• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pound Carlton bag review

I made the "mistake" to buy my Octo in mostly white ( Big Jerm one ) hard to clean that.

I don´t play in the rain that often, but i Do play when the ground is wet. .perfectly fine weather today but lot´s of dew on the ground. . so the discs and the bottom part of the bag get´s wet. .
It would be nice to have a "bottom rainfly" for the Pound bags. . the ONLY thing i like more on the Grip bags is that the bottom don´t get as dirty as it does on the Pound

trying to build a Custom Carlton . . i really want to go for some "crazy" colors but i might regret that. . but crazy can be fun :)

trying to build a Custom Carlton . . i really want to go for some "crazy" colors but i might regret that. . but crazy can be fun :)

I can tell you from experience that the electric blue will fade a good bit in the first year.

I was looking at some crazy colors too, but as you can see from my pic, I lost nerve and went boring. I'm happy with my decision, but part of me wishes I'd gone a little bolder.

Victor, had to google Goku, but looks like a great color scheme! Can't wait to see pics!

I also use the Shift as my dedicated rainy day bag.

I can tell you from experience that the electric blue will fade a good bit in the first year.

Hmm so my crazy electric blue one might not be a good idea? ( the other one is just my thoughts on a Haul )

attachment.php

Attachments

• bags.jpg
    bags.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 227
Hmm so my crazy electric blue one might not be a good idea? ( the other one is just my thoughts on a Haul )

it will fade a bit, but it won't like completely wash out the color. It just won't be as bold after the first full season (if you play as much as I do). That color combo is pretty good!

Finally got my Carlton in! 1 round already this morning, and I'm pretty much in love with this bag. Storage/disc capacity is very versatile. I carry 16 (normal loadout) but could easily go up to 24. The center storage pocket is so well thought out. Just wish 1 side didn't have to velcro down to make the valuables pocket. Seeing the discs in the normal storage and getting them out really isn't as difficult as made out to be. I easily have 7 drivers and 5 mids that fit comfortably, and can get them all out reasonably, even the ones near the center that are under the putters. Haven't loaded a water bladder in but will when it gets hotter.

Don't see a reason for me to ever buy a new bag at this point. I've tried about all of them, and this is the best of all worlds in my opinion.

Last edited:
Don't see a reason for me to ever buy a new bag at this point. I've tried about all of them, and this is the best of all worlds in my opinion.
Totally agree!

The link to the bag isn't working for me. Got another link? Would love to see how it turned out.

Nice one :)

Do you feel that the disc "touch" the upper part of the bag?

I have a partly white Octo and the "disc flap" gets super dirty ( the discs touch the flap every time you take a disc in/out ). . .but i feel that´s not a problem with the Carlton?

Nice one :)

Do you feel that the disc "touch" the upper part of the bag?

I have a partly white Octo and the "disc flap" gets super dirty ( the discs touch the flap every time you take a disc in/out ). . .but i feel that´s not a problem with the Carlton?

Hadn't noticed them touching the top part of the bag, the putter pocket is loose enough where it can be zipped pretty easily though. Keep in mind I've only used it for 3 rounds so far, so haven't noticed all of the small weird things that we all do when carrying a bag for a long time.

It may get dirty, but it will be on the nylon divider of the disc storage so I think 1) it won't be very noticeable, and 2) will be a lot easier to clean than the cordura on the octo disc flap.

Anyone tried the Carlton with a umbrella?

Will the bag stay upright with an open umbrella in the middle pocket?

Just got a Carlton last week! I've now played three rounds with it.

A few misc. initial impressions:
- Bigger and heavier than I thought. It's the widest bag that I own, which I wasn't expecting. I think it's basically the same footprint as the Octothorpe, but the top corners are cut off to make the triangular shape, and make it look smaller in pictures.
- That said, it's of course still insanely comfortable. Equally comfy to my Upper Park Shift, which is smaller, lighter, and carries much less.
- I got the 3-disc sleeves on both sides. But at the moment, I'm only using the top pockets, where I've put two putters on each side (was snug at first, now they slide in/out easily). Putting discs in the middle/bottom pockets causes the main compartments' discs to slant outwards a bit. Getting those out is still fairly easy, but putting them back in was too much of a bother. Sometimes I'll try to put discs in the inner-most slot of the main compartment, and accidentally slide into the bottom pocket. I may put some gaffer tape over both the middle and bottom pockets to make access smoother. Or just get the putter pocket sleeves, though I probably wouldn't use the mini/pencil/scorecard holders.
- The main compartments hold more discs than I expected, so I'm still okay on disc capacity. I comfortably fit 8 drivers on one of the sides for example, possibly with room for even one more.
- I coated the bottom of my bag with Plasti-dip, for bomb-proof abrasion protection and peace of mind. I've done this before with other bags, and it works great. I didn't do as neat of a job as I probably should have, but hey, it's my bag, and it adds character. I know plenty of people swear by the bag material's durability, but I'm rough on my gear, and don't mind the slight defacement.
- I'm still getting to know the bag and how to arrange my discs, but so far through three rounds it's fantastic!

