• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting form/style consistentcy issues?

Jbultman

Birdie Member
I've only been playing for about a year and a half but during that time, I havent been able to #1 find a putting form that feels like it suits me and #2 say consistent with a form so I can improve.

It seems like everytime I go out to play my putting style is different, I change it based on how I'm feeling. How high, how much spin, how how nose down angle, my shoulder orientation to the basket...

Any one have any suggestions?

Toughest question in disc golf. Just practice and do what works for you. Consistency usually provides better results.

It's hard to pick a style of putting that is wrong. If there was a style that was empirically superior we would have discovered it by now and everyone would be using it. Don't get hung up on trying to find the perfect style or the perfect putter. The difference between you and Ricky is practice, repetition and some mental.

Pick a style that you know is solid and stick to it. It'll work great for a while and then all of a sudden you'll start missing. Don't change putters, don't try a new style. Work through it. Eventually you'll realize you have inadvertently changed your stance. You fix it and everything is good. A while later you start missing again. The first thing you do is check your stance cause that was the problem last time. Maybe that fixes it right then and there or maybe you have to work through it again and this time it was your reachback. Now you've got two things to watch out for next time you start missing. By sticking with a style you can learn it and often fix a miss in the middle of the round because you've learned what to look for.

The other big part is mental. Practice making putts. Confidence is crucial.

Mental tricks can be really helpful too. Circle 2 putt? Maybe imagine your best friend is standing where the basket is and you're just tossing his putter to him. Try it, you'll be amazed how much closer you get to hitting metal when you couldn't by focusing on mechanics. One I use, I try to knock the basket over, meaning slam it into the pole. I know my miss is to try to softly loft it into the basket. Instead I set up and tell myself to knock the basket over. I don't even think about the mechanics after setup, I trust my body to make an athletic motion, trust my brain to figure it out and I slam it into the pole. Experimenting with mental tricks like that is more fruitful than experimenting with mechanical variations.

In approximate order of importance:
1. Get a practice basket.
2. Practice.
3. At first, practice on mechanics. Work on the putting style that seems to have the fewest moving parts and the smoothest flow/form for you.
4. Get 10 of the putter you like, preferably of the same approximate weight and same plastic.
5. After you've thrown a few thousand practice putts, the magic happens and you'll find that you've become a pretty good putter.

Yes, stop thinking about it. Sounds easier than it is, but seriously stop thinking about putting. Wall up to your lie, mark it, and put it in the damn chains. Just put that disc right in the chains, plain and simple, no thinking about your stance, your grip, the wind, just walk up and putt that disc right in.

Seriously.

putting

There are some big similarities between driving and putting and one big difference.
The difference is eyes on the target (the pole, a chain link) and they cannot move until the throw is complete; they should "guide" the disc to the target. If you miss, ask yourself "was i really looking at the middle of the pole from the moment i was starting the putting motion until the disc stopped moving?". I have found many times when i miss the honest answer is that i can't really remember... which is a no, and thats most likely why i missed. Recently i have started to take a few more seconds to stare at the pole, waiting till those typical thoughs of "i might miss" pass... then i hear myself say "there is the pole, i am gonna hit the pole cause i am looking at it", then i start my throw.

I also agree with the idea of thinking of "slamming" this disc into the pole. I often use the thought of "i'm gonna break the pole", a way to tell myself i will not hesitate with my throw from beginning to the follow thru, it helps when leaving the putt short has been a problem.

The similarities are: 1. follow thru- finishing with foot up and arm pointing out (push/pitch putt) 2. weight shift /lower body powers the throw (not just chucking the disc with the arm) 3. arm slow on backswing/timing arm with body 4. relaxed upper body and relaxed grip

Info that has helped my putt:
Pointing the hand out (handshake position) and up as part of the follow thru. By "up" i mean the hand is usually above the shoulder when the throw is complete unless it is a very short putt (under 15'). If it is a very long putt the hand could be as high as a 40 degrees or more (see pics of Locastro, Barsby, McCray).

