• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Putter or Mid FH sidearm Approach not midrange or drive, that won't skip or turn/burn

tu-f-o

Double Eagle Member
Ok I just want a putter or mid for FOREHAND/SIDEARM that I can either flex on an S curve or light hyzer for risky approaches where you cannot afford to skip far, roll away, turn/burn, or be taken with the wind to never fade back.

I know work on form, blah blah. My form isn't bad for FH. Just looking to be carried by a good disc :)

I don't like baseline plastic since the release is not clean for me, I think it's the floppiness of the plastic? But I like how baseline/pro lands and sticks. Premium plastic I have a cleaner release.

Discs I've tried and dislike:

Zone in pro d or Z
champ panther
z buzzz
any roc
c md2
any atlas
nova

things I'm considering:
opto pure
aviar??
dx gator
verdict

basically looking for slight overstable, but not a meathook. Needs to be workable without too much effort, and predictable. and some glide to go at least 100ft with the flick of the wrist.

I honestly like my blizzard boss best for this, minus the skips and rolls on dangerous land.

I love a frontline-x mortar for this slot. The mortar is a beadless gator, so for me it flicks cleaner, and the frontline-x is a gummy star. The frontline-x came out flat also(which I prefer for sidearms) and the plastic isn't too gummy to flick, but gummy enough not to get wild skips.

You just described the Envy, especially noticing that you haven't tried any MVP/Axiom yet. I think the Protons are beefiest, and might be right up your alley.

Verdict is very good for this, but it is a fast mid so if you scooch it low along the ground expect it to do the glidey skip slide towards the pin on fast ground types. I actually love how it does this predictably and use that knowledge to plan my shot. It has a predictable hook at the end for the little 100-150' flick approaches that it does every time. Plus its grip feels amazing for FH to me with its fairly thick rim for a mid (along with being a great backhand mid). It doesn't tend to roll away on me either after doing its thing on these approaches.

If you want something slower and even more beefy then I'd consider the Gator. I have flicked a Pig a couple times that someone had and it felt great for approach range stuff, but I just like how much of a workhorse the Verdict is for so many types of shots for me (and plus it's in great plastics). Again though, it is a fast mid and it can be used for the short 100' shots very easily (I do this because I don't trust myself with putter flicks), but it really shines in its useability for many different types of shots throughout your game.

Last edited:
I'll second BigSky's recommendation of an Envy. They are very workable and glide really well for a putter/mid that has quite a bit of HSS. Proton will be a little more LSS than Neutron but Soft Neutron has a little more bite once it hits the ground. I use my soft primarily for the shot you describe. I think it would be worth your time to try one.

The Suspect is my choice for this shot.

I use it for all my upshots (I primarily FH).

It's a little overstable, doesn't skip much, and feels great in the hand for FH.

Envy is a good choice. Dx gator would work also but they get flippy pretty quick, if you want to go in the gator direction try to find a used champion or glow. BuzzOS may not have the glide your looking for but they are awesome FH discs. The DGA breaker is another option, never thrown one personally but have seen a few guys using them for this role.

For forehand putter shots, I like shallow putters. Harp, Envy, Suspect... there may be others but those are the ones I have experience flicking. Deeper rims don't suit me, like the Wizard or Rhyno.

The angle the disc hits the ground matters a lot though in preventing skip. If you land flat or spiked, the disc will (usually) settle. The low hyzer angle skips mids and putters like a rock on water.

You just described the Envy, especially noticing that you haven't tried any MVP/Axiom yet. I think the Protons are beefiest, and might be right up your alley.

^This.
As someone who strongly dislikes mvp/axiom discs, this one is for the shot you describe. Very smooth feel in the hands in neutron soft plastic. Even with some OAT its stable enough to come back but not super overstable to where it just dies. Other good choices are a rhyno, pig, ringer

Harp or even a Scale handle this very well.

Just curious, why didn't you like the Zone? For me the Zone and Verdict have a similar flight at around 100' because of powering down the Verdict more on the FH. They both flex well for me.

I will also agree with the Envy as a great FH putter. Though it doesn't have much fade so you'll definitely need to hyzer it, it won't come back enough on the flex.

Harp, Suspect, and Envy are all solid suggestions IMO. I personally use a Harp for this sort of shot, but you should probably go see which feels the best in your hand.

I sold a champ gator to a friend because it skipped to much, and right now I'm also looking to fill this spot. A Gstar gator from the factory store is on my short list of new discs to try. You could also count this as a vote for the frontline-x mortar, but the bead combined with the gummy material should hit and stick even better than a non-beaded version.

Others I'm looking at are the Gstar banshee (more driver-like rim, nice if you've been using a boss for these shots), and an xt shark or xt Aviar bb. I have an xt Aviar p&a that flies more stable than any other Aviar p&a I've thrown so the bb and shark should be pretty stable, plus it hits and sticks as well as the Nova.

Just bought a lucid suspect last week and it flies right for this shot but it's skipping too much, bt firm would probably have been a better choice.

For "S" or hyzer shots
Pig
Suspect

For everything else
G* Aviar driver
Fluid Judge

The softer plastics seem to stick best for me, so if that's the case, it's the judge or pig.

during the winter I would force myself to flick novas while doing putting practice. I'd pick a spot 50-100ft away and try to get there with a side arm (hyzer/anhyzer/sraight/elevator/ect). it was done as a joke at first to break the monotony of putting but something amazing happened: I the timing down, and REJOICE finally learned to throw a forehand!

when I got to the course the damn sidearm nova shot actually ended up being super useful. hell I use the atlas for longer 200ft approach flicks just as consistently as my backhand now.

sorry for my rambling, but I suggest you go for a beefy putter with an overmold. I know you don't like the nova/atlas, so find something from MVP or another company that is beefy with an overmold. because those rubbery overmolds really do stick (as you probably experienced using the atlas/nova).

I hope a company will release a gator/drone/zone like disc with an overmold, something that beefy OS with an overmold would be such a glorious weapon.

Latest posts