• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Possible Brainwave Technique?

MN_DiscGolfer

Par Member
Ok this may have been gone over already, or tried but I know a lot of people like the brainwave dyes so I figured I'd share my findings and hopefully someone has either tried or will try and share some results. I currently don't have the time to test it out.

The other day I was drying a photograph with a blow dryer in a class that I'm taking where I develop my own film and the way the water beaded up made me think of the brainwave dyes I've seen. I'm curious to see if anyone has done this and what kind of results they have had. Like I said I would test it myself but I just don't have the time to do it this semester.

From what I understand, the brainwave dyes are achieved by letting the discs sit in a "special solution" before being dyed.

I'm all for understanding how stuff works as well, but as inexpensively as "the brainwave guy" is dyeing them, it's just too easy to ship them to him. Even if I knew how I doubt I could dye them any cheaper than what he charges.........jb

I've never actually looked into getting them done from him. The brainwaves are sweet to look at but I don't think I'd actually dye mine that way kuz I don't really like anything thats tye-dye ish. I was more just wondering if anyone had some trials using a method similar to this and if the effect came out similar to what his are looking like. Like I said I just noticed how the water was beading off of a photograph under a blow dryer and I'm assuming dye would bead the same way, the issue then would be getter the dye to be liquid enough to bead up but somehow still thick enough to once beaded actually stay in that shape long enough for the dye to take.

I haven't used a hairdryer, but I did test out somewhat of a similar technique - I wanted some "ink blow" type effects - like a Ralph Steadman drawing, so I dropped so dye onto a disc, and then blew through a straw to push it out... it worked somewhat, but I think the dye would have to be really concentrated to get a good pattern out of it. This also wasn't all that similar to the "brainwave".

I've looked at the brainwave dyes, and thought I read something somewhere that the "special solution" was Pam - spray on some Pam, then drop on some dye - while interesting, I also don't really want to dye a disc in this method, as I'm just not that into it.

I have thought about trying to add some oil to heated dye solution to try & get some intentional bubbles, but don't have any test discs currently to try it out...

I think it's more of a "smartie" smell than straight grape kool aid, either way, I love it, and my bag will soon smell entirely like this :thmbup:

dang man i love some of the star destroyers you did with the bright pink and yellow with the green and blue ima try and experiment and see what i can come up with. i hope i can get bright colors like you did

dang man i love some of the star destroyers you did with the bright pink and yellow with the green and blue ima try and experiment and see what i can come up with. i hope i can get bright colors like you did
Thank you! I like your stuff, too! You have more patience than I do :)

Latest posts