• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro's and Con's of Backpack bags and Shoulder Bags

DiscGolfMaster

Par Member
I'm pretty new to the backpack disc golf bags, but right away I noticed some differences between carrying a backpack style bag and a shoulder bag.

I'll start with the Shoulder Bag:

Pro's

Lightweight.

You don't have to bend over at all to set it on the ground.

Easily accessible while walking.

Since you can pick your disc out before putting the bag down, you end up bending over less compared to a backpack bag that you have to set down before choosing a disc.

Plenty of storage, you can get some pretty big shoulder bags.

Easier to take it off and on, or at least quicker.

Generally pretty cheap.

Con's

Probably the biggest one, it hangs on your side so it throws off your overall balance a little bit.

If you have a lot of discs and tons of stuff you want to take with you, your shoulder bag will weigh on you heavily and could possible cause some long term damage to your shoulder(s). I've heard several pro's accuse this style bag of not being the best in the long term.

Sometimes you have to steady the bag since it's kind of swinging on your shoulder a bit.

Backpack

Pro's

Biggest one, Balance. There is a reason why hikers have stuck with backpacks for so many years. It's a tried and true way of safely carrying a large amount of weight around for long periods of time.

Comfortable

Storage is fantastic, and you don't feel guilty for carrying a few extras since it's easy to.

It can easily accommodate a fold up stool.

Both hands are completely free to do things like take score (or hold your spouses hand ;)) since you never feel the need to steady your bag.

Easy to do short putts with it on if you want.

Con's

Biggest one for me: No matter the temperature outside, it makes my back sweat. I was shivering a little this morning when we started, but by the end of a short par 3 course my back was sweating/shirt wet with sweat because the backpack doesn't allow it to breathe. And I'm not usually a sweaty guy. Maybe in the dead of winter, this will be a good thing, extra warmth and all, but not good right now, even in the Fall.

Can't access it while walking. Just an example: You putt, put on you bag, retrieve you putter from the basket and now you're stuck holding your putter unless you want to put your bag back down to put it in. Or putt, retrieve your putter, then walk all the way back to your bag, put it in and put it on. Not ideal in my opinion.

Generally pretty expensive

Large and bulky, can be hard to store it, compared to a shoulder bag anyway.

Overall I think I prefer a shoulder bag. It's cooler (no back sweat), lighter, easily accessible, and quicker to use. I don't take much when I golf. My discs, a towel, birdie bag, and a small bottle of water. I know a lot of guys take tons of stuff like giant water bottles, stools, snacks, etc. But for me, I prefer a shoulder bag at least for now. Maybe some of my nitpicking observations will be useful to someone debating a backpack or larger shoulder back :).

I can't really add much to your post. I have a Fossa Pro backpack, a Fade Crunch box and an Innova standard bag and my favorite way to play is still with the Innova bag. It's light, quick and easy, holds what I need for a few rounds and I don't need to carry 64oz of water.

The backpack is nice for tournament play when I can carry all I need and play is slower, but for casual rounds I find backpacks to be a pain in the a$$! Constantly lifting it and taking it on and off takes more of a toll on my shoulders than carrying a simple bag.

I always carry my backpack bag fully loaded with 21 discs, two 32oz drinks, and the usual other stuff. Part of the reason is because I like the workout of walking with the extra weight. Haven't noticed the sweat issue other than in the summer heat when I'd be sweating anyway. And it's centered on my back which is a huge plus vs a shoulder bag (without backpack straps).

I really like(d) my Innova DISCarrier bag because of all that it could carry. With quad straps it wasn't really a shoulder bag anymore. The workout with the extra weight, though, started bothering my knees.

As far as backpacks, to get around the knee problem and carrying the extra weight I picked up a Magellan (still $29 at Academy) and was easily able to attach it to my old ball golf pull cart with just a slight and easy mod. Problem solved.

The low price of single shoulder bags is a big selling point, but it's just as easily find cheap backpack bags from Goodwill or Salvation Army and mod them to be comfortable for less money than dg purses. Single shoulder bags are uncomfortable and annoying to me. I have small backpack modded with longer shoulder straps and quick releases for short courses. Easy off, easy on.

