• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Plastic types for Roc

What if all the rumors about the newer "Ranchos" not being actual Ranchos, but instead a +? Would you still be throwing Rancho Rocs, scrambling to try to find the older ones, or would you just throw the "new mold"? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ (I can't help it), but I'm genuinely interested in what you may have to say on the matter.
I guess I really don't know what to think. I don't work at Innova and don't have the sales numbers, so I don't know if the Roc is still a great seller or if discs like the Buzzz have deeply cut into Roc sales. Innova was able to raise a lot of money for USDGC with the USDGC Roc program, but the flip side of that was no Champ or Star Roc in regular production. That left Innova vulnerable from a sales point of view. How often have you heard people say they throw "Gateway putters, Discraft mids and Innova drivers?" I've heard it a bunch.

So in the Rancho Roc you have a mold that is best in base plastic during a time when everybody wants to throw Champ and Star. You also have a mold thats main weakness is that it is not a great forehand disc at a time when more and more players throw forehand exclusively. It might not be the sales hit we expect it to be.

So the Roc+ is supposed to be less stable so it can be run in Star and Champ and not be the glideless "power-players only" disc the Champ Rancho is. It also puts more mass on the rim, which should make it a better sidearm disc. To me it just looked like a mold that would address some problems they might be having selling the current Rancho Roc.

The problem for someone like me comes from the idea that the Roc+ will replace the Rancho Roc. For a backhand-dominant thrower like me, the Rancho Roc is just about the perfect disc and I don't want to see it go the way of the Dodo Bird. If the Roc+ is clearly labeled (I'd prefer a huge + on the hotstamp to bottom ink, but that is just me) it's just another disc. If all Rocs end up with this slanted rim, then Hell yes I'm hoarding Ranchos. The DX Roc+ is not going to start out stable enough to cycle like you can with the Ranchos; there would have to be some other overstable mid mixed in there to cover those shots that the fresh Rancho covers. Once you can't cover the whole spectrum of midrange shots with it, the Roc would just be another mid and you might as well throw a Buzzz. :\

yeah they need to make champ rocs and champ glo rocs availible year round....not sure why they continue to lose customers to the Z wasp which is what innova really wants to sell but can't figure it out. I held a roc+ and it wasn't roc like...the z wasp is basically a flat champ rancho roc!

yeah they need to make champ rocs and champ glo rocs availible year round....not sure why they continue to lose customers to the Z wasp which is what innova really wants to sell but can't figure it out. I held a roc+ and it wasn't roc like...the z wasp is basically a flat champ rancho roc!
The Wasp is pretty close, but it really doesn't glide for me like a Roc. Really there are a lot of good mids and a few great mids, but nothing gives me the stability+glide I get out of a nicely beat-in DX Roc.

The Wasp is pretty close, but it really doesn't glide for me like a Roc. Really there are a lot of good mids and a few great mids, but nothing gives me the stability+glide I get out of a nicely beat-in DX Roc.

What about the newer Star San Marino Roc kills it's ability to stay up there with a DX Roc? I have a nice flat top dx roc and a SSM, however my Roc distances aren't anything to really see the difference in flight. at ~ 250-275 feet they look identical in the air to me :/

Not that I've tried to hit specific lines with them. Just tossing them at a nice wide open 300 ft hole, and they were landing within a few feet of each other every time. I love the feel of Star plastic, and hate that one basket hit on the fly from the DX put a nice taco line on the guy.

What about the newer Star San Marino Roc kills it's ability to stay up there with a DX Roc? I have a nice flat top dx roc and a SSM, however my Roc distances aren't anything to really see the difference in flight. at ~ 250-275 feet they look identical in the air to me :/
For me it falls out sooner and just doesn't give me the D that I get from the DX Roc. I've talked to enough other people who have a similar opinion to know its not just me. If I beat on it it might season into a similar disc, but its easier to beat on a DX Roc so why bother spending all that time trying to beat up a Star Roc?

Latest posts