• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Possible Disc golf store coming to Charlotte

FlyLineDiscs

Hi, We are Fly Line Discs and we currently are looking for a place to open our first store ever and we are targeting Charlotte nc or or somewhere else. Where do you all think a disc golf only store would make it? Do you think Charlotte would be a good location? We would have league day and doubles night one day in the week. We also will have an ace pool up and we will alternate doubles and league day courses. We also are considering on having a driving thing like what airborne has where we can see how fast your throwing and we are also considering on an indoor putting league. We are also targeting on a possible disc golf resort with 4 championship courses,a pro shop,driving range,lighted for night play and maybe a beginner 9 or 18 hole course. The resort would be a few years beyond the store of course. Who would be willing to help donate and support both projects that we want to get done.

I'd suggest a store in the Cornelius/Huntersville area as a location. Outside of Brackett's, there isn't much for places to get discs from on that side of town. Tons of courses within 15 minutes or so (Bradford, Bailey, Robbins, Nevin, Hornets Nest, Stumpy Creek).

A driving range specifically setup for practicing tunnel shots (300ft long, 15 feet wide, 15 feet tall) would be really helpful around this area. It's a tough shot to master and hard to practice in a field or on a hole (risk of losing discs when throwing a ton of shots). Sort of like an extended batting cage.

A driving range specifically setup for practicing tunnel shots (300ft long, 15 feet wide, 15 feet tall) would be really helpful around this area. It's a tough shot to master and hard to practice in a field or on a hole (risk of losing discs when throwing a ton of shots). Sort of like an extended batting cage.

Wow i wish i had that in my yard. Bonus pts if you can figure out how far down the tunnel you made it before hitting net.

Play it Again in Pineville is ruling the disc golf scene in Charlotte. The only other places I know to get discs are a couple smoke shops and Alpine Ski Center. I'd be thrilled if a dedicated disc golf store came to Charlotte. You'd probably want to be away from the Play it Again since it has a strong customer base. Maybe somewhere in the mint hill area that could be close to the scrapyard, Reedy Creek, Eastway, Kilborne, and Sugaw. The only issue there is Mint Hill isn't bad but if you go a little bit further north, it's a shadier part of town. Otherwise, based on a study that someone did on here once, the Southpark area is the most central location to the highest numbers of courses in Charlotte. Expect high property values though and nowhere to test discs on a range if that's something you're interested in.

In south Charlotte you are going to be competing with Play It Again Sports, which would be tough in my opinion since they have such a large selection of used discs. I'd recommend Staying just north of Charlotte. If you are planning a 4 course addition in the future you could probably bump out a little more towards Harrisburg or over to Huntersville. Because your setting yourself up to be a mecca for disc golf it you can get the courses in sooner than later.

Play it Again in Pineville is ruling the disc golf scene in Charlotte. The only other places I know to get discs are a couple smoke shops and Alpine Ski Center. I'd be thrilled if a dedicated disc golf store came to Charlotte. You'd probably want to be away from the Play it Again since it has a strong customer base. Maybe somewhere in the mint hill area that could be close to the scrapyard, Reedy Creek, Eastway, Kilborne, and Sugaw. The only issue there is Mint Hill isn't bad but if you go a little bit further north, it's a shadier part of town. Otherwise, based on a study that someone did on here once, the Southpark area is the most central location to the highest numbers of courses in Charlotte. Expect high property values though and nowhere to test discs on a range if that's something you're interested in.

I didn't consider Mint Hill, that's not bad either. A lot of land to be had around there for parks as well.

One thing I'd recommend if you do choose Charlotte, would be to contact the Charlotte Disc Golf Club first. They may be willing to help you find a location for the store and for any courses you'd like to put in.

There are lots of courses in the Charlotte area and only two stores that I am aware of that cater to Disc Golfers in the area, PIAS and a head shop.

Dick's and Sports Academy carry a very limited stock of discs and bags. So yeah, I think you would have a wide open market. All the other amenities (driving range, putting leagues, etc.) would be an added draw.

Open up a shop and I will invest in some plastic. Good luck.

Are you wanting your location to be close to your courses? If so you might want to look near the intersection of Ridge Rd and Mallard Creek rd. 485 will be completed their soon and would provide lots of access. Also their is a lot of space there.

I don't know much about zoning and what your time frame is but I agree with General PB, Charlotte Disc Golf Club would be a great place to start.

In my option opening 1 course in conjunction with your store is pretty much a guaranteed draw. Because if there is one thing all disc golfers like, its a new course :)

Are you wanting your location to be close to your courses? If so you might want to look near the intersection of Ridge Rd and Mallard Creek rd. 485 will be completed their soon and would provide lots of access. Also their is a lot of space there.

I don't know much about zoning and what your time frame is but I agree with General PB, Charlotte Disc Golf Club would be a great place to start.

In my option opening 1 course in conjunction with your store is pretty much a guaranteed draw. Because if there is one thing all disc golfers like, its a new course :)

And requires land, design creation and the actual installation of a course. You need significant capital for that. Opening a store requires way less investment.

Sometimes you can siphon off business from a store with a similar target market by locating your store in close proximity.

I would also consider a location that is more relative to where the highest concentration of potential customers is and the paths they travel over locations near courses. Bait stores and tattoo parlors do not conform to this theory.

I'd rather hit a DG store at lunch or on the way home from work than eat up time on the way to or from the course.

Hi, We are Fly Line Discs and we currently are looking for a place to open our first store ever and we are targeting Charlotte nc or or somewhere else. Where do you all think a disc golf only store would make it? Do you think Charlotte would be a good location? We would have league day and doubles night one day in the week. We also will have an ace pool up and we will alternate doubles and league day courses. We also are considering on having a driving thing like what airborne has where we can see how fast your throwing and we are also considering on an indoor putting league. We are also targeting on a possible disc golf resort with 4 championship courses,a pro shop,driving range,lighted for night play and maybe a beginner 9 or 18 hole course. The resort would be a few years beyond the store of course. Who would be willing to help donate and support both projects that we want to get done.

You have some really good design experience in Charlotte. There is property that might be for sale that had 485 run through it. I DREAM about putting disc golf courses there. Elevation, was the old Pawtucket Golf course. Ponds...Just would need mostly brush hogging. Easy 3 Great courses and the land is already set for it. Just saying, I design for cheap. Easy access to 485 would be in the area between Renny and Hornets nest 485/85 which is an easy get to for almost all the Charlotte courses.

If you could get land and create 3 really great courses where people had the potential to lose discs...for example if Winthrop was 3 distinct courses you create the need for discs right on your property as people replace lost ones. Then you have daily leagues/events year round getting players to your property as often as possible. Morning evening and night leagues. Training.

I agree with the others who recommend something off of 485 on the north side of town. I'd definitely support a retail store in that area. Preferably a store with a strong retail website.

I agree with the others who recommend something off of 485 on the north side of town. I'd definitely support a retail store in that area. Preferably a store with a strong retail website.

I was thinking that too...cause you sell discs while you sleep.

Hi, We would have league day and doubles night one day in the week. We also will have an ace pool up and we will alternate doubles and league day courses. We also are considering on having a driving thing like what airborne has where we can see how fast your throwing and we are also considering on an indoor putting league. We are also targeting on a possible disc golf resort with 4 championship courses,a pro shop,driving range,lighted for night play and maybe a beginner 9 or 18 hole course. The resort would be a few years beyond the store of course. Who would be willing to help donate and support both projects that we want to get done.

I think with your big ambitions you would be better off locating in an area that is not as established. Charlotte has many places to buy discs, club run events almost every day of the week and 15+ courses that are free to play. I think it would be tough area to make a mark where an under served area would see a greater demand. Either way best of luck! :clap:

I'll agree about putting a shop on the north side of town. Maybe I-77 exit 16, which you can take for Hornets and Nevin. Kind of a dicey part of town though. Maybe exit 30, Davidson, college town near Brackets, Bradford, Robbins (which is a great place to lose a disc), Stumpy, Bridges. There are several vacant store fronts next to this craft beer bar called the Davidson Beverage Company - practically on-campus, and bicycling distance from Bradford, Robbins, Brackets.

As much as I'd love a multi-course complex here in the area, I'd maybe talk to the guys at the IDGC about how often people from neighboring Augusta make the 20 minute drive when they have lots of courses closer to home. Might be hard pulling tourists from the legendary Renny and Hornets. (but by all means, please try it)

I hadn't even thought of this, a store around north 485 near concord would be very close to UNCC. I'm sure there's a lot of college students in the area that play. You could pull a lot of business from there. Also, if UNCC has a disc golf club which I'm sure they do, you can work some deals with them. The same goes for a store on North 77 near Davidson.

I hadn't even thought of this, a store around north 485 near concord would be very close to UNCC. I'm sure there's a lot of college students in the area that play. You could pull a lot of business from there. Also, if UNCC has a disc golf club which I'm sure they do, you can work some deals with them. The same goes for a store on North 77 near Davidson.

Davidson enrollment is below 2000, but UNCC is over 25,000. Reasonably priced restaurants on Main St in Davidson don't factor in students as a major part of their business plan. (partly due to students mainly staying/eating on campus)

Latest posts