• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Push Putting Woes

ChipsaHoey765

I've switched to a push putt months ago. Straddled til about 2 weeks ago and I stagger (wysocki style) because I kept missing left to right while straddling.

Anything past 25' is sketchy. The disc flops 10' out of my hand wobbled and nose down. Is this a timing issue? Finger spring? Should I post a vid?

And seeing as you live in Indiana you should stick with it next summer and see how it works. Unless you have indoor putting options. Most don't. Practicing putting in winter outside is, well, not ideal. Cold hands/fingers, wet/cold discs, poor footing etc. Putting is hard.

And seeing as you live in Indiana you should stick with it next summer and see how it works. Unless you have indoor putting options. Most don't. Practicing putting in winter outside is, well, not ideal. Cold hands/fingers, wet/cold discs, poor footing etc. Putting is hard.

I print tshirts for a living and the building used to be a YMCA. So I do have a practice basket set up in the racket ball room!😁
I went and played a round for the first time in 3 weeks and shot pretty decent. Missed a couple of 30 footers so that's why I'm asking.

Inside at work I have 10, 15, 20, 25, 30feet measured off and I get it there fine. Maybe it was just a bad day

I've switched to a push putt months ago. Straddled til about 2 weeks ago and I stagger (wysocki style) because I kept missing left to right while straddling.

Anything past 25' is sketchy. The disc flops 10' out of my hand wobbled and nose down. Is this a timing issue? Finger spring? Should I post a vid?

Most likely you are trying to produce the power too much with your arm. And the unconnected arm is throwing you off balance when you are trying to add power. Imagine firing a punch without starting from the ground up... Most of the energy goes wasted just to keep you from not faceplanting. Thats what you are trying to do.

Find a nice rocking motion to produce power from the ground up. Arm is relatively passive and just follows that rocking motion. You are going to need relaxed arm and shoulder. Stiff arm/shoulder is not connected to the body. Also I suggest going for Ricky/Nikko down-up putt. Much easier to stay balanced.

More leg. I can straddle push a putt out to about 40' now and it's almost all legs and timing.

It takes some getting used to, sometimes I have those days where my putt just collapses like you describe. It's almost always my timing being off, or just not getting a good pop off the fingertips.

Best putting exercise you can practice year round is sitting on the couch. While watching TV or whatever; sit on the couch,disc in hand, with your arm on the arm rest but pointing straight up. Practice throwing the disc using only a small wrist flick and finger spring without lifting your elbow off of the arm rest. Make sure it goes straight up and you can catch it without moving your elbow.

If you get that finger pop dialed in you can pretty much just lift your arm low to high right at the pole from about 20-25' out as long as you keep your upper body vertical (if you cant see your toes on your lead foot you are leaning too far forward). Anything outside that range you just use more legs.

Keeping yourself vertical is a huge part out of all of this, that's why I mentioned being able to see your toes. A lot of people tend to lean too far forward with their putts. Once your wrist goes above the shoulder your body has a tendency to kick the back leg behind you to keep balance. It causes the arm to pull wide. Try a couple practice putts with no disc to see what I mean. If you keep the hand below the shoulder you stay on line. Go higher and your arm naturally kicks wide (right).

Hello fellow nose-down push putter.

Wobbly, short push putts are almost always the result of not getting enough spin on the disc. Spin putters obviously don't have to deal with this. It's a problem unique to us. We have to generate spin & glide another way.

If you're a pure pusher, you need to spring your fingers more. Try squeezing the disc just a touch harder. After experiencing the same issue you're dealing with, I switched to a spush (straight elbow, active wrist). Wasn't very much of a change mechanically, plus it stopped the wobbly knuckleballs.

If you're Ricky fan, this is gold. He did a great job here. "Pop & Stop" booyah...

fwiw: He spins the disc alot more than people realize. ;)

Hello fellow nose-down push putter.

Wobbly, short push putts are almost always the result of not getting enough spin on the disc. Spin putters obviously don't have to deal with this. It's a problem unique to us. We have to generate spin & glide another way.

If you're a pure pusher, you need to spring your fingers more. Try squeezing the disc just a touch harder. After experiencing the same issue you're dealing with, I switched to a spush (straight elbow, active wrist). Wasn't very much of a change mechanically, plus it stopped the wobbly knuckleballs.

I do the same pushing spin putt and the disc still wobbles more then the disc should, most of mine though is not having a flat enough toss in the throwing and why the non throwing hand is on the disc open as a track with no thumb on top plate of disc or I pull it to the left or rip out of non throwing hand it to the right when I putt if thumb is on top plate of disc and that keeps the disc flying with only the micro wobbles when I putt correct with the hands.

If your push putts are wobbly, then you aren't spinning it enough. You don't actually want to throw a knuckle ball. I find tucking the pinky under the rim fixes this issue for me (using a fan grip).

Also, from what I understand (I'm not very good though), the key to push putting is timing your release with your body weight shift. you really need to get at least half your power out of your legs. And time all that with a little pop out of your wrist. When you do it all simultaneously, you can push putt out to 40 feet without any wobble, and without feeling like you are strong arming your putts. It's all timing.

Slow pendelum

I do the stagger stance as well and the adjustment I made works fast, while in your stance swing your arm like a pendulum to the basket. When ready just do a nice slow down motion and follow through smoothly. It can seem there won't be enough power from 25 to 30 ft but more often than not it will hit middle basket