• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter rotation - how often do you swap?

TonyAPE12

Birdie Member
I don't really feel like making a poll, but would like to seem some opinions and current practices of how often you all swap out your seasoned putters for something more fresh. I've had the same 3 D Challengers in my bag for over a year (2 for putting, 1 for driving/upshots) and I just bought 3 new matching ones to try and integrate into the place of my old ones. Do you do this regularly or are you still putting with the same beat to crap putter that you've had for 10 years? Let's hear your thoughts!

I've been putting with the same Soft Maget for 5 months, and before that I putted with the same Omega SS for 6 months. I don't trade them out with others due to how beat they are.

I swap about every 4 months. I do not recommend it. I now have 5 putters I like and can not decide what to throw.

If there is a drop off or OB after the basket I throw the maniac, If it is a long putt I go with an Opto Pure. If it is windy or I need to fade I go with a Rhyno, If it is a regular 20-30 footer I am currently throwing a Psycho. I also carry a wizard for some reason. I want to get down to 2 putters.

Been using the same Summit since I got it. This is part of the reason I switched to Summits, they are resilient as hell and don't seem to change on you over time.

I've been using the same KC Aviar since I started playing last May. Got three more for practice. The Ion, and Wizard feel similar (I like the bead), but I think I'll always putt with the KC.

I have been putting with the same magnet for over 2 years. It was one of the first discs I bought when I started, and although I now own several magnets, that particular one will always be my primary putter.

Can't bring myself to swap out one of my Wizards that I've been using for the past year and a half for a new one, even though I have been thinking about it lately.

The feel of the putter means a lot to me, so if it's got major gouges to the point where I don't have a smooth surface to grip, it goes in the practice putter bin. I rarely throw putters off the tee, so that helps stretch out the lifespan. A cool stamp might get a new one into the bag sooner. Also, I usually won't use a newer putter for a tournament unless I've had at least two weeks to break it in.

I thought you were an Ion man?

Summit for putts, Ion for everything else. (and sometimes a Polecat for tricky shots)

The feel of the putter means a lot to me, so if it's got major gouges to the point where I don't have a smooth surface to grip, it goes in the practice putter bin.
Same here, hence why I use Summits now. No gouges means no replacing.

I don't.

I'll break in a second one (usually more), just in case I lose my putter. Once/if that happens, use a back up/practice putter so you're at least a little familiar with it (aside from the fact it's the same mold, duh).

I have about 6 cool aviars that I throw. Two are beaded and the rest are beadless. I do feel a difference in them but they are similar enough to not throw me off.

I swap putters in and out waaaay too often. Its the only disc in my bag that changes. I need to stick to the same putter but I just can't find one I really love. I'm equally horrible with all of them. I've been using the EZE Mercy lately. EZE plastic is my favorite base plastic by far. At least the plastic feels great when I miss the putt!

I like to have at least three comprably beat putters so that I get a consistent flight during practice (and rounds) and so that I have a backup for my backup. I even try and buy the exact same color/stamp/weight to reduce the amount of variables and to try and keep myself from falling into the trap of becoming attached to a single putter that might just end up in the drink somewhere. I'll only cycle them out if they get seriously warped or sunken. I'm in greater danger of getting sucked into trying every putter on the market than beating a disc into retirement though.

In my bag, I also keep a fresh version of my primary putter for long drives/upshots, hyzers, and windy days.

for a while i would switch after practicing pre round and hit one of those f yeah putts. i would rotate between a dx aviar,xd,champ shark,yeti 3x aviar,champ aviar.

now i force myself to stick w the yeti and so far it's improved my putting due to allow myself to really learn the disc.

I've been putting with the same SS VooDoo since March 2011. I occasionally add fresher ones for practice rounds, and I have an R-Pro Rhyno for tee shots and upshots, but my purple friend has never left my bag.

Latest posts