• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Push and pitch putt

azplaya25

Double Eagle Member
In my quest to find a different out besides my inconsistent spin putt that was a 3 putt machine, I've found that I've developed two types of putts. My pitch putt seems kind of like tossing a horseshoe, I kind of lob/swing the disc at the basket in a kettlebell swing motion. This putt leaves the shortest comebacks but requires a high ceiling and I sometimes miss right if I don't swing straight up and down. I've also developed a push putt where I push the disc with the back of my hand and flick it out with my fingers. Kind of like throws an underhand dart. This putt is better for a low ceiling, and when it's on, definitely the more accurate of the two. The problem is getting the really right is kind of touchy and I often lose the feel for it and end up just flicking wobbly wounded ducks at the basket.

Is this common for other push/pitch putters to have a distinct pitch/lob and push putt?

I personally use 3, the push putt similar to what you describe for circle 1, a spin putt for circle 2, and a lob putt (Ricky Wysocki style) when there is a rollaway danger, and from outside circle 2--I call those 'half runs'. If they go in it is a bonus but they usually stay close to the pin.

I am not great at any of them though, so take my comment with a grain of salt. :)

I use a Spinning Push putt that is one of the best styles to use, yeah it is more a lob style but the miss is then closer to the basket. Also this tends to work on 90% of chain style baskets or specific Chain style tone poles.

My brother wants me to do the Standing drive putt standing sideways and driving the across the body at the middle of ribcage, driving so hard into the pole where the chains are I am making baskets for a course that are set in the ground wobble on the putt. This only works if you are like my brother and have 100% accuracy without ever ever ever trying. When I do it, the left and right are so far off I will never end up in the basket. This is also a type of long approach shot you see as well, that style of drive into the basket. He would never be able to putt into a basket that is an old style Mach II or orginal 10/12 chain baskets, the discs would cut through on most of those putts should you just miss the pole and hit the edge chains to either side of the pole.

Last edited:
I use a Spinning Push putt that is one of the best styles to use, yeah it is more a lob style but the miss is then closer to the basket. Also this tends to work on 90% of chain style baskets or specific Chain style tone poles.

My brother wants me to do the Standing drive putt standing sideways and driving the across the body at the middle of ribcage, driving so hard into the pole where the chains are I am making baskets for a course that are set in the ground wobble on the putt. This only works if you are like my brother and have 100% accuracy without ever ever ever trying. When I do it, the left and right are so far off I will never end up in the basket. This is also a type of long approach shot you see as well, that style of drive into the basket. He would never be able to putt into a basket that is an old style Mach II or orginal 10/12 chain baskets, the discs would cut through on most of those putts should you just miss the pole and hit the edge chains to either side of the pole.

I am trying to fix my putt so it is not so lob more but more push/spin putt style mix as the lob is having to use X, Y, and Z Axis and the push uses more the X, and Y only as the disc ends up going straight into the basket. So basically the same putt just less lob to the push, getting better speed.

Spush is the way. McBeth's "Load n' Splode" clinic is still the best in my opinion.

I also think it's valuable to watch the OG Feldberg push putt clinic.

I think both extremes are silly and some sort of hybrid has much more potential especially for most Ams.

Spush is the way. McBeth's "Load n' Splode" clinic is still the best in my opinion.

I also think it's valuable to watch the OG Feldberg push putt clinic.

I think both extremes are silly and some sort of hybrid has much more potential especially for most Ams.

I agree. I've moved away from trying to learn a true push putt. Not even trying to label or analyze my putt anymore. I basically just get in a balanced, comfortable stance, make a confident, athletic move towards the basket, and putt the disc in the fckn chains. Everything else I've tried has lead me down some rabbit trail that hasn't resulted in any additional consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts