• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Plastic preference?

ladysmanfelpz

What type of plastic do you prefer and why? What do pros seem to use?
Im finding that I love the pro plastic and am now turning more to the dx too. The grip is where it is at. Ive been a right hand forehand player and I can get insane spin on the pro plastic and love how it wears in. I liked the dx next best, but its durability didn't suit me. Hit one tree with my orc and valk and they were F'ed. Just found a dx boss 171g that is the stiffest dx plastic ive ever seen. birdied a 447' hole with it. Does the dx plastic vary, cuz if i find more like this im buying this plastic for sure? can still rip champion plastic but just dont like the feel/grip and plus you don't get the cool graphics like with the dx :)

I don't really have a preference for any particular plastic as such, but I like some plastic and mold combos more than others due to the way they fly. For example I like the S-PD more than the P-PD and C-PD because of how it flies and behaves, but for actual feel the P-Line would be more optimal. In the case of the MD2 I love the D-Line, the gummy flat C-Lines and the old R-Pro P-Line, because those were in my experience the most neutral, but am not such a huge fan of the S-Line, the new P-Line or the stiff and domey C-Lines. =)

So yeah, whatever plastic makes whatever particular mold fly better, I guess. =)

Ya i guess thats true. Im still starting out and experiencing more discs but i can see how a disc in different plastic can be better or worse for you. The valkyrie dx was a total beginner disc and way too flippy and unpredictable, while ive thrown it in champion plastic and can really use that turn without losing it. Still ill opt for any disc in pro or dx tho. I'm just breaking in my pro firebird, but i think next im gonna try a dx firebird and break that in. I heard you can really break in over stables in dx and make them a good one to rip that will always come back

I'll add one thing: If possible I like to stick with discs that work for me when new and when beat, so that I can use them all the time and don't have to work on them to get them to be useful.

I prefer my putters and mid-range discs in base plastic. That way I have a some that are fresh and beat. This seems to be a pretty common practice. I also carry a DX Leo for special situations.

Right now all my drivers are in premium plastic. Eagles are in Champ. Distance drivers (Surge and Valks) are in ESP/Star. Predator is in Z.

I do like DX fairway drivers, but I am not carrying any right now.

I play in montana and washington mostly and its trees for daaaaaays. I know a lot of trees players don't like dx as one round can ruin them. I have a dx boss and dx destroyer in my bag now and been giving them a few throws. They've had their fair share of hits, but the rim is still good and they are holding up. As Im getting better I can extend the life of them. I noticed they got a little less stable, but if I throw it right they can go, probably the 2 farthest in my bag. Is it fine for me to go dx or should I just say screw it with the trees?

ladysmanfelpz said:
What type of plastic do you prefer and why?

It depends on the type of disc. You need different plastics for putters, mids, and drivers. They are entirely different discs, with different plastic needs. I prefer my putters rigid and chalky (e.g., the good protege blend from Legacy), I like my mids rigid and smooth (e.g., Z Buzzz), and drivers need most to have strong plastic that can sustain the narrow edges after numerous impacts plus good grip (e.g., 1st Run Star Quality).

ladysmanfelpz said:
What do pros seem to use?

The usual suspects, but often in special runs/premium blends of plastic that are collector items to most of us and hence expensive to procure...unless you're a sponsored pro, of course.

ya finding I like different plastic for different discs. Think Im gonna have to get some star and/or champ drivers. Just got a dx mid, think im gonna get a pro cro as well and a z buzz. Dx can't sustain as a driver, not the stable or understable ones at lease. Just bought a dx firebird and that guy beats in nice and becomes a sweet flyer as it wears. My dx boss took a hard shot and I think he's toast now

I'm finding lately that I prefer baseline plastics more. I like the grip better and I like the fact that they change after some good tree whacks. I think after that I like the Champ/Z/Opto type plastics. Star/ESP/GL and Pro/Elite-X/Grip are pretty much tied (sometimes seem the same).

This isn't the greatest answer, but I just like good plastic. It doesn't matter if it's pro, DX, Champ, GL, Z, ESP, etc. I don't have much of a preference as long as it's grippy and a good blend. for example, the new DX is slick and it really doesn't feel comfortable to throw. I have much more confidence in a disc if the plastic feels comfortable in my hands. I really like GL and the champy star blends because they are a good mix of durability and grip. They feel firmer and aren't really gummy, yet they have some give to them (not to mention they look cool).

I always throw my putters in DX, and always throw everything else in premium, usually Champion or Z. It has a lot to do with feel, and the extra grip in damp conditions means that I will always prefer the feel of base plastic for my putters. Back in the early days, discs were designed to fly well in DX, but when you ran different plastic in the same mold, they would sometimes lose some of their glide or other characteristics in the transition.

These days, molds are made with premium plastic in mind, so most modern discs fly equally well or even better in the new plastics. Lots of people like base plastic mids and cycle through them in various stages of wear. I have an ESP Buzzz which has been pretty beat up over the last couple of years, and now its just exactly how I would want a seasoned Buzzz to fly. It took longer to get there, but it will stay in a usable condition for a very long time. I hope to eventually replace my Fuses with my beat Buzzz, and get a slow cycle of premium mids going.

