• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Rounds

Teamkiller

Par Member
A few things....

Do people suggest playing rounds with only putters or putters/mids due to the fact that they are easier to wrist roll and will expose poor form? is there any other factor that contributes to the value of doing these rounds aside from wrist roll correction? Also, is there a point where playing these sorts of rounds would be counter productive to growth? I am consider leaving the bag in the trunk for january and working rounds/fieldwork with just a putter and a mid but I am concerned that some other function of my game will decline as a result.

Driving with putters... for form correction should i be using a stable, OS, or US Putter?

A neutral putter is best to start with.

That will help show any form flaws.

The idea is that if you can throw a putter well, then a mid will be that much easier and so on.

I'd suggest it because a neutral putter is one of the most important discs to improve your game. A disc that doesn't fade or turn is huge for placement shots.

It also exposes form flaws. I'd argue that an OS putter wouldn't be a great form-check, as it'd tolerate bad form too much. If you can throw a neutral putter 250-300' flat, hyzer and anhyzer with no wobble out of your hand whenever you like, then it's time to add mids and drivers to your game.

Driving with putters will eventually leak a few issues into your drivers, mainly that it's easy to throw putters nose up a bit in order to add stability. If you do that with a driver, it's gonna stall. It's also common to see players struggle with wide rims after throwing putters for a long time (at least I did).

Also shows you that a putter may be the best shot for a hole or situation when you haven't thought about it :) also super fun

I started doing putter only rounds last year and it was a real eye opener. I was amazed at how far I could throw a putter after a little work. I used to carry only one putter and 4-5 mids, I now carry 4 putters and 2 mids. Easier to accurately throw a smooth putter than to power down a mid.

A few weeks of putter - Comet rounds did wonders for my game, and it's damn fun too.

I'm not sure if I would devote a complete month to it. A week of putter or putter/mids and then a full bag for a week... repeat through the winter months might be better for your all around game.

I play at least one putter only round a month. I've been doing that for years. I think it's important to quickly incorporate what you learn with the putter into the rest of your game as you go. That's my two cents.

Also, it helps your strategic thinking. If you can't get to the basket with a putter, you'll want to throw it to the spot which gives you the easiest possible upshot. It's a very different way of working your way through the course.

I am having trouble with my mids/putters woble and turning hard right.
If I'm over powering them, how can I drive with distance?
My power grip causes my fingers to hurt when the disc rips out.
Should I be using a finesse grip and throw slower?
What adjustments in that situation gets long drives out of these discs?
Honestly, I keep going back to a Leopard because I can throw it for long drives and control it well on upshots and even putting.

Nick- read up here and check out some of the other pages linked re:grip/OAT. You are likely not overpowering any mid unless its extremely beat up and understable. A lot of those still can fly far and straight when thrown on a hyzer flip.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/technique/bhproblemsright.shtml#right

Your grip doesn't give a clean release.
Possible Fix:
A firm grip is necessary to get good snap and keep the disc on line, while a clean grip is necessary for the disc to leave your hand with enough spin and on a clean plane. If your grip is too tight or too loose it may start to cause problems. A firm grip will force the disc to "rip" out of your hand and with enough speed will enough an audible snap as one or more of your fingers will slap against your palm when the disc leaves. There is no general consensus on what is the "best" grip as all discs have different rim shapes and people have different sized hands. A few things that are consensus amongst most pros.
1. All 4 fingers should be on the rim or under the flight plate.
2. Your thumb should be pressed firm on top, pinching the disc between it and 1 or more fingers.

I know that not everyone will find all grips comfortable and if you have success with a grip that does not have all 4 fingers on the rim, but if you are having problems with disc flutter, you may want to consider trying a change of grip.[/

-

Throw every shot firm. If you are slow and soft a consistent release will be more difficult. Shorten up and use less body rotation on shorter shots rather than throwing softer. Throw your slowest/shortest disc that can get you to your desired target.

