• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Phoenix this weekend

We had a great weekend, perfect weather and we really liked our campsite in Lost Dutchman State Park on the east side of town, it was up in the foothills of the Superstition Mtns and had great views. On Saturday we tried to get in Vista first, but it looked pretty crowded with folks warming up so we decided to save it for another trip. We played Papago (played it several years ago before the back 9 or the walking path were there), Los Olivos, Thunderbird, Conocido, Buffalo Ridge and Fountain Hills. Sunday we played both Red Mountain courses, Mesquite Grove and Paseo Vista, and made a stop at the course in Quartzite on the way home.

We had a great weekend, perfect weather and we really liked our campsite in Lost Dutchman State Park on the east side of town, it was up in the foothills of the Superstition Mtns and had great views. On Saturday we tried to get in Vista first, but it looked pretty crowded with folks warming up so we decided to save it for another trip. We played Papago (played it several years ago before the back 9 or the walking path were there), Los Olivos, Thunderbird, Conocido, Buffalo Ridge and Fountain Hills. Sunday we played both Red Mountain courses, Mesquite Grove and Paseo Vista, and made a stop at the course in Quartzite on the way home.

What did you think of the Quartzite course? I thought the course wasn't much, but the entire park complex was kick a$$.

I was really impressed by all the work someone had put into that course, it's obvious someone really cares about it. Disc golf wise there's only so much you can do with a gravel field, 1 tree and a handful of bushes, so it's not going to get a very good rating from me.

Hey Mash, sorry I didn't see this before you made the trip. I have family that lives in AZ and I have played a handful of the courses you hit.

I was going to say skip Mesquite Grove, but it seems a little late. How did you end up liking that one?

Sounds like an awesome trip, my grandparents live 30 min from Lost Dutchman State Park. The Superstition Mountains have some great scenery. Did you get any hiking in or was it an all disc golf kind of trip?

Mesquite was pretty bad, missing signs, lots of broken glass, overlapping holes etc. It was just a DG trip, no hiking this time, but it definitely is a beautiful area!

Mesquite was pretty bad, missing signs, lots of broken glass, overlapping holes etc. It was just a DG trip, no hiking this time, but it definitely is a beautiful area!
Mesquite was nevere a jewel to begin with, but in the last few years (since Paseo Vista opened) it has fallen on hard times and there is talking of shutting it down. I hope not. I like doing the occasional Paseo Vista, Mesquite run.

Sounds like you got a lot of practice throwing hyzers. :D

Yup, pretty much. Lots of open desert golf, pretty much what I expected. :p