• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting is hard.

I'm no expert, simply a beginner, but the practice mantra is golden. The more I practice, the better I get. The less I practice..... well you get the idea. Don't over-think it. Let it be more mechanical than mental. Good muscle memory will get you by on a lot of putts.

I learned this years ago at my Motorcycle Safty Class, and it works for discs also. They told us that you will always go where you look, so don't look down. Sounds like you are looking down when you throw, and that is why you disc hits the ground. Also sounds like you are not throwing hard enough. I know nebies that do that, because they are afraid of passing the basket.

When you get ready to putt, look at the pole on the basket, just below the rim and don't take you eyes off of it till the disc his the chains. Try that and I think your putting will get better.

I blow elfballs at putting but I'd blow gnome balls if it wasn't for this: Try to eliminate as many variables/wasted motion as possible, it hampers muscle memory and gives you more things to worry about. I straddle putt unless I'm out of range, then I line up my arm with the basket, putting it in the spot where I miss the least putts. Using my arm (with disc in hand) like the sights of a rifle, I line up my first thumb joint just to the right of the pole (seems to be my sweet spot) and then try to replicate the same throw every time, making the only adjustments you need to be oomph and spin.

Thanks for another great link garub! I hadn't read that in months and it's great stuff. BrotherDave I've recently taken to putting straddle as my primary stance. It's easier to move from straddle to stagger than the other way round (at least in my world).

The beauty of having a man cave set up with a computer to read great articles and a practice basket to throw at just after reading....priceless. :clap:

BrotherDave I've recently taken to putting straddle as my primary stance. It's easier to move from straddle to stagger than the other way round (at least in my world).

Word, you can almost always straddle putt comfortably regardless of lie, can't say the same for stagger putt. Straddling versatility is a real benefit to my game.

The thing I've found with staggered is you have to get your positioning set up right and it's a little harder to do than with straddle. If you get your toes, knees and chest pointed correctly you can get just as well lined up with staggered as with straddle.

i always tell my noobs that it isnt bad to miss left or right. that will come later...the most important thing to learn early is how to control height and to NEVER miss by not putting enough on it.

when i first started playing my putting wasn't that bad. all of the sudden it just went down the crapper for some reason. its getting better now that i practiced putting a little. i need to break down and buy a basket.

Like anything else, you play like you practice and everyone so far recommends practice. So practice, practice, practice. midnight suggests you might be looking down and that sounds about right to me. But rather than focus on the pole, I like to narrow my focus even more. Focus on one link and try to hit that link.

Here's another thought about practice, especially for longer putts. Find someone to play catch with. Just simply relax and play catch. Then on the course or with a practice basket, just visualize your practice partner when you putt and it might just amaze you how well you've improved.