• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Portable basket questions...?

J-Mo

Bogey Member
I'm doing some research on some portable/collapsible baskets. I need a basket that I can practice with in my yard, or take to the local church grounds to practice my throws.

It seems like the DGA Mach Lite has been getting really good reviews, and has a lot of the things I desire in a portable basket.

http://www.amazon.com/Mach-Lite-Dis...8J5I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1330182280&sr=8-4

Here are my questions....if anyone has this basket, or have seen it before, when it is broken down and put into its' storage bag, is it small enough to strap on my bag and carry? How long is it when it is in its' bag?

I want to be able to throw it on my back and ride my bike over to the local church/park....but not sure if it would be too cumbersome.

Thanks for your help!

Yeah, even the most portable baskets are still 30+ lbs. Not exactly impossible to carry around, but not something I voluntarily do for more than from my trunk to the field, either.

Maybe a five minute bike ride.

I was planning on just throwing the basket over my shoulder/back.

Site says it weighs about 26 lbs.

The Mach Lite is my favorite folding basket, but it's pretty heavy, I walk a couple blocks with two of them to a local park but it could be a bit awkward to ride a bike with if you're going very far. If portability is your biggest concern you might check out the Innova Traveler, it doesn't catch as well and doesn't feel quite as much like a traditional basket but is the lightest and most portable.

Innova skillshot is a good option if you plan on taking it down a good bit...its about 15 pounds and about 3 ft long in its bag.

I'm sorry...I said in my original post "small enough to strap on my bag"....I meant back...not bag.

All depends on durability, how many chains you want on your basket etc.....I have The Innova Skillshot basket, the basket is great to use in the yard or to take on a trip. The basket folds up rather easily into a bag with a shoulder strap. We set up a actually 14 hole course with all skillshot baskets and it was a nice tourney, we even had a guy ace 320 ft shot!

The Mach Lite is my favorite folding basket, but it's pretty heavy, I walk a couple blocks with two of them to a local park but it could be a bit awkward to ride a bike with if you're going very far. If portability is your biggest concern you might check out the Innova Traveler, it doesn't catch as well and doesn't feel quite as much like a traditional basket but is the lightest and most portable.

I like the weight of the innova traveler. However....I gotta have chains. I can't go without hearing that ching! :thmbup:

There are chains inside that netting, it's a muffled sound but there's still some of the 'ching'. The skillshot might be another to consider, it's pretty light and has chains, though the single layer of vertical chains doesn't catch all that well.

The newest version of the Traveler has all chains instead of chains/netting. I just bought one myself and am excited about how versatile it seems like it'll be.

Interesting...please let me know how you like it once you have a chance to chuck some discs at it!!

Interesting...please let me know how you like it once you have a chance to chuck some discs at it!!

I have been throwing at one of the mesh-less Travellers for quite a while now and I have zero complaints. If anything, they actually catch too well. It seems like anything even remotely close just falls in because the "cage" is so deep. Very rarely are there chain outs.

To the OP, the Traveller is what I would recommend. I have ridden with mine for similar distances and I have zero complaints. The bag is a little bigger than it would be in an ideal world, but certainly within the realms of doability for 5-10 minute ride.

I have the mach lite and love it. It would be a little tough to carry on a bike. I got mine for Christmas and use it all the time with no problems.

I have a Mach lite and I love it. But here's my opinion. Most like a real basket? Absolutely. But like others have said, it is kinda heavy and I personally wouldn't throw the thing over my shoulder and attempt to ride a bike. Reason being is that I have WALKED with it on my back like you're describing and it's not that comfortable. You can actually feel the chains through the carrying bag and they kinda dig in your back a bit.

is it small enough to strap on my bag and carry? How long is it when it is in its' bag?

I want to be able to throw it on my back and ride my bike over to the local church/park....but not sure if it would be too cumbersome.

Thanks for your help!

If it is for a bike ride, yes. Would you want to play 3 holes with it on your back? **** no, lol. I'm no more then 5'8 145 and I could carry it on a bike with me.