• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter for Driving

Kattrax

Did not see this posted any where. Please forgive me if i over looked it.
When using a Putter for driving. Do you prefer a lighter weight. Like you would for a driver if you are a beginner. Or would you rather have the 170's like the one you use for putting?

I love both judges in prime and wizards (chalky and stiff) 170+. The wizard being just a little bit more os and better in the wind. The judge tends to have a better glide. Both are good for cycling. I also bag a Jokeri. It is a great all around os putter for throwing both bh and fh. I prefer 170+ because the wind will push lighter putters around. I do like a 160-165 for closer finesse up shots when the wind is not a factor.

Last edited:
There's nothing inherently 'wrong' about using a putter for drives.

Because most are neutral, they are excellent for shot-shaping and control. Using them often should also improve your technique, as a high power shot with a putter requires 'cleanliness' to achieve good results. Both of these factors may help one accelerate through one's learning curve more quickly.

On the down side, despite the obvious situational shortcomings, they require much more effort and are rarely the best choice for a round when your sole intent is exclusively to score well. Most learners will quickly grasp the fact that any mold is merely a tool and your task as a golfer should be to use the most apt tool for your work...

Regarding weights: imo, the less a player's experience level, the less small weight differences will really matter in terms of results. In general, it's better to cycle a few units of the same mold and weight for learning.

I like drivers in the 160s and max weight putters, regardless of whether they're throwing putters or putting putters. You just get fewer unexpected results with max weight putters. The reason you would want a disc in a lighter weight is so that you can get it up to its intended speed and get the expected flight path out of it, but you shouldn't have a problem getting putters up to their intended speed so I see no reason to use lower weight putters. Maybe if you are getting putters for a school disc golf program then I could see the kids needing lighter putters, but most adults are probably better off with max weight putters. Of course people's bodies vary and certainly some people might prefer lighter weight putters, but without knowing anything about you I would say it's probably better for you to throw max weight putters just because these discs don't require very high arm speeds to throw properly in the first place.

I like heavier putters...but a few grams really doesn't matter. But IMO when you throw a putter it's for a consistent flight, not max distance, so I'd rather the disc have every opportunity to handle power and breeze by having it be a heavier weight. That being said light floaty putter throws I bet are fun to throw, I haven't tried them but just saying I can see the appeal. But I like the consistency of a heavier weight disc in these situations. Even if I want a putter for turnover throws I'd rather it be a 170+ weight.

My 150g Banger GT is my longest putter for putting and driving. I normally throw max weight Banger GTs though, but for really long putts or straight drives I'll throw the 150g if it's in my bag at the time.

I generally prefer driving putters above 170gr.

But I also bag a 160gr Wizard, it gets used quite often for longer putts and upshots where I have a restricted reach back

174-176 exactly, actually I buy all of my discs between 174-178 for consistency with my putter (it works for me) back to driving putters. Depends on the situation most of the time if I'm driving with a putter it's my pure, it's super neutral and flies about 200'-220' with just a clean release (still trying to find a good putter for mild headwinds) or my harp of course, my harp in BT hard is what you'd think a meat hook(now that it's got some miles on it I can flex it and throw it longer before the inevitable hard crashing bricky fade) I feel that heavy is what you want because the wind will eff up a putter shot. That's my take, anyone have any suggestions on good headwind putters that aren't the challenger and have less fade than the harp please drop them on me.

Envy is probably my favorite driving putter. I bag a Harp also, which I replaced with a Jokeri for awhile but went back to the Harp eventually. I use a Fluid Judge for putting but will also throw it off the tee on short holes. Both my Envy and Judge are 173g.

When using a Putter for driving. Do you prefer a lighter weight. Like you would for a driver if you are a beginner. Or would you rather have the 170's like the one you use for putting?

I prefer to use heavy weights because I torque alot when I throw, and usually I can't turn over a super heavy disc, but if it is lighter I might. I would recommend something above 165 though.

There's nothing inherently 'wrong' about using a putter for drives. They are often good choices on short holes or holes that absolutely require that you stay in the fairway.

