• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putter used as a Driver?

So the Leopard (which I seem to throw the best of the 3 disc I currently have) and the Shark are in the bag.

I'm going to replace the Aviar for a thinner putter (Aviar just doesn't feel well in my hand).

Should I be looking for an understable putter since I'm a newbie or would something like the Ringer (0/2), which would just be for putting, be fine? Not sure what I should be looking for as far as a 2nd putter for the bag? What would you recommend?

I would like to add a 2nd mid to complement the Shark (0/2)...would something like the Buzzz (-1/1) or the Buzzz SS (-2/1) be a nice complement to the Shark?

Shark, Leopard, Teebird/TL (maybe 162g), another mid, 2 putters, and that's all :thmbup:
TripleB

Best advice I can offer is to keep things as simple as possible for the first few months. You already have a Leopard, Shark, and Aviar...plus you plan to get a TL or Teebird. These are all versatile molds and you don't really need anything else for a month or two since you are just starting out.

If you dislike how deep the Aviar feels, then by all means you should try to feel some shallower putters at the local disc store if you have one nearby. The feel of a disc in your hands is the most important aspect when selecting your putter. People have suggested the Colt and Pure earlier, and those are extremely good recommendations you should look into if a shallower putter feels better in hand than your Aviar. I have never thrown the Ringer so I can't offer an opinion on that one, though I probably wouldn't base putter choice off what a pro uses as a beginner (No offense meant by that, I suck at putting so I don't put much stock in what the pros use since they are lightyears ahead of my putting ability).

I don't think you need to add a second midrange or a higher speed driver than the Teebird/TL. When I first started playing my throwing form was so inconsistent, it was hard to tell if a new disc was actually helping my game improve. If you stick with the Teebird/Leo/Shark/(insert putter of choice) lineup, you will become very familiar with those discs and their flight characteristics. This will help you in the long run, especially if you take time out to practice throwing and putting outside of just playing rounds. If I were you I would use that lineup of 4 discs exclusively for the next few months. With more practice any gaps in your bag will start to become more apparent.

You may want to try some of the other discs suggested in this thread too, and I encourage you to do so in due time. However, I wouldn't grab too many different driver and midrange molds too soon. If you find after a month or two that you have holes in your lineup or don't care for one of your discs, then you can try some new discs, but will have a much better idea of what you are needing to suit your game. For example if the Shark is a touch too OS, then you can buy a more neutral flying midrange to complement it.

I'm not gonna suggest another disc as others have suggested plenty of good beginner friendly molds. Since you already have a good foundation of discs to build upon, you are ahead of many new players that just pick up a Boss right away as their first disc. You are gonna hear a million suggestions for discs, but remember that it's the wizard and not the wand that matters. No need to buy tons of discs out of the gate.

I had planned to purchase a 162g DX Teebird and a 165g DX Valkyrie....would a mid 160s TL be a better option than these two?

Thanks.

TripleB

A DX Teebird will season in to a TL-like flight, so you could hold off on the TL purchase for now. If, over time, you like the mellowed DX Teebird flight and want premium plastic, you could get a Star (or Champion) TL. But for now, that DX Teebird will do fine for you.

Putters are all personal preference. That's the one area where I would say to go out and feel some at a store, or if you can't do that, order 2 or 3. Understable/overstable doesn't matter too much inside the circle (30'). What matters most is it feels comfortable for you to grip naturally, and that you can easily find another. Your gonna want to get another identical one at some point. They get dings and scuffs, some people hate that feeling in their hand and rotate putters often, others (myself included) don't mind it.

I'll put it this way, I have one, maybe two backups for my main discs at this point. But I have about 15 classic aviars, all worn roughly the same amount, all the same weight. Why? Because putting is the single most important thing to practice. You can beat a guy throwing 50', he'll even 150' further than you with accurate shots, and by HITTING THOSE PUTTS! If I'm putting for par from 50' and my opponent is putting for birdie from 30' and he misses and I make it, that's a scratch hole at worst.

I have about 15 classic aviars

This made me take an inventory of mine; turns out I have 28 of them. 12 of them are brand new, still in the box. 5 of them are so beat up they weigh several grams less than the penned weight. They are in my garage, car, and office. It may be easier for me to grab a Classic Aviar to putt with than it is for me to grab a working pen with which to write.

I get the dislike for deeper putters at the start.. Playing in the woods I would suggest checking out a Wedge and a Panther. Both are putter kind of midranges with a shallow dish and easy flights

I get the dislike for deeper putters at the start.. Playing in the woods I would suggest checking out a Wedge and a Panther. Both are putter kind of midranges with a shallow dish and easy flights

I like the looks of the Wedge...great reviews and it being understable seems like it would "complement" any of the other four I'm looking (Ringer, Colt, Pure, Warden) at as well! Would like to get two putters...one specifically for putting and another for everything else.

TripleB

I like the looks of the Wedge...great reviews and it being understable seems like it would "complement" any of the other four I'm looking (Ringer, Colt, Pure, Warden) at as well! Would like to get two putters...one specifically for putting and another for everything else.

