• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting practice

Discdude1414

I am pretty new and I love disc golf so far. I have thought about making a basket at home so I could practice. I just never came around to it, and don't want to spend $50 on PVC and hours making one. Also I don't want to pay $130 for targets. What would you recommend using so I can practice putting?

Broom handle wrapped with a towel

Beam in your basement wrapped with a towel

Tree

Hamper on your couch

Or just save up your pennies and buy a practice basket.

I will say however that I have a practice basket and I use it about once a month. I am a fairly competitive player but I just don't enjoy putting practice. Never have and likely never will. This holds true for a lot of locals that I know who have baskets as well. Consider this before making too much of an effort to develop a practice putting device.

Hang a sheet with a square (like backboard of basketball hoop) taped onto it. Or better yet get a net, you can putt and throw into it. And you have a birthday, ask for one then :D

Play putting catch with a friend who plays. A person's torso is almost the same size and height of a basket. And no walking to pick your disc up

I will say however that I have a practice basket and I use it about once a month. I am a fairly competitive player but I just don't enjoy putting practice. Never have and likely never will. This holds true for a lot of locals that I know who have baskets as well. Consider this before making too much of an effort to develop a practice putting device.

I don't like putting practice and neither does anyone I know, so don't do it...

Not exactly the best advice for someone starting out. Practice, Practice, Practice is how anyone gets good at something.

If you don't like putting practice so much, you could always send me your basket. I'd use it everyday :)

I don't like putting practice and neither does anyone I know, so don't do it...

Not exactly the best advice for someone starting out. Practice, Practice, Practice is how anyone gets good at something.

If you don't like putting practice so much, you could always send me your basket. I'd use it everyday :)

I actually like putting practice. Well, sorta. I enjoy the act of putting practice. I do not enjoy the fact that I am on my practice basket all the time and yet i still suck at putting come tournement time

When you miss several easy putts at the course you'll find motivation to practice putting.

I have enough space in my garage to leave a basket next to the garage door. Even if it's tossing a few putts every few days, it's better than nothing. I spent a few more bucks on a portable basket, which is nice to pack it away when needed.

I actually like putting practice. Well, sorta. I enjoy the act of putting practice. I do not enjoy the fact that I am on my practice basket all the time and yet i still suck at putting come tournement time
I was being sarcastic to an earlier reply. I don't own a basket (yet) myself, but if I did, I'd be wearing it out every chance I got. Nothing improves your game more than practice

Edit: If I were you, I'd approach your practice the same you would on the tournaments. Approach your disc, take the same amount of time, and follow through. This will help ingrain the notion that there's no difference between practice and tournament play.

Last edited:
Go to a home improvement store, buy a $8 folding camp chair. It's by no means perfect, but you save a TON of money, it's approximately the right height, and when set 10m away, will still help your form.

Otherwise, for true practice, watch Craigslist and eBay like a hawk for a used basket and hope you find someone selling that doesn't know what they have...

One thing I would add, make sure you've got at least 30 feet of space to practice putting. I got a practice basket, then a while later moved to a different apartment. The largest section of space good for putting in my apartment now is about 18 feet. And it seems that constantly practicing at 10-18 feet hurts you when you go to the course and are putting mostly at 15-30 feet. So now I only practice at the course before rounds.

I don't have a basket (yet), but I spend 10-15 minutes at the course practice basket before nearly every round.
Waiting on friends, practice basket.
Between rounds, practice basket.
Unhappy with my putting during a round, practice basket on the way out.

I'll get a basket as soon as I have a yard to put it in, but in the meantime I just head over to the course.

Before i bought a basket, i had a pretty cheap setup myself. You can get a christmas tree stand from most thrift stores for a dollar or two. I placed a pvc pipe (cut to basket height) in the stand and put a strip of tape to indicate the top of the the cage. It was pretty easy to knock over with a putt, but it was equally easy to stand up again. Filling the pvc with dirt or gravel would probably keep it from falling while limiting mobility.

I'll get a basket as soon as I have a yard to put it in

Not sure if this would work in your neighborhood, but one of the things I love about my Innova DISCatcher Traveler is its mobility. I didn't have a yard for the first year and a half I owned mine, and its light weight and super quick set up/tear down time (a matter of seconds) made it easy to haul to a nearby square or park to practice. I still take advantage of this mobility to bring it out to a park near my house that's lit at night or to a local track that's also lit for some combination field work/putting practice. The price is right, too!

The device you're reading this message on probably costs 2-3x more than a practice basket. Yep...go buy a practice basket, get good at putting. ;)

I used a tire from a kids mountain bike. It fits perfectly on a 1 inch pipe. The pipe sits in a stand from one of those stand up oscillating fans. The basket is the bottom of a 50 gallon plastic drum. Maybe someone can recommend the correct size, 30 gallon brute can, 40 gallon etc.

Research the correct size for the chains. I got that wrong.

I stopped practicing too for a while but I always come back to it and I'm glad I got a basket in my backyard.

I had a friend who wanted a way to practice and I had him just drive a broom handle in the ground and then slide one of those foam pool noodles over it. Gives you a target and dosent damage discs. On another note, I too don't like to just stand there and putt nonstop. I practice up shots from 100 ft. or so and then putt out from where each disc lands.

Latest posts