• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pittsburgh Disc Golf

jjtwinnova

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I wasn't able to find a Pittsburgh thread so I made this one. I play regularly in the area. If anyone lives or has played in the Pittsburgh area then post your input on the courses here!

moraine and deer lakes are our bread and butter for sure, knob, slippery rock, and linbrook are all decent courses and probably play at knob more than any other course because its the most convenient. I avoid schenley like the plague, course is just bad.

What about Monroeville and North Strabane?

Sadly, I've only goten to play those two courses in the Pittsburgh area, myself. They were both fun, simple 9 holers for me.

I really do need to make a long weekend trip up there to hit up the signature courses!

What about Monroeville and North Strabane?

Sadly, I've only goten to play those two courses in the Pittsburgh area, myself. They were both fun, simple 9 holers for me.

I really do need to make a long weekend trip up there to hit up the signature courses!

Pittsburgh has fantastic terrain for courses. You won't be disappointed. I made my second discing trip up there this year, and I'm already dreaming about returning. Great people up there too!

Pittsburgh has fantastic terrain for courses. You won't be disappointed. I made my second discing trip up there this year, and I'm already dreaming about returning. Great people up there too!

I got to see MPO round five of Worlds at Moraine which was awesome. Can't wait go play it, and the others. :hfive:

And Cincy is pretty sweet, too, huh?

I'm thrilled to live in the area. Cincy is indeed blessed with some wonderful courses (and respectable terrain for more), but it's lacking the elevation Pittsburgh has.

Moraine is in my top 5 of all time. You are going to love throwing it! Pair it with Deer Lakes, and you'll leave Pittsburgh yearning to return.

I play Knob almost every day because it's so convenient for me. I need to get out to deer lakes and moraine because they are both top 20 on DGCR rankings. I don't want to play at Schenley period haha. What's your favorite hole on each of the courses? I like No. 13 at Knob Hill.

I'm driving to Pittsburgh on Friday but can't play because of a shoulder injury :(
Moraine is great but I like Deer Lakes a tad better. Knob is very good too, my hotel this time is 5 minutes away.
I've never decided which area is better, Cincy or Pitt? Both are GREAT!!!

The Pittsburgh area has an amazing set of courses. I grew up 15 minutes away from Moraine, didn't starting DGing until a few years ago, long after I'd moved away, and not taking advantage of such a great set of courses while I lived there still haunts me. At least I get to play a few times a year when home visiting family. :D

Moraine is my favorite. First course I ever played and almost 90 later, it's still among the best I've seen.

For me personally, I would call a tie between Linbrook and Knob Hill for second. Very different courses: Linbrook is an amazing set of par 4s, some of the most unique and visually-arresting holes I've ever seen, its game is very high but it's also rough around the edges, whereas Knob is not a wow factor course but an almost perfectly sequenced set of par 3s that add up to a wonderful round (recently supplemented by the addition of a few 4s for Worlds). If I could only play one course for the rest of my days I may very well choose Knob Hill.

Deer Lakes is a great course, but doesn't do it for me like the others. Some awesome holes but also some middling ones and some duds. Were it not alongside Moraine and Linbrook I'd probably think higher of it, but it's below the above three on my to-play list when I visit the area.

Don't sleep on northern West Virginia either, if we expand our radius. Orange Crush!

Have to think on my favorite holes.....

Moraine has definitely been a favorite since its been installed. Deer Lakes falls behind for me, probably because I never play as well there.

It's been a long time since I've even checked out Linbrook. While I enjoyed it, I can't give it top marks until there's a full 18 for me to go round. Maybe just a personal mental block? I grew up playing the 9 at Phillips over and over, and it's still the closest course to my house but I almost never play there because I know an 18 is just a few more minutes down the road.

All in all though, the quality of the courses has gone way up over the years. Anything new is top notch and a lot of the older ones are getting makeovers with new baskets and tee's etc. Great stuff!

I think moraine is better than Deer Lakes because of overall quality of each hole. There isn't a bad hone on the course. I love playing there.

Because of my proximity to knob hill, I tend to play there the most. The great thing about knob hill is the fact that there are a great variety of holes. There are enough short and technical holes that challenge accuracy, but there are also wide open par 4s that challenge arm strength. Knob Hill can be challenging for some people, but easy for others. Lastly, the people at Knob Hill are very kind. Especially the younger players that you see there. They seem to respect other people's pace of play and sometimes even have better etiquette. All in all Knob is a very nice course for all skill levels.

Hmm. My ultimate 18 holes of Pittsburgh disc golf:

#1: Linbrook
#2: Moraine
#3: Deer Lakes
#4: Linbrook
#5: Linbrook
#6: Moraine
#7: Linbrook
#8: Moraine
#9: Deer Lakes
#10: Knob Hill
#11: Deer Lakes
#12: Knob Hill
#13: Knob Hill
#14: Deer Lakes
#15: Moraine
#16: Moraine
#17: Knob Hill
#18: Moraine

Has anyone ran into the three kids who play athe knob almost everyday? They have the best etiquette I have ever seen.

They are out there all of the time and played the Haunt on the Hill glow event. Definitely going to be Pittsburgh's finest players if they keep it up. It's crazy how we don't have any great players with the quality of courses that we have. Currently our highest rated player is only 978.

Hmm. My ultimate 18 holes of Pittsburgh disc golf:

#1: Linbrook
#2: Moraine
#3: Deer Lakes
#4: Linbrook
#5: Linbrook
#6: Moraine
#7: Linbrook
#8: Moraine
#9: Deer Lakes
#10: Knob Hill
#11: Deer Lakes
#12: Knob Hill
#13: Knob Hill
#14: Deer Lakes
#15: Moraine
#16: Moraine
#17: Knob Hill
#18: Moraine

That's a good list. Not a lot to quibble with it. It really reinforces how strong Knob Hill is on the back 9.

I'd definitely go with Moraine for 10. I love that hole: one of the few very birdiable 4s on that course.

Moraine 6 is a beast. Probably my favorite hole on the course, just for its unrelenting intensity. I don't know if I've ever been happy with an entire play through of that hole: it always gets me somewhere.

I think that list shows how weak hole 17's are around here.
Maybe we can count linbrook hole 8 the second lap as hole 17.
Personally prefer moraine 12, especially blue tee.

My only problem with that list is Knob Hill #10. Probably my least favorite hole to play out of everything that I have ever been to. It just chews me up every time!

Latest posts