• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Practice discs and field work

skroll116

I want to be able to get some more field work and\or putting in and am looking to purchase a bunch of the same discs for this reason. I say this as my bag right now is made up of 10-12 discs that are all different. Granted some have the same basic flight, but make, weights and plastics are different. Right now if I go into a field I throw my 3 mids (Roc, Buzz, Comet), walk to get them and then throw back. I also do the same with drivers. I am still new to this sport and would like my field work focus to be building better muscle memory so my thought is if I can throw 5-6 of the same discs (weights and plastics) I will end up seeing faster results. Once I can produce the same consistent release then I can start working with my actual bag in the field on flight path and such.

Is this the wrong approach?

Focus your field work on throwing the mids. Most people here will tell you to use comets as they'll expose the flaws in your release best. Trying to practice with drivers could exacerbate form problems rather than improve them.

I hear the same thing, so should I get more comets so I can throw 3-5 of the exact disc at the same time or throw the comet, walk and then throw again?

Definitely use multiples so you can make the most of your field work. Every individual disc is going to vary ever so slightly as it wears differently, but for your purposes, that doesn't matter. You're not trying to familiarize yourself with your one go-to comet, you're just concerned with working on clean form.

I tend to bring a stack of buzzz's rather than comets. Still serves the same purpose, exposes flaws in form. Regardless what mid or putter you choose, it is good to use something that you actually use on the course as well.

I found that throwing 5 of the same disc resulted in spending more time looking for my discs than throwing. I try to throw 3 or less now.

Fields are prone to having wind, and you might be forced to throw in a certain direction to avoid going in people's yards or the street or whatever. That could force you to throw into a tailwind, cross wind, or headwind, so be sure and take stacks of discs sutiable for those wind conditions, and throw the stack that fits the wind for that day. For me, that's a stack of putters, a stack of rocs, and a stack of overstable fairway drivers, which for me are banshees.

I think it depends on your goal for that particular field work session.

If your goal is adjusting form flaws and improving your form, the multiple discs of the same mold is probably a good approach. If your goal is improving the types of shots you throw (like working on roll curves, spike hyzers and whatnot), I would stick with the discs normally in your bag. You will learn how to throw each disc in each way, and figure out which one works best on your intended line.

I tend to use my Buzzz more often so I will pick more of them up. I like to flick the Buzzz too so this will allow me to work on two techniques with the same stack of discs. I plan to do the same for putting as next spring I would like to put a basket up in the yard and will then get a stack of putters.

Thanks guys.

If your goal is adjusting form flaws and improving your form, the multiple discs of the same mold is probably a good approach. If your goal is improving the types of shots you throw (like working on roll curves, spike hyzers and whatnot), I would stick with the discs normally in your bag. You will learn how to throw each disc in each way, and figure out which one works best on your intended line.

Well stated...both parts...

I'm a strong believer in field work, and really didn't start dropping significant strokes until I began spending more time in the field than on the course.

When I started playing about five years ago all I threw was sidearm. After a while it became apparent I had to develop a reliable backhand. Practice was frustrating because more time was spent walking length and breadth of the field picking up my sprayed discs than throwing.

A light bulb went on when my eye fell on a batting cage off the edge of the ball field. I began practicing in the cage, able to throw 10 times as many shots in the same amount of time. And 85 feet was more than enough distance to tell if it was a good throw or not. Shoot, my goal was simply to hit the back of the cage.

If your goal in field work is to admire how the discs flies when you hit it right, that's fine. If it's your form that needs work, the release is all that matters, and a batting cage makes a great throwing lane.

I agree that it depends on your goals. If you're just working on fundamentals like timing and weight shift, a bunch of different, but similar molds is OK. You don't want discs that will hide flaws, but if you have an XL, a Cheetah, a Polaris, a Gazelle a Cyclone a Teebird and an Eagle instead of 7 Cheetahs you'll be fine. If you're working on line shaping at all then you're better off minimizing.

Getting a bunch of the same mold is a good idea, but if you think you'll use your time more efficiently by throwing those other discs as well you won't screw anything up.

this ^^

Yes, my initial goal is to focus on form, weight transfer, etc. Right now most of my time throwing is out playing with friends on tightly wooded courses and although the group I play with is better and I get some pointers I focus on trying to throw a certain type of shot even though I don't have the mechanics down for a simple 250ft straight shot. I am getting close to bogey golf which has been my goal from the beginning. I told ya, new to this. I feel that on most of the courses I play being accurate instead of being long would be a huge plus. As I have read, "Smooth is long." Therefore, my focus on the fieldwork right now is simply technique.

I want to focus on being able to get comfortable with my release point, I know, wrong term, but keep reading. I am not quite sure what line the disc will start when it leaves my hand yet. Sometimes too far right and then next tee-box too far left. Every few holes I throw a decent drive. I'm sure most of this has to do with not staying close enough to my chest and not pulling through. But, maybe I'm lined up wrong at release and I need to adjust. I just don't know. I also need to work on height of release. One hole I will throw it into the ground 40ft in front of the tee-box and the next hole I am too high.

So, based on the feedback I am going to pick-up a handful of the same disc. As you can see my focus is trying to get consistent throwing a somewhat straight 225-250ft disc. The distance doesn't matter to me right now. I think being able to throw the same disc 3-5 times in a row will be a benefit here. Once I get comfortable with that then repeat with the current discs I throw. This will get me a better understanding of how those discs fly and I can start working on shaping (different) shots.

This has been a long ramble, I know, but I want to say thank you to those that posted. I come from 20yrs of playing ball golf and the concept and strategy carry over so much that is what got me hooked. But, the people associated with disc golf and sites like this make it even more worthwhile.

Doing this made a HUGE difference in my game, both fieldwork and multiples of the the same mold. I got ADs, Buzzzs, Comets, Gazelles, and PDs. Most of my buddies want play rounds instead of fieldwork because it is "boring". Then they piss and moan about how they suck at putting, distance, straight shots, etc. You'd figure with as competitive as they are they'd practice. I can't seem to assimilate the disconnect.

Putting everyday and fieldwork is your ticket to being better, period. Especially in comparison to playing rounds everyday.

As you can see my focus is trying to get consistent throwing a somewhat straight 225-250ft disc. The distance doesn't matter to me right now. I think being able to throw the same disc 3-5 times in a row will be a benefit here....I come from 20yrs of playing ball golf and the concept and strategy carry over so much that is what got me hooked.

The issue with this strategy is that there are a lot of "wrong", or inefficient, ways to throw a disc straight, 250'.

The absolute best thing you can do is video tape yourself throwing some shots, and use that to analyze your technique. Studying a little video to ensure you are doing some key things correctly is worth more than a hundred hours of time in the field spent practicing the wrong stuff.

Having a background in golf will certainly help! My disc and ball golf games have grown together this year. The two games share some common ground, both with hip and torso mechanics, as well as strategy.

Just wanted to drop in and tell the posters thank you for the advice. I know I didn't ask the question but I certainly am benefiting from the responses the OP has received.

Latest posts