Also adding my thought process behind deciding on this bag, in case it's helpful for anyone in a somewhat similar boat.
- Looking to carry 17-22 discs, and enough storage for a jacket plus an umbrella at least.
- Have some emerging back problems. Ultra-comfortable bag is a must. Have a cart, but not a fan of it, and not sensible on the majority of my local courses anyway.
- Grip bags are extremely uncomfortable to me, my B-series kills my back after full-weekend tournaments, so Grips are entirely ruled out. Will assume this also rules out the vast majority of other large backpacks, except Upper Park and Pound.
- Used a quad bag with shoulder straps this past summer, and it was comfortable and awesome, but not enough storage space for winter use.
- Love my Upper Park Shift, but it doesn't have enough storage space, build quality could be improved, and key/phone storage/access is awkward. Rebel would be great, but appears to be OOP, and I don't like Legacy's branding on their version at all.
- Octothorpe is probably too much bag for me. I usually don't carry quite enough discs to fill it up, and wouldn't use 50% of the storage space even on a full tournament load-up.
- If I do need to carry more discs, the Carlton's side pockets are very well-suited for the task. For a course with multiple water carries, I could see myself carrying a full alternative set of drivers, for example. Versatile design is nice.
- In summary, super-comfortable bag with plenty of storage and versatility, but not too big, means that the Carlton and Rebel were basically my only options. The Rebel being OOP or Legacy-branded rules it out, and so far I'm very happy with how the Carlton has suited things.

Just got a Carlton last week! I've now played three rounds with it.

- I coated the bottom of my bag with Plasti-dip, for bomb-proof abrasion protection and peace of mind. I've done this before with other bags, and it works great. I didn't do as neat of a job as I probably should have, but hey, it's my bag, and it adds character. I know plenty of people swear by the bag material's durability, but I'm rough on my gear, and don't mind the slight defacement.
If you don't mind my asking, which Plasti-dip did you use? How did you apply it? I've never used that before, but am curious about doing the same to my bag.

Such a great bag!

If you don't mind my asking, which Plasti-dip did you use? How did you apply it? I've never used that before, but am curious about doing the same to my bag.

I've tried two different kinds of Plasti-dip: the spray-on version, and the more liquid version you can dip or brush-paint on.

Of course with both kinds, cover the bag with a trash bag and some tape, leaving only the part you want to have coated. You may want to fill the inside of the bag with newspaper or towels in case anything absorbs through, but I forgot to do that with the Carlton, and it wasn't an issue at all.

The spray-on version comes out very even, smooth, and clean. There are two downsides - one, it can be hard to get the spray into deeper nooks and crannies that you want protected. Second, you can only really apply thin coats, which take time to dry (15 minutes?) before subsequent coats can be applied, and the whole process can just take a long time. On past bags, I think I did 5-7 coats before I felt satisfied, and with drying times in-between, that took half a day.

The liquid version I've only tried once, with this Carlton, and I brushed it on like paint (dipping seems tricky to me, but I could be wrong). The pros are that it's easy to fill in nooks and crannies, and you can really slather on thick coats that still dry quickly. It probably only took me 30 minutes to do it this way, and one or two coats was enough. The downside is that it came out kind of uneven, as the liquid pooled and thinned in various places, and started thickening and drying before I could even them out. It's also just a messier job, and I got splashes of it on parts of the bag that I thought were safe. In the end, I ended up evening it out with some thin coats of the spray-on version, and that worked well. I'm probably just not good at painting things, haha.

Hope that helps!

...... Wait a minute. You guys are spraying plasti-dip on $300 disc golf bags!? :O
My poor heart.

Latest posts