• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro Line and Champion Spider question

ctvguitarist

Hey so just curious if anyone knows anything about this, I bought a champion spider off eBay because I liked my friends pro Line spider that was clear and sort of tacky feeling. The champion spider I got was more like a lid with plastic that had very little give and was bulby. I threw it in a river recently and needed a new one so I ordered a blue one. This champion spider is older in appearance, flatter, and much tackier feeling and is almost exactly the same as my friends pro Line spider.

I was just curious if anyone knows the history behind this. Was it just chance? Did the pro line turn into the champion and I got an early one? Just was wondering about it, thanks.

Hey so just curious if anyone knows anything about this, I bought a champion spider off eBay because I liked my friends pro Line spider that was clear and sort of tacky feeling. The champion spider I got was more like a lid with plastic that had very little give and was bulby. I threw it in a river recently and needed a new one so I ordered a blue one. This champion spider is older in appearance, flatter, and much tackier feeling and is almost exactly the same as my friends pro Line spider.

I was just curious if anyone knows the history behind this. Was it just chance? Did the pro line turn into the champion and I got an early one? Just was wondering about it, thanks.

The first runs of what we now know as Champion plastic were indeed labeled as Pro Line. This was somewhere around 2003, I believe. Firebirds, Valkyries, Beasts, Spiders...just a few of the molds run in Champion plastic that were stamped Pro line for a brief period.

Samples:

rare-pro-line-ce-beast-pre-barry-disc-golf-innova-ce-oop-pfn-climo-avery-55d53eebf0ed7a7da0c2a6e4dc0c6c3b.jpg

Last edited:
What JC said is 100% correct. It's definitely possible that the "Champion" labeled Spider that feels similar to your friend's Pro-Line, was produced near the same time frame, same plastic.

Yea that pearly champ plastic they used when the Orc first came out('04-'05?)...*insertDroolface* It was one of the first discs I fell in love with when I first started...

I still cant believe I tried to throw that shot over the lake... :doh:

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch guys! It's cool to see my friend and I have an interesting history between us of Innova's plastic transitions. Definitely won't be throwing this near any water.

Attachments

• 1232.jpg
    1232.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 57
Ok so if you all own spiders and I own several, if you haven't tried rolling them you should. Will roll dead straight then fall over, amazing shot

Ok so if you all own spiders and I own several, if you haven't tried rolling them you should. Will roll dead straight then fall over, amazing shot

Thanks for the idea, never thought to try it but I have a downhill hole at my home course that would be worth giving it a go on.

If you can find one with the mini proto stamp do what ever you need to do to make it legally yours. Those are C.E. spiders and they feel even better than the prolines. I do bag a mini stamp and a proline and throw them for @ 80% of my mid shots off the tee. The 'multi-purose' champ spiders are a touch more over-stable and still have a nice gummy feel. The most recent runs seem too stiff and the feel is a bit slicker. I'll throw one in if the weather hits above 90 degrees.

If you can find one with the mini proto stamp do what ever you need to do to make it legally yours. Those are C.E. spiders and they feel even better than the prolines. I do bag a mini stamp and a proline and throw them for @ 80% of my mid shots off the tee. The 'multi-purose' champ spiders are a touch more over-stable and still have a nice gummy feel. The most recent runs seem too stiff and the feel is a bit slicker. I'll throw one in if the weather hits above 90 degrees.
:thmbup:
Like these. The stamp has worn off the blue one that's always in my main bag during the summer.

Attachments

• CE Spider (1).jpg
    CE Spider (1).jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 44
  • White Spider.jpg
    White Spider.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 42

Hey I'm still a little new to some terms, do you have a picture of what a mini proto looks like? I did recently pick up this spider bellow which I really enjoy. Thanks for the info, I agree about the more recent run of Champion Spider, I didn't like how much harder it was.

*OOPS didn't see the response already

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 34
Mini Proto is that last post Jdub made. The first runs of Innova discs usually have that four point star logo. The newer ones are bigger, like this...

staraviar3orgss_sk.png

Anyone have anything to add about star spiders? I have a star that is so gummy! First star spiders I have seen. I have a couple champsIMG_20180405_123540.jpg

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Yea that pearly champ plastic they used when the Orc first came out('04-'05?)...*insertDroolface* It was one of the first discs I fell in love with when I first started...

I still cant believe I tried to throw that shot over the lake... :doh:

Oh Brutal how I share your sorrow. I had two of those Orcs and they were in my bag for years. As my game improved they became hyzer flip woods monsters and fantastic rollers. Same for the pearly wraiths. All gone now, but never forgotten.

Spiders!

DISClaimer: Oof, sorry for the poor photo quality here. Old phone :eek:

Anyway--

Upper left: SUPER pearly Pro-Line Spider. This is basically opaque with all of the swirls in it. Very similar to a lot of the 'first run' mini-proto-stars that you see.

Upper right: More translucent Pro-Line Spider. (You can see some of the wood grain through, even despite the glaring light and shoddy camera work.) I always suspected that this may have been a later run when the Pro-Line was getting to be more of a candy pro. Can't confirm for sure, just my guess.

Both of those are very gummy and grippy.

(The lower two F2's were much later run champ, almost like Jolly Launcher. They were very stiff and a little slick. For some reason they molded up with a lot more dome than the old Spiders.)

picture.php

Also, just for funsies, these are two of the PFN "Multi-Purpose" stamped Spiders. (Obviously both stamps have been wiped.) Per my observations they were just as gummy and grippy as the Pro-Lines, although not as pretty. Actually, the plastic was very similar to the blue Pro-Line above.

picture.php

DISClaimer: Oof, sorry for the poor photo quality here. Old phone :eek:

Anyway--

Upper left: SUPER pearly Pro-Line Spider. This is basically opaque with all of the swirls in it. Very similar to a lot of the 'first run' mini-proto-stars that you see.

Upper right: More translucent Pro-Line Spider. (You can see some of the wood grain through, even despite the glaring light and shoddy camera work.) I always suspected that this may have been a later run when the Pro-Line was getting to be more of a candy pro. Can't confirm for sure, just my guess.

Both of those are very gummy and grippy.

(The lower two F2's were much later run champ, almost like Jolly Launcher. They were very stiff and a little slick. For some reason they molded up with a lot more dome than the old Spiders.)

picture.php

Also, just for funsies, these are two of the PFN "Multi-Purpose" stamped Spiders. (Obviously both stamps have been wiped.) Per my observations they were just as gummy and grippy as the Pro-Lines, although not as pretty. Actually, the plastic was very similar to the blue Pro-Line above.

picture.php

I own 2 like those in the bottom pick. super gummy PFN. They sit in my yard around the practice basket. I really enjoy them and always tell myself I will add one to my bag, but never do. They are excellent approach putters when the wind is up just enough to doubt my wizards.

Just got this Spider to replace my old mini proto stamp green one that decided to lake itself after hitting a tree. This one flies even better than the one it replaced

Attachments

• IMG_1877.jpg
    IMG_1877.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts