• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting stance

mark996

Double Eagle Member
Regarding putting and supporting leg, is it a stance violation to move the other leg back and forward for putts in the circle? Not a walking putt or jump putt, simply stepping your non supporting leg up to BEHIND your supporting leg, not past it, or the marker, and still showing balance.

Yeah, I'm just dilly dallying around seeing what works. I can't settle on a putting technique apparently.

Yeah, I'm just dilly dallying around seeing what works. I can't settle on a putting technique apparently.

I messed with a straddle finish like that, in the same vein as 2013 era Wysocki or 2014 era Big Jerm. There is a reason both of those guys stopped putting like that, and I did too.

Regarding putting and supporting leg, is it a stance violation to move the other leg back and forward for putts in the circle? Not a walking putt or jump putt, simply stepping your non supporting leg up to BEHIND your supporting leg, not past it, or the marker, and still showing balance.

On a related point, this forum taught me that your "other" foot can actually be closer than the one behind your mini, as long as it is not closer to the basket than the back of the mini. Stated another way, your other foot can actually be closer to the basket than the foot that is behind the marker.

I found this clinic put on by David Feldberg to be very helpful in getting me on track. I am new to disc golf (new to taking it seriously) and desperately needed direction on how to develop a putting method. This has helped tremendously already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_7RPOmSSsU

(near the end, he addresses the legality of putting stance and stroke relative to needing to demonstrate balance)

The video of what you do falls under example E-4.

A-3 @ 1:55 is technically illegal now. You are supposed to put the 2nd foot down behind you lie, demonstrating balance, before stepping across your lie.

A-3 @ 1:55 is technically illegal now. You are supposed to put the 2nd foot down behind you lie, demonstrating balance, before stepping across your lie.
All clips are still correct. Placing your other foot down before you move forward is one way to potentially show balance but it's not the only way.

All clips are still correct. Placing your other foot down before you move forward is one way to potentially show balance but it's not the only way.
Not according to some of the pros, such as Feldberg. As he describes @ the 39:00 mark here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_7RPOmSSsU

Then again, this is an older vid, and I am just a n00b, so please correct me if I misunderstand how this is currently being enforced.

Not according to some of the pros, such as Feldberg. As he describes @ the 39:00 mark here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_7RPOmSSsU

Then again, this is an older vid, and I am just a n00b, so please correct me if I misunderstand how this is currently being enforced.

It's a common misconception that you HAVE to put your back foot down behind your mark. That is the easiest/best way to "demonstrate balance" but not the only way, nor is it required by the rules.

Feldberg was later corrected but unfortunately, it's hard to correct an older video still floating around on the Internet. What is relevant is the Demonstrate Balance vid is still posted on the PDGA site and will be updated if there are changes in the rules.

What Chuck is trying to describe as "place your back foot down" and what Feldberg is demonstrating by dragging his foot are not the same thing. The reversing direction to put you back foot down that Chuck is trying to describe is legal the drag your foot going by as you fall forward that Feldberg demonstrates is not. What the rule is trying to prevent is a putt where the momentum of your throw carries you past your lie. Anything that demonstrates you didn't do that should be considered legal. It's a difficult thing to describe in a rule in such a way that it's easy to define exactly what's legal and what isn't. But if you understand the concept of what the rule is trying to prevent it's not that tough to see if someone has "demonstrated balance before proceeding past their lie."

It's a difficult thing to describe in a rule in such a way that it's easy to define exactly what's legal and what isn't. But if you understand the concept of what the rule is trying to prevent it's not that tough to see if someone has "demonstrated balance before proceeding past their lie."

Exactly. It's hard to spell out but it passes the eye test easily. You know it when you see it

I've suggested that future rules incorporate official pictures and video clips for better understanding, especially since we have an international player audience who may better understand the concepts when shown versus reading an English translation.

What Chuck is trying to describe as "place your back foot down" and what Feldberg is demonstrating by dragging his foot are not the same thing. The reversing direction to put you back foot down that Chuck is trying to describe is legal the drag your foot going by as you fall forward that Feldberg demonstrates is not. What the rule is trying to prevent is a putt where the momentum of your throw carries you past your lie. Anything that demonstrates you didn't do that should be considered legal. It's a difficult thing to describe in a rule in such a way that it's easy to define exactly what's legal and what isn't. But if you understand the concept of what the rule is trying to prevent it's not that tough to see if someone has "demonstrated balance before proceeding past their lie."

I wonder if "the momentum of your throw may not carry you past your lie" would be a good start at defining what's legal.

OK, excellent. Thanks for the clarification. Just want to make sure I'm playing within the rules.