I've never had a back sweat issue from a backpack bag.

Just because it has two straps doesn't mean you need to use both every time you put it on. And to this point, if just using one strap for a quick walk, you can sling it off your shoulder and retrieve a disc before setting it down.

The grab handles at the top of most backpacks mean you dont have to bend over as far to pick it up.

TLDR: I disagree with some of your backpack cons.

I have a Fade Crunch Box with Innova backpack straps on it. I rarely use the straps and carry it as a shoulder bag. Mostly because on short courses and the relatively short distance that I can throw a disc, the walk to my disc is pretty quick, so using it as a backpack is kind of a pain. I spend more time putting my bag on and taking it off than I doing discing. Shoulder bag is the way to go for me until I start carrying more than 12 discs and one water bottle or playing longer, more spread-out courses.

Can't access it while walking. Just an example: You putt, put on you bag, retrieve you putter from the basket and now you're stuck holding your putter unless you want to put your bag back down to put it in. Or putt, retrieve your putter, then walk all the way back to your bag, put it in and put it on. Not ideal in my opinion.

Going to disagree with your example. I can put my Grip C14 on after I make my putt and retrieve my putter and slide it easily into the putter quiver while the bag is on my back. Even carrying 3 putters in the quiver it still slides right into the compartment as I walk on. :thmbup:

Also when paired with my stool I hardly have to bend over at all. Place the backpack on the stool and it is easy access to all my discs. Granted this would also work with a shoulder bag so if you want less back bending invest in a stool. Keeps the bag off the ground and away from wet/snow/muddy ground.

I find the backpack better equipped for bad weather rounds here in Michigan. The ability to strap on an umbrella to the bag and carry slightly more gear is beneficial. As you mentioned the balance is better for walking in the snow as well.

To each his/her own, love my Grip C14 bag but also kept my Fade Crunch shoulder bag. Whatever works best for the individual is the way to go. A comfortable golfer is a happy golfer, whichever bags allows you to play as many holes as possible is the way to go. :D

I'm a bag-with-quad-straps guy. Though even when I used a shoulder strap, I never played with it on. I suspect your usage is an outlier.

But a backpack is easier on the back. A Broken Shoulder says, when you take it off, you can pick it up much easier with the higher handle. In many packs you can store putter and frequently-used discs higher, reducing the number of times you have to bend over much at all. And definitely easier carrying a lot of weight, over a long course.

Try both, decide for yourself. Everyone's needs are different.

I like shoulder bags for casual rounds, especially solo ones, because of how frequently I need to set it down, get a disc, and then pick it up again.

Backpacks are better for the slower pace of tournament play where you have a lot more time standing around between throws.

Having your putter(s) in your hand while you walk to the next tee is a pro, not a con.
Having putters in your hand at work, while you watch TV, while you walk around the house, while you walk your dog, etc -- all pros. The more time you spend getting used the feel of your putter, the more it feels like it belongs in your hand, the better you'll putt. Plain and simple.

Otherwise, you hit all the main points.

For my part:

Taking 8-11 discs out for a quick spin on a shorter course? Spider Monkey over my shoulder.
Taking 15+ out to a real course, Octothorpe.

I think that a backpack is valuable during a tournament. I use the extra storage much more during a long, 2 round day (for food, backups, extra water, clothing, scorecards, pencils).

For most normal rounds, I carry a small bag with a single shoulder strap with discs and a towel. I personally don't like the form or function of a big bag with quad straps

For a normal causal player I think a backpack is overkill, but to each their own...

I love my Nutsac shoulder bag. It holds up to 8 discs with a front pocket for my mini and a towel. It also has a drink carrier. Pros include extremely light weight and durable canvas construction. It's so comfortable I don't need to take it off for putting or even most upshots. The only con I've found is the rounded bottom means it doesn't sit flat on the ground. I usually just hang it from the tee sign while driving. I'm something of a minimalist and only carry six discs at most. I just can't see carrying a lot of plastic I probably won't need anyway. Lastly, the regular size Nutsac (they make a double, too) is, I think, stylish as hell.