The arm drops back slow and pauses for a split second before the forward movement is executed. This may not be right for every player or every type of putt, but for pitch, jump, push or push/spin putting the timing of the arm with the rest of the bodies forward motion is crucial for accuracy. Watch McBeth: back slow.. slow.. slow... then FORWARD! with power (and the foot kick). It's weight shift that goes from the feet to the body and into the arm to the disc. The lower body stars the power, the core of the body follows, and the arm receives that power and ONLY guides the disc to the target. This is similar to driving, as poor "reach back" habits include leaning too far back (weight on back foot) or thrusting the disc back quickly before the pull-thru. It took me at least a year of putting practice before i could recognize the feeling between my core and my arm (described as tension, stiffness, slight pain) that was telling me i wasn't timing my arm with my body or i wasn't doing my foot-kick (watch Wysocki, Koling for big kicks). It's a feeling of tension from my lower core up to my arm pit into my upper throwing arm. Once u can recognize that feeling, and then get rid of it, u are correctly using your body to power the putt, and your arm to just guide the disc.

Putting steps- 1.check stance 2.relax upper body and grip (breathing) 3.stare at pole (negative thoughts come)... still stare at pole (negative thoughts go) 4. arm back slow (inhale) 5. timing of foot kick/body forward/arm forward and out (exhale loudly or say "jump!" or "kick!") 6.follow thru- finish foot kick as eyes follow disc and arm points at target

For the mental side of putting- If u are a book reader i can recommed "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" by Rotella (and his other popular books) and "Extraordinary Putting" by Shoemaker; they are ball golf books but most of the info translates well to disc.
Visualization, relaxation, meditation, yoga, 10,000 hours of practice... whatever u can do so that when u step up to putt u see it going in the basket and u tell yourself it's going in the basket; this needs to happen before u start the throw (no negative thoughts = confidence).

Last edited:
Another thing that I have not seen talked about very much that ams do a lot is hold onto the disc too long. If you watch the pros putt in slow motion you'll notice the disc come out earlier then you think, definitely before the arm is fully extended. If you hold on too long you hand starts decelerating and you have potential to jerk the end of the putt off line and don't get enough power and spin. I was also having issues chosing a putting style and being consistent because I couldn't get power and would often miss right. But as soon as I fixed my late release a lot of this changed.

One thing that helps me personally with the mental aspect of it and consistency is to come down and then forward in one fluid motion sort of like Eagle's putt. Compared to say McBeth who very very slowly moves down and then abruptly forward. So I feel like my put starts with the disc out in front of me, not at the bottom where it's loaded. For me this helps because otherwise I tense up and think too hard about my mechanics when I putt, which is the enemy of consistency. It's ok to have some sort of mantra or something before putting or reminder like "nice and smooth" but when you putt you should not be thinking about mechanics in the middle of it. Same as when you throw.

When I first got my basket, I practiced short shots...10'-15'. I wanted that muscle memory to take hold.

This created a problem as I moved back though, because the style I had adopted didn't have the power to comfortably reach the basket. I moved back to adjust my putt for power, then practiced that style at closer range until it stuck. I'm much more comfortable at 25'-30' now that I have a putt I can use at all distances.

That made more of a difference for me than practicing a putt I couldn't use everywhere.

Pick one aspect of the putting stoke and commit that to your routine. Start with follow through, let your hand/arm be on line with the target after release. "Paint the pole", or "point the disc in" are two common idioms for this. If you are push putting, paint the pole, spin putting point it in.

Then work your way from there. Shoulder/hip orientation. Square or staggered? Weight shift? Release angle?

All players naturally end up making their own style I think, but should at least be able to competently do both spin and push. Sometimes you only have a line one way or another.

Long story short: practice makes perfect. Think less, putt more

Don't worry about it. Don't get stuck on one style right now. Don't think too much about the mechanics. There are a couple of fundamentals, but my biggest problem early on was just hand-eye coordination.

I really like this (as a drill, not necessarily a putting technique):

https://youtu.be/WGqxVG3FibQ?t=107

It really helped me with wrist strength/disc control and clean ejection. It also showed me how little weight shift you really need (but also how an improper weight shift can throw off your aim).

I have a related question to that of the OP, so thought I'd place it here rather than creating a brand new thread. For me, I have found a specific, repeatable putting stroke that I practice regularly with my basket in my garage. I've gotten to where I'm pretty happy with my make rate up to 25 ft (as much room as I have to practice) in weather-neutral conditions. However, my putting stroke is naturally nose-down. So while I can smash putts regularly indoors, I've found that headwind putts will just drive my putter straight into the ground out of my hand.

So my question is this: if my putting motion does not work in a specific wind condition, is it strategically better to make a full-scale change to my putting motion or just find a way to alter it for headwind putts? I'm torn, because my accuracy in C1 has really gone up with my current form, so I don't want to abandon it altogether. But on the other hand, I'm not sure that it makes sense to have two seperate putting styles, one for headwinds and one for everything else. Thoughts?