TripleB

Just an observation, but it seems your getting new disc fever. This is totally normal and happens to all of us, especially when overloaded with so much input.

From the beginning you were looking at a couple molds, and I know it's hard, but try and resist the temptation to try too many molds right away.

The key is to get the technique to throw down. With a constant rotation of different flight characteristics it's hard to get a feel of a consistent form. I would stick to 5 discs MAX for about 2 months. After that feel free to start buying and trying until you find "your" discs. But until then you need to figure out who you as a disc golfer are. Once you have a style of your own then you can find the molds to fit your play style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The putters I drive with are P2s, Judges, Zones, and Rhynos.

I throw Judges for straight laser beams up to 300 ft. I can get them out farther but they'll turn a bit too much at that speed.

P2s I also use for straight shots and laser beams; I only started using Judges again because I picked up a surplus of them.

Zones I use for laser beams past 300 ft. because I can really torque them and they won't turn over. I can throw them hard and they will hold a straight line with a soft fade at the end of it's flight.

Rhynos I throw for shorter shots that need to hyzer hard at the end of it's flight. 90 degree dogleg lefts that don't break past 200 ft.

So as you get new Disc fever... check out Joe's universal flight chart. It ranks discs relative to armspeed which is useful so that you know how it should fly for you. My advice is to never buy a Disc over 170g when you are impulse buying.

Don't worry about whether your putter is stable or understable as long as it's not extreme either way and most importantly feels good in the hand. If you buy multiple putters try to get them the same weight

My advice is to never buy a Disc over 170g when you are impulse buying.

Don't worry about whether your putter is stable or understable as long as it's not extreme either way and most importantly feels good in the hand. If you buy multiple putters try to get them the same weight

But, it is probably best to get putters around max weight generally.

You can second that. Probably safe to say only by impulse discs in your preferred weight range whatever that is. For me 168-175, others can be different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is bringing out the troll in me.. Haha. I like my putters around 170g I used to buy max weight but then Mawdsley gave me a millennium omega? At 170 g I was hitting everything with it but it was jet black and probably still sitting in the bush on Cortes... it is based off an old Aviar mold. My bread and butter are 165G Envy's, lots of stability and in a lighter weight I can push them dead straight for 160' because they resist the spin I put on them. I find with the drivers that the 4g difference between a 170 and 174g is whether I can make it fly properly. Works for me not for everyone.

I hate Aviars the most, Teebirds second and Eagles third IMO.

The reason is that I don't know whether I should have tried a small bead, big bead, beadless, yeti pro, kc, kc 10x, etc... I want to be able to replace a Disc without going to a store and get the same one online. I dislike Teebirds unless they are worn in for a few years and wonderful.. I couldn't get any consistency the light 165s don't fly like a seasoned 174 and don't translate between plastics. I tried 5 or so of them and got different flights. Finally the Eagle, is it an Eagle X or Eagle L? it's not stamped on it but there are two different bottom molds used, the L is a Leopard bottom and the X is a Teebirds bottom I'm told. Bah. Humbug.

You mentioned a Comet that's huge in Michael Johansens bag might be redundant with a Shark I'm not sure but if you can deal with the rim it is the best training tool to keep you throwing nose down and fantastic in the woods, it also handles low armspeed. Throws good for me between 170 and 174g.

To further inflame the masses... a light stable disc like a 150 Firebird or FL or a Banshee can teach you as much as an understable disc. You need to keep the nose down and fight it to get a straight flight. It can fill a utility spot for forehand, thumbers and help you bank an S shot. I'm not saying to run out and buy one. The Leopard is a solid choice, if it's working consider a lighter or heavier one to fill in a bit more of your bag without changing the mold. I would vote for a TL as well or Roadrunner when that money is burning a hole in your pocket.

And check out the Marshall St Discgolf flight guide it's the easiest to read

Last edited:
a light stable disc like a 150 Firebird or FL or a Banshee can teach you as much as an understable disc. You need to keep the nose down and fight it to get a straight flight. It can fill a utility spot for forehand, thumbers and help you bank an S shot.

Oddly enough, the 150 FB's I have are flat, and just as over-stable (other than a DX FB, I've not seen any I would describe as 'stable') as a max weight one. If you're not getting a Leopard to ~300ft, these would be a great get out of trouble disc.. but it's not going to get the desired flight path. A Teebird on the other hand...

Eagle L is not a leopard wing. Eagle X is not a teebird wing. Your omega is a small bead aviar.

Whatever it is, the distinction is the L has a smooth shape from bottom of the disc to wing and the X is a concave lip. I remember it because the L reminds me of Leopard. I've run into a lot of folks that throw them and other than flight change they don't notice the lip difference or know there's two types

Whatever it is, it's a disservice to spread misinformation. Especially if you know it's not true. Leopard has a very distinct shape to its wing, and it's not the same as any other disc.