• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Phoenix this weekend

mashnut

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Ashleigh and I will be headed to Phoenix this weekend. We're going to play Thunderbird, Conocido, Buffalo Ridge, Fountain Hills and Vista del Camino on Saturday. Sunday we're going to play both Red Mountain courses, Mesquite Grove and Paseo Vista, adding in Maricopa if we have time. The 18+ courses we're skipping are the ones that don't allow dogs, we'll have ours along with us on this trip. Are any of the 9ers in the area worth adding in if we have a little extra time?

Also, any recommendations on camping? We're looking for reasonably priced primitive camping, nothing fancy. If there's something over on the east side of town near Red Mountain that would be ideal so we can just set up for both Friday and Saturday night without moving campsites. Thanks!

That's a lot of golf; you might want to only plan on doing two or three courses each day.

:|

If you weren't already notified, keep in mind the Shelly Sharpe A tier will take place at Vista Del Camino this Friday through Sunday.
If you go in the evenings I believe you can fit rounds in after the last cards but before sundown.

I don't know of any good 9 hole courses. Looks like you have a great list goin already. Hope you have a great time.

As far as camping, I only know of rv grounds in the valley, unless you go up in elevation.
But your google search will be as good as mine, Best of luck.

Last edited:
I think there's a KOA out in Apache Junction? That'd at least get you on the right side of town for Red Mtn. There are a bunch of trail-heads out that way, but I've only ever camped further into the Supes.

If you weren't already notified, keep in mind the Shelly Sharpe A tier will take place at Vista Del Camino this Friday through Sunday.
If you go in the evenings I believe you can fit rounds in after the last cards but before sundown.

I don't know of any good 9 hole courses. Looks like you have a great list goin already. Hope you have a great time.

As far as camping, I only know of rv grounds in the valley, unless you go up in elevation.
But your google search will be as good as mine, Best of luck.

Yeah, you may have some trouble getting a round in at Vista due to the tournament.

I'm not very familiar with camping in the area, but I found this which is kinda close to Red Mountain.

That's a lot of golf; you might want to only plan on doing two or three courses each day.

^2nd this emotion.

Might want to scale back the ambitiousness. :| :| :|

Course bagging is, like, tough going n shizzz. :p

^2nd this emotion.

Might want to scale back the ambitiousness. :| :| :|

Course bagging is, like, tough going n shizzz. :p

Buffalo Ridge and the Red Mountain Course alone are a big undertaking for one day. They are long and fairly rugged.

If I were you, Mash, I would skip Maricopa due to the fact that it is a long way out of town, for a pretty mediocre course.

Thanks for the top on the tourney, we'll either hit that one first thing in the morning or right at the end of the day. We're pretty used to playing 6+ rounds in a day so I'm not too worried about getting it all in. :)

Thanks for the top on the tourney, we'll either hit that one first thing in the morning or right at the end of the day. We're pretty used to playing 6+ rounds in a day so I'm not too worried about getting it all in. :)

Have fun! ;)

It might be no problem playing that many holes in a day, but you need to consider distances between courses. Everything in AZ is further apart than back East. The Ridge is 30+ minutes to Fountain Hills and 20+ to Shelley. Throw in T-Bird and Conocido and you have a boatload of driving to mix in w/ your discing.
Just sayin' is all.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure we'll be fine but I appreciate the advice. We've done lots of road trips with big drives between courses. :)

Looks like the first tee time is at 8am on Saturday at Vista, we'll probably try to be out there at 6 and just play with the folks warming up and be out of there before the tourney starts.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure we'll be fine but I appreciate the advice. We've done lots of road trips with big drives between courses. :)
I'm sure you have. Just wanted to make sure.
AZ is a big place to have only 53 courses in the whole state. Makes for some serious traveling at times!!
Just be sure you play all 27 at Buffalo!!!

I'm sure you have. Just wanted to make sure.
AZ is a big place to have only 53 courses in the whole state. Makes for some serious traveling at times!!
Just be sure you play all 27 at Buffalo!!!

Will do, thanks.