Because most are neutral, they are excellent for shot-shaping and control. Using them often should also improve your technique, as a high power shot with a putter requires 'cleanliness' to achieve good results. Both of these factors may help one accelerate through one's learning curve more quickly.

On the up side they are often the best choice for a round when your sole intent is exclusively to score well. Most learners will quickly grasp the fact that any mold is merely a tool and your task as a golfer should be to use the most apt tool for your work...

Choose a weight you are comfortable with. :p

i use an envy for my driving putter. in both neutron and electron (trying to break it in to more neutral, less fade type deal for actual putting).

my preference of weight is 170-172 for drives, upshots, and putting.

others will tell you wizards, judges, wardens (if beads are not your thing), aviars (all of them), challengers (the putter i first started using before deciding i need to try all putters, because science...)

I don't like using a putter for drives. I'd rather just throw a Buzzz and take a little off it. That said, if I do decide to rip a putter off the tee I like the McPro Aviar. Its stable enough to stay flat and glide on a hard rip.

Most putters tend to bleed right when you really lay into them hard. The McPro Aviar does not.

On the down side, despite the obvious situational shortcomings, they require much more effort and are rarely the best choice for a round when your sole intent is exclusively to score well. Most learners will quickly grasp the fact that any mold is merely a tool and your task as a golfer should be to use the most apt tool for your work...

Regarding weights: imo, the less a player's experience level, the less small weight differences will really matter in terms of results. In general, it's better to cycle a few units of the same mold and weight for learning.

There's nothing inherently 'wrong' about using a putter for drives. They are often good choices on short holes or holes that absolutely require that you stay in the fairway.

On the up side they are often the best choice for a round when your sole intent is exclusively to score well. Most learners will quickly grasp the fact that any mold is merely a tool and your task as a golfer should be to use the most apt tool for your work...

Choose a weight you are comfortable with. :p

I'd echo what these guys said, but it seems they did already:clap:

I used a 170 gram putter when starting out, I like for driving putter at about 170-172 grams, why my Driving putter also uphill and downhill putter as a Driving putter a 166 gram disc has been benched as a Driving Putter. I use a slow Midrange as a Driving Putter anyhow one that can also be used as a Approach/short midrange shot thrown at putter speeds. A Midrange that was once an all purpose disc before Innova changed the name.

I'd echo what these guys said, but it seems they did already:clap:

I will same, I am one who thinks a slightly overstable/neutral putter is the way to go, like a Challenger or a Rubber Putter, even a Classic Grid Aviar is the way to go. Getting a understable or very overstable putter as your first putter, only disc and you are asking for trouble when or if you change putters for Putting you have to have a putter that stability when putting. I think having a Pig or a Zone as a first disc but not your Putting putter, possibly your driving disc if you want more then one disc to use. If not that then get a lighter weight slow midrange nearly putter speed that is slightly overstable as the driving disc is fine. I had a Stingray and a Rubber putter, lost the Stingray on the crappy sign course dead as of 2007 and had a Rubber Putter for about half a year of playing till I got some new discs at a Play It Again Sports. The one We went into did not accept Used discs at the time as they tried at one point but often came in too used to even play with legally even Putters. Rubber Putter is now my mom's and she likes it as a approach to short midrange disc when she last played.

But I found due to slower speed I had that a lighter putter like I had was not the best for the wind we have in my area. Like the 166 gram Rubber Putter I had was not good for my area.

I had the same problem with the other disc I had at the time too, my Stingray being 160 grams. I did okay as I lost the midrange right away, forcing me to use the Rubber Putter and a Wham-O Pro Jr i bought in 2000 as a toy to play catch with my dad as his 1991 Pro was too big for me to use at the time. Somehow the 135-140 gram Pro Jr Wham-O Frisbee was better then the Stingray in the wind which makes me think that Stingrays were made for use in California where wind is not a factor as bad as the Upper plains states, And I tried Stingrays again in 2009 and another in 2014 but took them out last year as wind takes them even ones max weight with the wind if speeds are mere then 5 mph. Well not so much as took them out but stopped using them then took the Stingray's I had in bag out this year. Have new midrange for the true midrange slot.

Last edited: