• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Disc Thread v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the consensus amongst most thinkers on here that it is the archer not the arrow? Sure everyone wants to throw nice plastic that works for them but it's been shown time after time that good players throw almost any disc well.

100% Truth.

I think this much prodigy hype, whether it was intentionally or unintentionally, will hurt prodigy in the long run, defiantly not the beginning sales from all the hype, but when everyone else realize it's just another disc. I am interested in though, how they plan to change the game, and what they are going to do with all those pros they signed on! It's like a TV drama!

I think what Latitude did with the Saint was genius, though. If you remember, they really tempered expectations and talked about how differently it flew for different players and under different conditions. When the disc was released, players - not sponsored pros - did the talking, and we all know how that worked out.

Edit: There are plenty of bloggers out there *cough* me *cough* who would be more than happy to give an objective review if provided with the discs. But some companies - not saying Prodigy is one, because I don't know - only want sunshine reviews, not objectivity.

There are plenty of people in close proximity to certain bloggers *cough* me *cough* who would be more than happy to help with an objective review if said blogger was provided with the discs.

Im seriously only interested in their putter line. Youve got people that liked aviars, challengers and wizards. Each of those is a little different but in reality they are all very different! Big bead, Small bead, roundnose Bigbead. We shall see!

Im seriously only interested in their putter line. Youve got people that liked aviars, challengers and wizards. Each of those is a little different but in reality they are all very different! Big bead, Small bead, roundnose Bigbead. We shall see!

As long as they have a traditional big bead putter and a beadless lower profile putter every one of their team members should have no problem adjusting. I think the plastic blends they put their putters out in will be more important than the exact molds, I'm sure they'll put together molds their pros actually want to throw.

Originally Posted by Menacewarf
Isn't the consensus amongst most thinkers on here that it is the archer not the arrow? Sure everyone wants to throw nice plastic that works for them but it's been shown time after time that good players throw almost any disc well.

This may be true but that doesn't mean that improvements can't be made to make the discs fly longer or more consistently.

Research and development is very minimal right now. Disc design will really take off once wind tunnel testing is established. A throwing machine that can be adjusted in terms of speed, acceleration, and spin would be another valuable tool. Also, experimentation with different combinations of plastic, rubber, etc. is an area that hasn't been explored much. Inconsistency in plastic and the molding process is a problem.

As long as they have a traditional big bead putter and a beadless lower profile putter every one of their team members should have no problem adjusting. I think the plastic blends they put their putters out in will be more important than the exact molds, I'm sure they'll put together molds their pros actually want to throw.

Agreed With Jeremy liking CTs Im excited for that kind of blend being available again... Hopefully

Is it wrong to suspect Prodigy wouldn't let someone throw the discs who they expect wouldn't give them a favorable review? I haven't even seen a thorough review of the discs at all.

I just threw the D4 and D1 quite a bit this afternoon. These 2 discs are in Cincinnati and Prodigy has no control over who throws them.

I am very impressed. To me the hype was worth it so far. I will definitely buy a couple D4s and maybe a D1.
The D1 was not as stable as I expected and to me the D4 is not flippy. It has a great glide with a nice consistent fade. I was really impressed with the D4.
And I love the plastic!

Ask anyone at Prodigy if I am "in" with them. :)

Last edited:
The D1 in my opinion is not as over stable as one may think but
will still take a tremendous amount of torque.

Remember these were designed for players by players. I think most players
will find these discs to be a breathe of fresh air that our sport currently needs.

The D1 in my opinion is not as over stable as one may think but will still take a tremendous amount of torque.

will find these discs to be a breathe of fresh air that our sport currently needs.

We commented on this today, it is very stable but not a meat hook. So I would agree a breath of fresh air is a good way to put it. It also has a nice glide for a stable disc.

I should get my D3 in the mail early next week. If you are in the Houston area hit me up and we can go throw it a bit!!!

Research and development is very minimal right now. Disc design will really take off once wind tunnel testing is established. A throwing machine that can be adjusted in terms of speed, acceleration, and spin would be another valuable tool. Also, experimentation with different combinations of plastic, rubber, etc. is an area that hasn't been explored much. Inconsistency in plastic and the molding process is a problem.

Companies have actually tried a fair amount of mechanical and wind tunnel testing in the past, to not really that great of result. Discwing (English company), for example, did a ton of research on disc flight physics using wind tunnels, and produced the 'bullet-like rim' on the Quarter K as a result. Other companies have tried using mechanical throwing machines, and found the result was that the machines were "too perfect". A disc optimized around a 100% perfect throwing motion wouldn't necessarily perform well in the hands of even the best throwers, because even the best throwers aren't as consistent as the machine was. Basically, the 'best' discs in practice end up being discs that are very forgiving of small inconsistencies in form, technique, and environmental conditions, something that's incredibly difficult to simulate with a machine.

Personally, I'd like to see the next avenue for disc development be in skin surface micro-structure design. i.e. reducing skin surface friction without negatively impacting lift by better controlling the airflow across the surface of the disc via microscopic ridges on the surface of the disc. The topic is of a lot of interest in aviation (particularly for gliders) and aquatics (typically trying to mimic the skin surface microstructures found on organisms like sharks), and I think there's definite potential for increasing disc golf drive distances there, too.

The D1 in my opinion is not as over stable as one may think but
will still take a tremendous amount of torque.

Did you throw the one with the championesque/Z plastic? I threw one of those that I thought was a D1 (wasn't labeled), and it flew similar to a brand new C-line PD2. I'm not exactly a noodle arm, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.