• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pittsburgh Disc Golf

Will do. Same invitation extended for the Columbus area from me.
Played Knob almost daily 15 years or more ago, so it was great to play it again and see all the upgrades since I last was there.

Off topic, where does everyone pick up discs locally in the 'Burgh?
I still have a PDGA Aviar and Zephyr that were two of the first discs I ever bought from Scholl's, but couldn't find any other disc shops. I did grab a CFR champ Cobra and a circle stamp Viper off of them at the other location...
I buya lot of used discs from the locals at dubs actually. Most of us have too many discs anyway. As a group we have a lot of Trilogy Discraft and Innova. Scholls is too expensive for me. 20 dollars for a GL river? Get real.

I buya lot of used discs from the locals at dubs actually. Most of us have too many discs anyway. As a group we have a lot of Trilogy Discraft and Innova. Scholls is too expensive for me. 20 dollars for a GL river? Get real.

Got it.
Though, the prices I saw at Scholls were cheaper than here in Cbus, and he took $2 off per disc at checkout without asking (I was talking about the old shop with him, so maybe a nostalgia discount?). I think I paid $19 for the CFR Cobra and Dx Viper total.

Yeah Scholls is the only real brick and mortar store. Kind of a shame really.

Yeah that seems really odd for a city that size when a small town like Dayton has probably one of the best brick and mortars in the country. Cinci also has a couple great discs shops and we have one here in Cbus that is pretty decent, too.

Last edited:
Got it.
Though, the prices I saw at Scholls were cheaper than here in Cbus, and he took $2 off per disc at checkout without asking (I was talking about the old shop with him, so maybe a nostalgia discount?). I think I paid $19 for the CFR Cobra and Dx Viper total.

Yeah that seems really odd for a city that size when a small town like Dayton has probably one of the best brick and mortars in the country. Cinci also has a couple great discs shops and we have one here in Cbus that is pretty decent, too.
Loved The Nati store. Need something like that. Dedicated to discs. Such a great disc golf town deserves a great disc golf shop.

My wife wants to know why I am a walking billboard for Discraft. I told her that ace race shirt is maybe the most comfortable shirt I've ever worn haha

Sent from my trap phone using Tapatalk for dummies

After my Schenley round yesterday evening

2016_08_12_06_40_28.jpg

I run a shop out of my house and around the courses as of right now. I'm working on building a pro-shop on my new property i have but that is a little ways away. Hit me up on Steel City Discs on facebook if you're looking for some new plastic. As of right now i carry DD, Lat64, Westside, and MVP.

First Time Throwing in Pittsburgh

I spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday in Pittsburgh for the first time from Buffalo, NY. I stayed at Breakneck Campground (near Moraine State Park), a good home base for sure. Schedule went like this...

Thursday Night - Drive to Breakneck Campground
Friday - Moraine, Moraine, Knob Hill
Saturday - Deer Lakes, Deer Lakes, Moraine
Sunday - Moraine, Drive Home

I think that Knob Hill is an above average course but not much more. I would enjoy playing it again but certainly wouldn't consider it a worthy destination course.

Deer Lakes and Moraine are both amazing, "best of the best" courses that I would drive to Pittsburgh again to play. I very slightly preferred Deer Lakes because the highlight holes and basket placements I found to had a slight edge over those at Moraine.

It was an amazing week-end and I'd recommend Deer Lakes and Moraine to anyone.

Glad you had a good time playing the courses. If you're back in the area give a shout. Any excuse to play Deer Lakes or Moraine! :thmbup:

My son played in a tournament at Deer Lakes and Knob Hill there. We had a great time with a wonderful group of people. Can't wait to do it again next year. I hope to play myself if not my son will be there.

Our prayers have been answered! The Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open is officially a National Tour Event for 2017. Come on out and watch the best of the best battle it out at some of the best courses in the World!

I know Pittsburgh has a pretty well established DG scene, but being an hour away, I don't get to get too involved with it yet. However, I have a question about Pittsburgh DG, specifically, on the East Side. I commute into Pittsburgh 4 days a week right now, for grad school, and every day I pass the old Churchill Valley Country Club.

I did a little research, and basically some random real estate company bought it for like 1.2 million a few years ago, and is just holding it, not planning to do anything with it right now. Every time I drive by though, I can't help but think what an amazing disc golf course it could be with very minimal effort (obviously, because it used to be a ball golf course...). Just wondering if anyone has thought about approaching the owners to use the space even temporarily as a DG course? What would something like this take?

(I have no home course right now, as moving East from Pittsburgh, there is a pretty negligible amount of disc golf courses, so the fact that this is on my way to and from school that I drive nearly every day, makes me kind of excited, and is why I figured I would ask)

Last edited:
I took a road trip up to Pittsburgh three years ago to play Deer Lakes, Moraine, and Knob Hill. I went in October and tent camped near Moraine. The fall foliage was incredible and so was the disc golf. Love the courses there.

I took a road trip up to Pittsburgh three years ago to play Deer Lakes, Moraine, and Knob Hill. I went in October and tent camped near Moraine. The fall foliage was incredible and so was the disc golf. Love the courses there.

Glad you enjoyedthe wonderful courses that Pittsburgh has to offer! Fall colors are starting to come and the courses look as beautiful as ever!

Also, the Steel City Slaughterfest will be taking place this weekend along with Haunt the Hill afterwards. The Slaughterfest will be a C-Tier with all baskets in the toughest positions. Come and get slaughtered!

Our prayers have been answered! The Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open is officially a National Tour Event for 2017. Come on out and watch the best of the best battle it out at some of the best courses in the World!

Sweet! I didn't know if I'd ever get a chance to see the best again, after getting spoiled by the 2015 Worlds. The group my daughter and I followed was McBeth, Wysocki, Schusterick and Locastro. That's going to be hard to beat, no matter what.

I know Pittsburgh has a pretty well established DG scene, but being an hour away, I don't get to get too involved with it yet. However, I have a question about Pittsburgh DG, specifically, on the East Side. I commute into Pittsburgh 4 days a week right now, for grad school, and every day I pass the old Churchill Valley Country Club.

I did a little research, and basically some random real estate company bought it for like 1.2 million a few years ago, and is just holding it, not planning to do anything with it right now. Every time I drive by though, I can't help but think what an amazing disc golf course it could be with very minimal effort (obviously, because it used to be a ball golf course...). Just wondering if anyone has thought about approaching the owners to use the space even temporarily as a DG course? What would something like this take?

(I have no home course right now, as moving East from Pittsburgh, there is a pretty negligible amount of disc golf courses, so the fact that this is on my way to and from school that I drive nearly every day, makes me kind of excited, and is why I figured I would ask)

One of the other reasons I am glad I don't live on the east side of town! (the traffic, amiright?)

Sad part is that they will probably just clear cut the entire space and plop down a bunch of dumpy town houses that cost twice as much as they should. Having a course there, or really any sort of park space would be really great.

Do you know who is the land owner currently? Have any contacts? It would certainly be worth reaching out to assess the situation!

I might just have to practice up to play in the PFDO in 2017. Though I think the last time I might have done it, it sold out in about a day or something.

P.S. Not the "open" part of the PFDO. The bottom tier or flight. :)

I am working on designing a course near monroeville. Hopefully it happens. Just need to finish the course in Tionesta I have been working on.

Also traffic east of squirrel hill tunnels is actually better than the north hills during rush hour. At least in the morning.

Another thing, Linbrook is closed til
Christmas as they are allowing archery hunting there this year even though there is a state game land across the street

Latest posts