• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Propose your new ranking/ratings system

Consider what happens when it's just a one hole course, you against McBeth. If he shoots 2 and you shoot 3, it might be 150 pts per throw although we know it's ridiculous to calculate.

With one lucky shot, I beat him and have a 1200 rated round!

The reason the points per throw changes is due to scoring compression the easier the course. On a 50 SSA course, it's 10 points per throw. We started with that number because it was easy and many courses at the time and even today are within a few throws of 50 SSA. So a 1000 rated player would beat a 950 player by 5 throws on average on a 50 SSA course. What we discovered is the 1000 rated player beats the 950 player by 7 on average on a 65 SSA course. The ratings of the players are the same but the scoring spread is now 7. That means each throw is basically worth 7 pts in that SSA range.

There's an SSA in the 40s where the 1000 rated player can only beat the 950 player by 4 throws on average. At that SSA, the points per throw have to be worth 12.5 pts per throw for conservation of points between the two players. Because there's enough flukiness is scores with cut-thrus, bounce outs and rollaways, and top players like Uli can't shoot better than 36 even on easy courses, this compression effect can make it difficult for these players to shoot their rating, especially in leagues with less pressure than an A-tier or higher.

But the same thing is true in ball golf. Their top pros don't play in leagues with handicaps on executive or par 3 courses. They can occasionally get beaten by locals especially using handicaps. We're looking into a way to handle this issue so players above 1000 rating can play sanctioned leagues and not risk lowering their rating.

I'll try to sneak this in before edit deadline. Fewer holes is even more score compression than 18 for the same SSA per hole. Consider what happens when it's just a one hole course, you against McBeth. If he shoots 2 and you shoot 3, it might be 150 pts per throw although we know it's ridiculous to calculate.

Of course, the problem is that if he gets a deuce and I throw OB, lay up, then miss a putt for a 5 -- at 150 RPS my round rating is 603. Not fair Mr. Kennedy. (;))

My guess is what happens is that score compression (minimal variance) is occurring only on the side of the distribution where the better players are butting up against the practical minimum score. On the other tail of the distribution the scores of players like me are not (or less) compressed, creating essentially separate populations. Tough to be you, huh?

As a sidenote, the 2014 Bad Monkey had a weird twist, which may well be seen only on easier courses. There was an exhibition match after the tournament featuring the top four finishers. Strangely, each of the four came from a different division: MA1 (106), MM1(106), MG1 (105), and MA2 (105). So, you know, there are pluses to balance the ratings rant ... and btw, the MG1 is PDGA #163.

1) Drop down to 3 unrestricted amateur divisions instead of 4: Many events only want 3 unrestricted amateur divisions. When you try to force a 4 division ratings breakout into a 3 division event, it just doesn't work.

Actually having 4 Am divisions makes it much easier for us to offer split day events where two Am divisions play on Saturday and two on Sunday.

2) Change the names of the divisions. Divisions should be skill based, not years experience based. The current names make low rated players who have been playing for years feel like they don't belong in MA4.

For our events we refer to the divisions as Am1, Am2, Am3, Am4 for precisely that reason (to get rid of the stigma of playing in a division called Recreational or Novice).

Anyone can do it, though, and demonstrate the its superiority. Perfectly fine under PDGA guidelines, as long as you announce it in advance.

For that matter, I've done it---with a few asterisks involved.

I think they should lower the renewal fee for pdga but make every pdga tourny a requirment to be a member. that way everyone has a rating and you get placed in your divisiopn according to your rating

Latest posts