So i am noticing more how certain discs are better in certain plastics. My question for everyone here is how long does each plastic type seem to last for everyone before it breaks? I don't mean break in, but like breaks where it is too unpredictable to be useful anymore. I had a dx boss which was fun for a bit, but then I hit a tree hard and I could just tell the way it came off it wasn't going to be right. I play wooded courses and ive hit trees with plenty of dx and I can tell they will be alright, but sometimes with a weird hit I can tell it "broke" by the way it came off. So now this boss can get some alright flights, but will have a weird and unpredictable turn. It will turn very hard when it definitely wasn't supposed to. Same thing with my pro starfire. Great disc and had plenty of flight left in it, but it took a hard smack into a tree. The way it came off I could tell it broke. Sure enough next through it came off right and started to do its soft turn and then got more fluttery mid flight than at release which is very odd and became very understable and never came back. So I needed a mid and wanted to try a good run plastic so got a z buzzz. First day out with it it was sick. Did everything I wanted it too. Could forehand it 300'+ and rip backhands. Nearly got 2 aces with it my first day. I know a disc breaks in, but after that first day, I can no longer forehand it. I am throwing it very different know and it seems less predictable to me. Still a sweet disc, but I am surprised by how much the z changed after one day of play. So far doesn't seem so much tougher than the dx I usually buy even playing in the woods. My dx destroyer has lasted I would say about 80 throws and taken a few good smacks, but nothing where it look like it broke. So what do you think the life of each type of plastic is? Have you noticed a champ or star run plastic "break"?
I'm saying:
Dx/D: 10-20 throws to break in. Life ~100
Pro/elite: 25 throws to break in. Life ~180
Z/Champ: 30 to break in. Life ~250-infinite
Star: 60 to break in. Life ~200-infinite

Star usually breaks in and overall wears much faster than Champ, and there's no way a DX or Pro disc would be broken in in like 25 throws, unless you hit the trees every time.

jubuttib said:
Star usually breaks in and overall wears much faster than Champ, and there's no way a DX or Pro disc would be broken in in like 25 throws, unless you hit the trees every time.

There are exceptions like the DX Valkyrie that changes drastically with the first hard hit. My yellow Star Wedge changed a lot just being in the bag with lots of other discs.

ladysmanfelpz said:
So i am noticing more how certain discs are better in certain plastics. My question for everyone here is how long does each plastic type seem to last for everyone before it breaks? I don't mean break in, but like breaks where it is too unpredictable to be useful anymore. I had a dx boss which was fun for a bit, but then I hit a tree hard and I could just tell the way it came off it wasn't going to be right. I play wooded courses and ive hit trees with plenty of dx and I can tell they will be alright, but sometimes with a weird hit I can tell it "broke" by the way it came off. So now this boss can get some alright flights, but will have a weird and unpredictable turn. It will turn very hard when it definitely wasn't supposed to. Same thing with my pro starfire. Great disc and had plenty of flight left in it, but it took a hard smack into a tree. The way it came off I could tell it broke. Sure enough next through it came off right and started to do its soft turn and then got more fluttery mid flight than at release which is very odd and became very understable and never came back. So I needed a mid and wanted to try a good run plastic so got a z buzzz. First day out with it it was sick. Did everything I wanted it too. Could forehand it 300'+ and rip backhands. Nearly got 2 aces with it my first day. I know a disc breaks in, but after that first day, I can no longer forehand it. I am throwing it very different know and it seems less predictable to me. Still a sweet disc, but I am surprised by how much the z changed after one day of play. So far doesn't seem so much tougher than the dx I usually buy even playing in the woods. My dx destroyer has lasted I would say about 80 throws and taken a few good smacks, but nothing where it look like it broke. So what do you think the life of each type of plastic is? Have you noticed a champ or star run plastic "break"?
I'm saying:
Dx/D: 10-20 throws to break in. Life ~100
Pro/elite: 25 throws to break in. Life ~180
Z/Champ: 30 to break in. Life ~250-infinite
Star: 60 to break in. Life ~200-infinite

As a rule those numbers are way off and even primo plastics wear so nope to infinity but granted you are more likely to lose them first. Some DX discs can last hundreds of tosses even on rockly courses as long as you don't throw super hard and some discs in Pro fly well after wear and can last more in the thousands of throws than 180. Throwing form is a big issue in not flipping the disc. Your DX Boss may have illustrated the concept of speed stability for you. It means that a new disc is overstable for a 400' shot in calm conditions and in a headwind a 370' thrower flips it hard. And nose angle plus winds means that the disc can either go left or flip hard unpredictably from one throw to another at your power and more often be a roller for a higher powered player. Entering wear of the disc into the equation means that the disc flips more, more often and especially unpredictably.

Ya i guess my perspective on dx. I got taht misconception from owning a dx valk, and now that im hearing the dx valk is an exception from a lot of people I trust dx a little more. It was literally my 3rd throw with the dx valk and it took a hard one into a tree right off the tee and never flew right after that. And I can rip the dx boss and it has a beautiful slow fade, it is just way too hard to control for me

DX Rocs, Spiders and Gators hold up well for being base plastics and putting only DX putters are gonna last a long time.

Latest posts