When its super hot out I'll use my voodoo shoulder bag for a quick round keeps my back cooler.

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

I use a backpack because its de rigueur.

I end up carrying it with the top handle most of the time when I play, like a duffle, and the straps get when when I put it down, but I look good yo.

Around here, at least among the players I see, the tendency has definitely been towards backpacks. Once people have tried backpacks---and thus, have experience with backpacks and smaller bags---it seems the overwhelming majority stick with the backpacks. I think it says something about the virtues of them. (Either that, or they've spent the money so they're darn well going to use it).

I'm an outlier in this crowd, having tried a backpack once, and abandoned it.

I currently own 3 backpack style bags and have had around 8 different ones.

The sling/shoulder strap stuff just never really clicked for me. I was able to use an old Ecko designs school bag for one of my first DG set ups which my little brother is still rocking and picked up a local Midwest bigbox store hiking style bag that worked great for a few seasons as well. I only paid $30 for that bag and my DG buddy uses it to this day.

When it comes to hiking out on longer courses or ones with lots of elevation etc the backpack style bag cannot be beat. I can put so much **** in my rebel along with discs and it does not feel very heavy at all. Convenience and function adds a lot to replay of a course or making a day of DG. I think the biggest problem with a lot of players you see with huge bags is loading them full of stuff just B/C it can hold it vs need. A slimmed up backpack style bag feels so light you could play all damn day but maxing them out is where it can get ugly. I don't even carry my flak3 it just rolls on a luggage cart and works great.

never really cared about sweat as the bag really doesn't stay on that long for one period of time. I cant say a backpack has caused me to sweat more lol. The weather and clothing certainly do. my damn hands tho! ...coffee and stuff...

Last edited:
Around here, at least among the players I see, the tendency has definitely been towards backpacks. Once people have tried backpacks---and thus, have experience with backpacks and smaller bags---it seems the overwhelming majority stick with the backpacks. I think it says something about the virtues of them. (Either that, or they've spent the money so they're darn well going to use it).

I'm an outlier in this crowd, having tried a backpack once, and abandoned it.

You forgot the other option; Or, a lot of backpackers just trying to look the part. I imagine most of us have seen those guys who have Grips loaded to the max with one putter, one mid and 20 drivers who can't throw 300ft.

Backpacks are also good for the guys who only carry a few discs and lot's of beer. :p

The last PDGA event I was at was dominated by carts. I don't use one, but gonna throw that out there.

Thanks for all the awesome comments, and I hope that those who didn't comment had a good read :).

I don't have any experience with using a cart, so I couldn't do a pro and con about them. Not interested at all in rolling a cart over roots and up hills I can tell you that lol.

I should have put the easy to reach top handle as a pro for the backpack, forgot about that.

You really go through that much liquid, Consult, when you play? I guess it depends on how long you're out there golfing, and how hot it is. Me and my wife are fast players. And even if we play 36 holes in one go, we wouldn't drink that much combined, not even close lol. Hydrating well before you play, is better than doing it while you play.

"Also when paired with my stool I hardly have to bend over at all. Place the backpack on the stool and it is easy access to all my discs. Granted this would also work with a shoulder bag so if you want less back bending invest in a stool. Keeps the bag off the ground and away from wet/snow/muddy ground."

A stool adds weight and time to the round. Not a fan of either. Guess I'd rather bend over is what I'm saying. I like to play fast, so setting up camp next to each lie isn't going to work for me personally.

"Going to disagree with your example. I can put my Grip C14 on after I make my putt and retrieve my putter and slide it easily into the putter quiver while the bag is on my back. Even carrying 3 putters in the quiver it still slides right into the compartment as I walk on."

That's cool, wasn't really possible with my bag. Kinda was, but it was so awkward and difficult it wasn't worth mentioning lol. Good to know though if I ever consider a nice high quality backpack.

Latest posts