• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Phoenix - which 3 courses (March 4th)

seedlings

* Ace Member *
Need three must-plays in the Phoenix area. The only courses I know of are from tournaments (Fountain Hills, Vista del Camino). Going with friends from the area who are casual rec players like me. They play Red Mountain, Buffalo Ridge, Paseo Vista mostly, and haven't been to Fountain Hills, I think because of all the water.

There are some down in Chandler, others with not too many ratings on DGCR… anyways, I'll take your thoughts!

ALSO: what's the best way to fly with a disc bag (Fossa Skinny 2)? Buddy recommended taking a smaller bag, which I could do if that's really a better plan. Prefer not to check a bag, so I could ove4head the disc golf bag and under-seat my personal clothes/items bag.

Didn't you post this same thing about a month ago?

As far as Fountain Hills, I found the water doesn't really come into play too much. Maybe a little bit in three holes and mostly if you throw a pretty bad shot. There are three tees for hole #1 so you can choose full water carry, partial water carry, or not really bringing the water into play. For me, the water came into play more at Vista Del Camino.

Paseo Vista is a small course but I found it fun enough that I'll probably make it a point to play it next time I'm down that way.

Oh, and I see that the Memorial is that weekend so you may not be able to play Vista or Fountain because of the tournament.

Been quite a few years since I've been there but Fountain Hills, Vista and Buffalo Ridge were all definitely worthy stops. Fountain Hills gets very busy by park goers so keep that in mind. I remember Buffalo Ridge being much better than I expected.

I dunno how one lives in Phoenix and never at least makes it out once for an early weekday round at Fountain Hills. You can definitely avoid the water by playing extra safe.

Didn't you post this same thing about a month ago?

As far as Fountain Hills, I found the water doesn't really come into play too much. Maybe a little bit in three holes and mostly if you throw a pretty bad shot. There are three tees for hole #1 so you can choose full water carry, partial water carry, or not really bringing the water into play. For me, the water came into play more at Vista Del Camino.

Paseo Vista is a small course but I found it fun enough that I'll probably make it a point to play it next time I'm down that way.

Yes, I asked about a new course, and the suggestions came. This is a dedicated thread since the Memorial is that weekend… Fountain Hills and Vista Del Camino are off the table.

If you are in town on Sunday, you will be able to play Fountain Hills. The Memorial only happens there on Thursday, Friday (Pros), and Saturday (AMs). There is a 5K and 15K that end up at Fountain Hills on Sunday, but that shouldn't stop people from playing the disc golf course.

I suggest Red Mountain North (strategy needed at this course), Paseo Vista (fun mandos there), and for a tough layout, Buffalo Ridge.

If you are at Vista del Camino to see any of the tournament....I'm the course director (not Tournament Director) for that course/tournament - stop by and say hi!

If you are in town on Sunday, you will be able to play Fountain Hills. The Memorial only happens there on Thursday, Friday (Pros), and Saturday (AMs). There is a 5K and 15K that end up at Fountain Hills on Sunday, but that shouldn't stop people from playing the disc golf course.

I suggest Red Mountain North (strategy needed at this course), Paseo Vista (fun mandos there), and for a tough layout, Buffalo Ridge.

If you are at Vista del Camino to see any of the tournament....I'm the course director (not Tournament Director) for that course/tournament - stop by and say hi!

I'm only in town Friday and Saturday, darn it:thmbdown:
Friday we're trying to get 3 courses (have other business Fri eve), and possibly one extra round Saturday.

(Still waiting for your NSH Dwayne review :thmbup: )

If you're up for a bit of a drive, a buddy and I have really been enjoying Ironwood Crossing. They have their league play on Saturdays. It's a fun course, challenging but no water and wider fairways than Maricopa Meadows. Nice tee pads and signs, nice winter grass, even has a couple of 500' holes.

I'm only in town Friday and Saturday, darn it:thmbdown:
Friday we're trying to get 3 courses (have other business Fri eve), and possibly one extra round Saturday.

(Still waiting for your NSH Dwayne review :thmbup: )

I plan on getting a review of the NSH Dwayne done. I want to have a video showing the throws....but due to work, I haven't been able to get out throwing at all lately. Hoping to get out this weekend and make a video.

If time frees up Friday or Saturday and you can stop by....I'll be at Vista somewhere, most likely around hole 1 for the tournament - normal hole 12.

I imagine the patio at Dukes is going to be crazy with people?

Oh yeah! And they're gonna hope to not get hit by stray discs. Although the mando is supposed to help with that...during the Shelly Sharpe a few did end up on the back patio.

Today we played Buffalo Ridge, Maricopa Meadows, and Paseo Vista. Winds were extremely gusty. I putted with an FD3 quite often. Scores suffered…. Buffalo Ridge was the most different from any course I've played (I haven't played many). Maricopa Meadows is extremely sprawling through a neighborhood, often walking two city blocks to the next tee. Very enjoyable hole layouts. Paseo Vista was very fun. It's very compact, but didn't hinder play. A few longish holes too. The three courses were so different, very refreshing. 63 holes is almost double the holes I've ever played in one day.

Tomorrow is Red Mountain North and Spinners on the Green before heading back.

I thought mouer park (spelling?) was really underrated for the casual player. Certainly got the full desert experience of throwing around saguaro cacti and Palo verde trees. That was like 7+ years ago tho.

Latest posts