable rule aside IMO most disc manufacturers are in violation of the "spirit of the rule".

IMO many disc manufacturers also don't care for consistency because variations between runs fuel product demand.

The exact semantics of the applicable rule aside IMO most disc manufacturers are in violation of the "spirit of the rule".

IMO many disc manufacturers also don't care for consistency because variations between runs fuel product demand.

Not really. The vast majority of discs that come out a little differently still fall within the actual specs that are measured for approval. Things like slanted inner rims and domes aren't measured in the first place, so they're just fine if there's some variation.

Just curious does anyone know if anyone has ever been called out on a disc being modified?

A father and son duo that I play with often got called on the little grooves they carved inside the rims of their discs. They were at their first tourney. They throw forehand primarily and believed the grooves to help them with their grip. They had no idea such a thing was illegal and had to replace most all of their drivers. Now Discraft and maybe others(?) are placing raised type along the inner edge of their discs. Which is essentially the same concept. I'm not saying it's because of my friends beliefs, but maybe they had the same idea. Obviously there's a market demand for flat discs and oodles(yes: oodles) of companies vying for our dollars. If a certain design or aspect of a design becomes popular the market will react. I've already seen the influence of the popularity of flat discs on the market. Going on I believe that those who are flatting discs, while not necessarily doing it to cheat, like my friends, they do believe it will give them an advantage. The whole argument really is neither here nor there because no amount of flattening or tuning a disc will cover for bad form, mental mistakes or lack of preparation, which is really what someone wanting to have an edge should be focusing on.

I do prefer to throw my buzzes off of the lettering in the rim myself. Makes a bigger difference forehand. Not that much. Probably just OCD, but....

I may be wrong, but I don't think that anyone that is a solid golfer really gives a ****.

Oh wait, this is DGCR.

the only advantage I could see u having which I know someone who does it, but they cycle one mold for a driver and have one of that disc tuned super overstable for cycling purposes, but in the end does it really matter? they could just as easily buy another mold that is overstable and learn it, its not really an advantage

I'm sorry, it's just a non-issue. To even consider it is far too much trouble than what it's worth. And I've never eaten a bon-bon. :p

Do you realize how brainless of a post this is? You're saying, "it's not worth my time to consider this rule, but I'll spend my valuable time here to say that it's not worth my time". You must simply enjoy being a jerk since you bothered to post at all.

Secondly, hasn't anyone ever heard that CONFIDENCE is a big part of disc golf and many other sports? If you just KNOW you're going to nail that putt or drive, doesn't it make you ever so slightly more likely to do so? In that respect, if people think a particular domeyness is an advantage, then IT IS an advantage by the effect of increased confidence.

Secondly, hasn't anyone ever heard that CONFIDENCE is a big part of disc golf and many other sports? If you just KNOW you're going to nail that putt or drive, doesn't it make you ever so slightly more likely to do so? In that respect, if people think a particular domeyness is an advantage, then IT IS an advantage by the effect of increased confidence.

A step beyond confidence is quality of experience. I have gotten great results from discs I don't like the feel of. These discs are replaced with discs I like throwing even if the throws are less successful. Enjoying the game is more important than succeeding at the game.

I have not read this section of the rules; so I won't be posting here.
.....:confused: And yet, here you are...

So I tried to flatten an old Star Eagle that I don't throw anymore last night, just to see what effect it would have on the flight. I never made it to the field to try it, because after two attempts at filling the disc with boiling water and placing a heavy book on it I could detect no discernible change to the PLH or dome of the disc. Although, when I think it through, that Eagle wasn't particularly domey to begin with, so that may be where I failed. I just picked a disc I wasn't going to be throwing anymore to experiment with. I may have to go buy a domey DX/Pro D disc to try this out with, but at this point flattening a disc seems like more trouble than it's worth when I'm lucky enough to have a well stocked shop available.

Hey, so where's the petition? I'm ready to sign my name to make something legal that is already not illegal.

I have yet to play in a PDGA tournament, but if I do, I will have several flattened discs in my bag and feel no shame about it. As long as my discs are within the original approved specs, it should not matter at all. I'd NEVER play a sanctioned baseball game with a cork filled bat. Bats don't come that way. Discs do come flat, domey, and everything in between. And what about the people that "season" their discs intentionally? I've heard of bending them back in forth, throwing them deliberately into trees/walls, leaving them under water or underground for prolonged periods of time. Intent to alter? yes. Could all the same effects occur to any disc in your bag that gets used regularly? Of course.

I think it's funny that some of you think sanding and cutting flashing off is acceptable, but you view flattening a domey disc as a violation. As others have said, both can happen over the course of owning and using a disc as it was intended. Adding weight to a disc, or cutting out the flightplate, those are two mods I'd have to protest. The rest is irrelevant.

Hey, so where's the petition? I'm ready to sign my name to make something legal that is already not illegal.

:thmbup:

This is such a non-issue. Do whatever you want to your disc, there's absolute no quality control coming from the DG companies... and unless you do something incredibly drastic no-one can prove it wasn't caused by play or storage.

If there were to be a list of "Discs that are better domey" and "Discs that are better flat" what would be on your lists?

I know everybody covets their FAF Firebirds and their pop-top Star Destroyers... but what are some of the others that benefit from adding or removing dat dome?

Latest posts