• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Praise For The Daedalus

thrembo

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
A few weeks ago during a league round I came across a brand new Daedalus (gstar, no name or #). We assumed that the group in front of us left it behind so I threw it up to them, and I noticed right away how much I like the flight. They look it over and it doesn't belong to any of them, so they throw it back to me, missing horribly, and sending it off into the deepest jungle rough on the course. Bye brand new disc!

Last Sat at league the dude brings me the disc! He went in after it and somehow found it. I usually don't throw the high speed plastic, but I do like this disc. I be crushing it!

I've got a gorgeous GStar Daedalus proto sitting on my shelf. My recollection was that it liked to drift right... a lot. My form was pretty terrible in those days so I'll have to throw it back in the bag and see what it does.

How far are you chuckin' that thing, for reference?

The proto was retooled from -4 turn to -3 in the production models.

I have a proto (only ever run in GStar) and a champ Daedalus. My noodle arm likes this mold.

I have a GStar and Star Daedalus. The Star is more overstable for me than the GStar. I'm not bagging either, but I'll occasionally throw them on the range to see if I'm getting better overall. They're good discs, and the GStar Daedalus is really good in the winter months.

I've got a gorgeous GStar Daedalus proto sitting on my shelf. My recollection was that it liked to drift right... a lot. My form was pretty terrible in those days so I'll have to throw it back in the bag and see what it does.

How far are you chuckin' that thing, for reference?

I can get it out to around 300' in the field. I'll take 300' relatively straight any day!

I threw a Champ Daedalus and it was touchy, but absolutely bombed.

If I bagged one it would be my longest disc in calm conditions/tailwind.

Found a Champ Daedalus. It was a lot different than the older Champ plastic I'm used to. This Daedalus (with the grade-school bubble gum wtf font) was a gummy Champ. The grip on this disc was literally the same as my R-Pro Aviar. It has me realizing what I'm missing out on in terms of grip since I've stuck to older Champ for just about all my drivers.
I don't have a need for it, but it's a beauty on downhill holes where the higher speed rating keeps its spin for all that air time.

Found a Champ Daedalus. It was a lot different than the older Champ plastic I'm used to. This Daedalus (with the grade-school bubble gum wtf font) was a gummy Champ. The grip on this disc was literally the same as my R-Pro Aviar. It has me realizing what I'm missing out on in terms of grip since I've stuck to older Champ for just about all my drivers.
I don't have a need for it, but it's a beauty on downhill holes where the higher speed rating keeps its spin for all that air time.

Yep. The Champion Daedalus, like the Tern and Thunderbird are run in Jolly Launcher plastic. That blend is money.

Makes sense. I thought Jolly Launcher was just another name for translucent Champion. Didn't realize before that there are different Champ blends. So I'd be correct in saying all of my other Champs (Sidewinder, Starfire, TL, Eagle) are not Jolly Launcher?
Guess JL is a G-Champ, then.

JL is just the name for the current plastic type that they are calling Champ, it's really bright and clear, whereas older champ is smoky and more opaque.

If you can hold up a disc in front of a book and read through it, probably JL.

I describe it like this: "JL is to Champion what Cryztal is to Z,"
Although unlike Cryztal and Z, Innova doesn't designate JL any differently... it's just Champion plastic.

Last edited:
That's a good way to put it.

JL is just the name for the current plastic type that they are calling Champ, it's really bright and clear, whereas older champ is smoky and more opaque.

If you can hold up a disc in front of a book and read through it, probably JL.

So all new Champs are gummier JL? Characterizing by feel seems more useful, I have some pretty translucent old Champ. But my gummy Daedalus is tie dyed so hard to say.

I stopped caring the minute you said tie dyed... camo disc. I hate looking for those bastards.

Makes sense. I thought Jolly Launcher was just another name for translucent Champion. Didn't realize before that there are different Champ blends. So I'd be correct in saying all of my other Champs (Sidewinder, Starfire, TL, Eagle) are not Jolly Launcher?
Guess JL is a G-Champ, then.

JL is Innova's latest Champion. I'm sure slower moving molds will be made out of production or as demand dictates molded in JL once Innova can no longer find any more boxes stashed in the back of their warehouse:|

little hint: every disc mfg.'s plastic will vary from run to run. If you find a look and feel you like, buy a stack because next year's run may at a time fall when they're trying to make budget and sneak some other cheaper stuff in the plastic than you don't like, like swirls of some totally other color;) No worries, Innova wins either way since there will be some other dudes that like the new added stuff better.

On topic, I traded a buddy for his G star Daedalus. It was too fast for him and would only fade out. It's a little too understable in gstar at 400' but a champ version I've thrown really liked low straight hyzer flip lines just fine. I just added an Escape to my bag to cover similar lines.

little hint: every disc mfg.'s plastic will vary from run to run. If you find a look and feel you like, buy a stack because next year's run may at a time fall when they're trying to make budget and sneak some other cheaper stuff in the plastic than you don't like, like swirls of some totally other color;) No worries, Innova wins either way since there will be some other dudes that like the new added stuff better.

Isn't this the truth? No matter how it's received when it's the current run, someone's going to want it in a few years.

I always liked the opaque 11X Fairway/12X TBs, even when people complained about how they turned/were too overstable (yes, I've read both accounts). Now people are paying coin for them because, I guess, they're old. Regardless, people think they're now money.

I randomly found a star Daedalus on the course and have been trying it out on distance forehand shots. This thing as at the perfect stability for me for a hyzer flip forehand. I've finally cleaned up my forehand form a bit, so everything is flying more overstable than when my forehand form was utter crap. The star Daedalus understable enough to flip up to flat on a hyzer release, but not so much so that it'll continue to roll over and be uncontrollable off my forehand torque.

You mean 'flying more understable' thanks to improved form/power delivery/speed

You mean 'flying more understable' thanks to improved form/power delivery/speed

Nah, my forehand form was so oat+torque based that the only discs that didn't turn over were firebirds and pd2s.

Latest posts