• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proper Putting Form

innovamania

So when you clicked on this, if you did, you were probably thinking another person who wants the same tips on putting we give everyone. No those are easily searched for in other threads but what's not easy to find? Is actual advice on form. Most of the advice you see is about the mental game and not about how to actually putt. Theirs lots of info on proper driving form, (Reachback, Pull across the chest, The hit, OAT, Not griplocking, etc.) Lots of advice out there but not much on putting. So I wanted to use this thread to list some of the key points with putting. I know theirs so many styles out their and each person is different, nut their must be some things that are the same with everyone's putting. Here are a few I've found. Feel free to contribute your own too. Their's lots of members here who are probably more knowledgeable than me.

1. Weight Transfer
  2. Consistent Routine
  3. Lined up with target
These are what I've come up with. So what are some other parts of an ideal putt?

Breathing is very important. Getting a relaxed, comfortable breathing routine can help with timing and rhythm as well as calming your nerves and steadying your hand.

Im a firm believer of putting being VERY personal. Arm length, Arm slot, Wrist strength etc etc is very different for everyone.

Doesn't matter how you put the disc on the basket. Just make sure you do it the same way, every time.

So when you clicked on this, if you did, you were probably thinking another person who wants the same tips on putting we give everyone. No those are easily searched for in other threads but what's not easy to find? Is actual advice on form. Most of the advice you see is about the mental game and not about how to actually putt. Theirs lots of info on proper driving form, (Reachback, Pull across the chest, The hit, OAT, Not griplocking, etc.) Lots of advice out there but not much on putting. So I wanted to use this thread to list some of the key points with putting. I know theirs so many styles out their and each person is different, nut their must be some things that are the same with everyone's putting. Here are a few I've found. Feel free to contribute your own too. Their's lots of members here who are probably more knowledgeable than me.

1. Weight Transfer
  2. Consistent Routine
  3. Lined up with target
These are what I've come up with. So what are some other parts of an ideal putt?

That's a good start, can't argue with any of those and I think they translate to any putting style.

Weight transfer is a big one; I see a lot of folks struggle with "power" outside of 25 feet. Similar to throwing drives, the power comes from the legs/hips/weight transfer. Get that right and you're still putting, effortlessly, well outside of the circle.

Following Dan's "Putter Vision", I'll add keeping one's eye on the target throughout the backswing and release. This is also known as "keeping your chin up!" A good way to make it routine is to train yourself not to watch the flight of the putter after release; keep your eye on the target until the disc hits it, or hits the ground.

Another suggestion is follow-through. Lack of follow-through, or short-arming, usually comes from being tentative and afraid of a miss. Swing through the putting motion and reach for the basket.

Those things work for me whether I'm spin, pitch, or straddle putting. In other words, if I'm making my putts I'm doing those things, plus the ones mentioned above.

Along with weight transfer, balance is really important. I've missed some relatively easy putts because at the last second my stance felt "off" and my balance was not good. I should have reset, but stubbornly went on and missed the putt. Get comfortable, in an "athletic" posture (whatever that means to you).

Im a firm believer of putting being VERY personal. Arm length, Arm slot, Wrist strength etc etc is very different for everyone.

Agreed. Really just find a routine and motion that feel comfortable and then put the biscuit in the basket.

Don't float it, line drive at a chain link. Sure, when I miss metal I have another sometimes longer putt, but that doesn't happen too often.

Don't float it, line drive at a chain link.
That might work for you, but not for OP. And it doesn't work for Nikko Locastro and Ricky Wysocki, two of the best players in the game.

There is no right and wrong when you putt. Some guys straddle, or turbo, or spin, or push, or float, or line drive. Some have a looong pre-putt routine and some walk up and just bang the chains without thinking about it.

The best advice given here is to be comfortable in whatever you choose, and just start making putts. That's all there is to it.

I always aim for the center pole. To heck with the chain links, if I hit the pole, I should land in the bottom of the basket.

Also, my stance changes with distance. My feet and shoulders are square with pin within 30 feet. As distance increases, I get more parallel with pin and draw more across the chest.

Along with weight transfer, balance is really important. I've missed some relatively easy putts because at the last second my stance felt "off" and my balance was not good. I should have reset, but stubbornly went on and missed the putt. Get comfortable, in an "athletic" posture (whatever that means to you).

This is key for my putts. I need to get my body low to feel in a balanced and "athletic" posture; very much a wrestling crouch.

Also significantly increased my accuracy with super-focused "putter vision". Once in my putting stance (crouch) my eyes don't deviate from the basket pole until the disc hits metal or earth...

Routine. Once I developed a repeatable routine, my putting went through the roof (although that's not saying much).

I walk up pick a chain link, point my front foot at said chain link (just right of center, unless it's a straddle, then pole), three up and downs with my arm to flatten out the disc, and release. Almost identical every time. If I miss anywhere in the circle, it's usually because something in my routine was off. Or wind....dammit I hate wind.