• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting frustrations

So, I don't want to attack or pick on you specifically, but it's in your post so I'm quoting it.
"Putting is hard."

I believe that most people that struggle putting have this self-defeating mindset. They have decided that putting is difficult so it becomes so. In reality, it isn't. You hold the disc here and you need to put it in the basket there. The how isn't really important, as evidenced by the fact that I've never seen two people that putt exactly the same way. It's so much more mental than it is physical. Yes, good putters have practiced and developed muscle memory, but more importantly they are confident, or at the very least, don't allow doubt and negativity to be present while putting. Obviously the physical and mental are interrelated, but I truly believe that a mindset change is the single most beneficial change a poor putter can make to increase success.

My two cents.

This is so true. We get in our heads and in our way so much that it makes it very hard to separate the mental (tough) aspect from the physical (easy) aspect. Think of this situation, which we have all experienced more times than we care to admit:

You walk up to a 20 footer that you think you should hit, but fear you may miss. Try an focus on your target, make a small adjustment for that slight cross breeze. Think some more....then airball your 20' putt. In disgust you bend over, pick up your driver off the ground and in frustration smash it center chains. Sure - you can drill that putt with your driver you never practice with because you get out of your head and just putt. If only we could do this all the time.

I mean really if you handed a beach frisbee to a random and stood 30' away to play catch you'd expect him to be able to hit you in the chest. But we make it so hard to execute a simple, repetitive motion ourselves.

Practice putts you can make. That is to say, don't worry about the 20, 25, or 30 foot putts until you've very confident and accurate with the 10, 12, and 15 foot putts. Practice those short ones until you hit every one, then move back incrementally. Your whole game will improve as you gradually build confidence in your putting. Takes some time, takes some work. Try to put in some practice regularly.

This is IMO the most important thing to work on to build confidence and help get out of your head...especially when warming up pre-round. It always amuses me before a tourney round when I'm the one at the practice basket draining 20' putts when most are back there going 1/3 from 35...and wondering why they are getting frustrated. Practice making putts and put yourself in a place where you can be successful.