• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter and Mid-Range Weights

toothyfish

* Ace Member *
I know there is a bit of subjectivy to this, but I'm curious what is used in general.

All of my active discs are about 167-168, putters, mids, drivers, and so on. But as I've read, I get the feeling that many of you prefer putters and mids that are a bit heavier. I think I'm at a good weight for drivers, based on distance, ability, etc (thanks to those in my other posts) throwing about 300-340 or so.

But wondered if I would benefit from heavier (say 172-173) for the shorter range stuff? More control? Less turnover? Reduced effects of the wind? I admit that my putter does turnover on longer throws and have had nice approach shots "pushed" by light breezes.

I use max weight mids and putters. For drivers, BH high 160's, FH max weight. I feel that max weight discs are less effected by wind than their light weight counterparts.

I like to throw putters in the 150's because I feel like I can really control where they go. Try a really light one out.

I like my 175 Voodoo putter. With that wieght, I tend to throw it hard at the chains and know that if I miss it won't go to far. I feel it spins a little better once released than compared to my lighter weight Aviars.

I always go max weight with putters, ~169 with mids and drivers with a few 150 drivers and a few max wieght drivers and mids.

After having a number of my putts or very short approach shorts take off during a windy round I always use a 175g putter. As for my midrange I purchased a 169g FLX Buzz quite a while ago and am it is still working for me even though pretty much all my other discs are heavier.

My usual putter is 169g. If there's significant wind, I abandon the putter and use my 177g Drone.

I'd keep with the light putter for putting, but a heavy one (max weight) will probably be better for driving. They seem to keep their momentum better. I like somewhere in the middle for approaches.

You might be able to get away with little heavier mids and control drivers (low to mid 170's) and gain some control without sacrificing distance, depending on what drivers you throw.

You're probably right on for slow distance drivers.

Max weight for putters.
More predictable in windy conditions, more likely to drop if it misses.

id say use what works for your putter. putters can be so different from each others let alone if u throw weights in there. putting to me is all about the feel. use what weight feels right.

for mid range i always try to go max weight and have a double a tad lighter for tail wind and less fade. i also carry a really beat 150 shark for super hyzer flips. but for the most part, max weight mids do what they were made for when thrown hard. id rather throw a 250 putter than a 250 light mid.

Some good info here. I think I'll try a heavier putter and a mid or two and compare...curious to see changes in stability, control, and wind influence for a given model.

I generally recommend max weight in putters because of wind. You throw a 150g Aviar on a windy day and you'll be cussing the whole way 'round the course.

Max weight for actual putting. I might go down a notch (170-172) for an approach putter if its calm. I might upgrade to a Drone on approaches if its windy.

172 for all my putters, I don't like dicking around with different weighted putters so 172 is a nice comfortable medium for me. That being said, I need to practice my putting.

If you've got the arm go heavy! I find that I have more control with the heavy discs (175 is my fav). I tend to pull light discs and they are more effected by the wind. You'll find that most pros prefer heavy discs as well.

178 mid, 172 or more for putter.

I don't feel that the weight matters much for putters, the wing shape on them makes them dead leaves in fall in a good wind regardless of their weight.

I use max weight mids and putters. For drivers, BH high 160's, FH max weight. I feel that max weight discs are less effected by wind than their light weight counterparts.

I am almost exactly the same.....my putters are all 170-172g.....mids are all 172-175g.......backhand drivers 162-168......forehand drivers all max, except my destroyers, 169g star, and 171g bottom stamp star.

My theory on putters is this....find what works/feels right to you and stay with it. If you have friends you play with on a regular basis, and they have a different putter or weight, ask to try it a few times at a basket. I tend to like a heavier putter but not max weight. I play many courses during the year, and all are very different, from very hilly, to wide open/flat. The heavier weight helps if there is a bit of wind, and gives you the stability when you throw it as a driver. Once you do find a putter that "fits".....get backups. And they don't have to be all at one time, but just remember the weight. Then maybe at different times during the year, get an extra, or ask for b-day, Christmas, etc...... When you practice putting use all the same, you may even find that one is more consitant for you than all the others, even if they are all the same disc. I have 4 identical blowflys<putters>, but one is my primary putter, the rest are backups/practice throwers. If you have confidence in your disc, you tend to putt better. If you know you have backups, you are not mentally "scared" to lose your putter, and you have more confidence.
Anyway...my $.02.....may or may not work for everyone