Last edited:
Whenever I am having some form issues (other than nose angle) I will go to my local short course and play a putter round and throw two drives, one with my Proxy and one with my Envy. Evny is a bit on the stable side, but still good enough IMO.

Don't play strictly putter only too much, because as HUB said, you might introduce nose angle issues into your mid and driver game.

Since we've brought up nose angle issues, are you supposed to throw putters higher for distance throws? The only way I can consistently get into the 210-240' range with a putter is to aim higher than I would with a mid or control driver. I still drive flat but throw higher, or are you guys hyzer flipping the putter on a flat line for distance?

Yeah. A lot higher trajectory while maintaining flat/nose down. That's the tricky part to throwing max d lines vs golf lines but putters and mids are less sensitive compared to faster drivers.

Understable i throw high hyzer flips. Really fun shot with a putter.

Since we've brought up nose angle issues, are you supposed to throw putters higher for distance throws? The only way I can consistently get into the 210-240' range with a putter is to aim higher than I would with a mid or control driver. I still drive flat but throw higher, or are you guys hyzer flipping the putter on a flat line for distance?

More height - more distance as with any throw. This rings more true for slower discs like putters because they rely on the glide to get the distance. The disc will stay afloat as long as it's spinning so spin is also very important. With good form you shouldn't need more than 10ft of air to cover 240ft with a putter.

So there's youre other reason for putter only rounds - not only does it expose form flaws when it comes to angles, it also forces you to work on your snap to generate more spin to keep the putter in the air longer.

This was from a round I played with Eagle McMahon a year ago... first shot in the video, he threw that a discmania p2 psycho in the neighborhood of 425'.

cap5.PNG

As Aim says, push the trajectory to about 30' off the ground and keep the disc flat (nose angle) on a hyzer. If you have 400'+ putter distance, that disc will certainly flip up and should get a full turn and flatten.

If your max putter distance is ~250' then you won't likely have the ejection speed to get that shot. You would likely get better distance by throwing your putters high on a slight anhyzer.

Yea, I kindof figured there was no way people were putting puttings out 300+ at 3-5' off the ground. I can get my putters to about 220-250' by throwing them 8-12' in the air. Still working on my terrible form, heh. After reading about throwing up but keeping the nose down, I am assuming that nose down is in relation to the plane of the throw right? so if I am throwing angled up on the plane the disc should still be release flat.

Yea, I kindof figured there was no way people were putting puttings out 300+ at 3-5' off the ground. I can get my putters to about 220-250' by throwing them 8-12' in the air. Still working on my terrible form, heh. After reading about throwing up but keeping the nose down, I am assuming that nose down is in relation to the plane of the throw right? so if I am throwing angled up on the plane the disc should still be release flat.

Yeah. The disc should look like a line in the air, so that you can't see the flight plate. Trajectory and is how high you throw it and nose angle is how we describe the disc front to back in relation to that trajectory line.

Yeah im no eagle but remember when i posted this video a few years back that someone said i was throwing too high and had to explain how that all worked. This disc shown is very very understable yet holds a straight line at 300 and gently finishes off to the right even with a lil skip at the end.

Get up and get hyzer if you want to mash a putter.

Man, I went and played a couple putter only rounds for the first time in a while. I knew I had needed to do this desperately as my form has been slowly deteriorating but I don't as actually shocked at how much I could accomplish with just an ion. I think I'm going to play putter only for a few more weeks at least...

I have yet to find a putter that works great as a driver. I think it is because of my form, but I always flip it over and it cut rolls. For so called putter rounds, I use my roc or buzzz, depending on wind conditions.

I have yet to find a putter that works great as a driver. I think it is because of my form, but I always flip it over and it cut rolls. For so called putter rounds, I use my roc or buzzz, depending on wind conditions.

If that's the case then I'd highly recommend figuring it out. Putters shouldn't be turning and burning. It's hugely beneficial.

Latest posts