• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

putter weight

What's your ideal putter weight?

• 175+

Votes: 88 52.7%
  • 170-174

Votes: 82 49.1%
  • 165-169

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • 160-164

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 151-159

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 150 or less

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like max weight for driving, 168-172 for upshots and 163-167 or so for putting. Because of the way the poll is set up and the way the question is asked that means I picked 4 of the 6 options, which seems like the actual weights I like will get lost because of the low resolution.

173... mostly because that's what I've gotten used to. I tried putting with a 168, and it just "felt" wrong to me... and I didn't realize the weight until I looked on the inside. I doubt 1 gram or so one way or the other would make a difference to me, but a few certainly did.

Also, while I often prefer lighter weights (in the 160's and down to 150 and even 139 for Blizz) for some drivers, I like the idea of using heavier putters. All other factors being equal, a given wind should have less effect on an object of greater mass (at least for the vast majority of circumstances).

As for driving, I can see using lighter putters, but I don't think I'd like that. Rather than carry another putter just for driving, I'd prolly stick with my Challlenger that "feels right" in my hand or go to a mid for that shot.

Last edited:
The best 'putting only' putters for me start off in the low 170's and eventually beat in to 167-169ish.

I haven't noticed a bit of difference putting with anything between 170-175 on my $#%$, so I go by feel more than weight as long as it's in that range.

I was going to post this. I also have a lighter 165g $#%$ for turnovers because my go to's are not broken in enough.

169 for putting/upshots. Whatever weight for driving, it just depends on the flight the disc has. Right now I'm driving with 175, 172, 174 and 169 wizards. The 169 is actually the second most stable of the bunch.

I like my main putters to be in between 170g and 172g...my driving putter (Ion) is 175g and my OS utility putter (Z Zone) is 173-174g. When it's windy I just use the Zone.

I have a 144 that I use for long jump putts... Glides a lot longer than a heavier putter. Then most of my shorter putters are 175.

Started out with a 168g Wizard. Partly due to OCD, I've tried to stick with that weight. With my Rhynos, it's not been a problem. With Pures, which as less stable, I've been around 172-173.

The heavier, the better baby! For putts or drives. Max allowable weight for me. I even had one of those 290g Wizards for awhile jsut to mess around with, but it started hurting my form so I dumped it.

Spin putt max weight.

1. I'm used to it
2. I feel that they handle wind better
3. I'm a rather large guy, (6'3") so heavier feels nice in my hands.

i putt with a 169 aviar and prefer driving putters around 170. Less effort for more control. the only time you really notice the wind effect would be on cross wind putts when the wind gets under the flight plate. head wind does not seem to be to effected if you keep it level and tail wind seems easier.

I imagine a 150 putter would bounce of the chains. Maybe they make them that light for driving?

I've got two 150 class pro rhynos that I like a lot, but I don't feel comfortable enough using them in the wind. I'll probably just reserve them for jump putts in calm weather.

Latest posts