• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

putting away the bigg dawgs

money 21

* Ace Member *
to start with this is not an anti-wide rim post. That said i think there is something to be said about putting the wide rims away now and then to work with slower drivers. For me the big dawg is the halo. i have several in different stablities an when I am on with them boom, but when i am off the $h!t hits the fan fast. the risk reward is to great and i find myself going for it to much. This uncertanty has lead to indecesion on the tee box and bad play, so I am dropping them for a little while just using my xs's and fl's as my drivers. I think there is alot to be said for drivers in the speed 8/9 range and once i get my confidence built back up bring back the wide rims for the open holes just bring them out once or twice a game.

i agree, it's not that i don't enjoy throwing my beat pro destroyer or Nuke, its just that i want to get better and more consistent with the discs i should be using. i shelved all my discs over speed 9. curently the fastest disc in my bag are a sPD and star sidewinder. those are accompianied by leos and banshees. the plan is to play the summer without using high speed drivers. i just jumped on the PD band wagon and still need to throw in a pPD, too.

I'm with ya here. Sometimes when I throw a speed 13 disc I feel like I have to apply so much power that I lose control. It's been more fun for me lately to slow it down and maybe sacrifice a little distance to focus on control, accuracy and consistency. Discs such as a TL/XL, TB, SOLS and Valkyrie are some of my old favorites that I've been reaching for more often. But the funny thing is that I'm getting almost the same distance with less effort which makes it more fun!

Since the middle of last year I've been on the "nothing faster than a speed 9-10" disc kick. I think it's done well for me. Right now I'm kind of fighting to stay on the kick. The Flow is starting to grow on me, and it's wanting a spot in my bag. The Vulcan just gave me a new personal distance record, but that disc is just way too inconsistent to be in the bag. But it's fun to throw. I think I need to try to stay true to the no warp speed disc rule for a while, and concentrate more on getting better consistency with my PD's. It's just hard at times when you get some really nice throws in with bigger discs.

My main driver is the SL but I'm finding on my local courses that I don't need anything faster than a TL to play the course well. This sort of nullifies any reason to go for a warp speed driver. However, I still want to lbe able to throw 420-430 on command at some point.

I have speed 9-10 discs as my maxes, and get them out pretty well with standing deliveries. Faster than that and I'm not giving enough juice to the disc. I'll bring in some faster discs when I get x-stepping straightened out. I hit pretty much all the lines I need at my local courses with just these "slow" discs, but some distance would be helpful for some holes.

I've been throwing the PPD for driving for a while now, and I loved the accuracy I was getting, but now that my arm speed, and hop rotation is increasing I took a new Pro Wraith and put it in the bag today, and was throwing further than I have, and still getting accurate results. I definitely recommend taking a step back, and learning to throw speed 8 or 9 discs as distance drivers to create accuracy and distance, and work back towards wide rimmed.

JHBlader86 said:
I've been throwing the PPD for driving for a while now... ...I took a new Pro Wraith and put it in the bag today...
Boo, hiss! Should have gotten a P-DD. =)

I did this throughout 2009 and the 1st half of 2010 with the S-PD and P-PD. Now that a distance driver has found its way back into my bag, I'm really starting to crush it.

I am headed to my first tourney of the year nexted weekend and I will be playing with the discs in my signature minus the halos. There i only one hole on the course where i really would want a halo but i have been hyzer flipping x xs really well right now so i think i can cover that drive.