• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting with Mids

We have an older local pro that putts with a mid. He's uses a beat stingray of beat roc. He is a great putter and he was a former world doubles champion '90 or '91. So what works for you can work.

I will try longer putts with my Mako, sometimes. As someone else said, it stays straighter for longer.

I bag Pures and they are a pretty fast putter (speed 3). I will drive my beat in Opto Pure for up to 275'. If you like mids for putting maybe you should try a faster putter. I was using a Rhyno before I got my first Pure. I still use the Rhyno for certain shots but the Pures are my workhorses.

As an engineer, golf discs are designed for specific purposes. I use them for their designed purpose. Putt with putters.

I putt with a Rhyno and a dx Roc. I love the glide I get with the Roc. I'll use it for uphill putts, kneeling putts, straddle putts and on some putts outside the circle.

And I don't agree that you should throw a putter off the tee or for your upshots. You should do what works for you. I throw most of my upshots with a dx Roc. Way more throw-ins with that disc vs. any other disc I have.

I have played with folks who do better than average with a mid, but they are few and far between. My first putting progression was when I dedicated to putting with Rocs. There are pitfalls such as overshoot and rollouts with mids. Just go with what works. I ended up coming back to putters and even find them taking away upshots from my mids.

I short putt with a 175 DX Skeeter. Long putt with G*Skeeter, DX Roc or Roc3 depending on shot, etc.

See my full rant under I Hate Putters.

Lots of hard opinions on the topic here, but I guess if there's one thing you can count on from DGCR it's polemics. :)

Despite my affection for the Roc, I've felt a disturbance in The Force. Having had what alcoholics refer to as "a moment of clarity" with a couple of recent good results and a surge of confidence as of late, I think I'm going to give the putters another go of it in an attempt to further improve. The bellicose stricture on the evils of holing-out with a Roc provided the coup-de-gras in convincing me that maybe I was less than fair in my early dismissal of the effectiveness of putters. After all, I wouldn't want other disc golfers to think that (horror of horrors!) I'm "a n00b."

Thanks, y'all. And I don't mean that in an Eddie Haskel sort-of-way, either. :)

You know what they say, putt with mids and you'll get SIDS.

Okay, they don't say that, but they should. :|

I sometimes use a beat up Stingray (180 g) for longer putts ... it just stays straight longer than some of the putters I use

~ edd

Similar tactics with under stable to stable mids. The larger diam seems to glide better and is more likely to find metal. I only use roc for headwind putting, but i like my lighter comet fo 50 ft or so as it seems to get there without feeling the need to add anything extra to the shot. A great tweener disc for longer putts is a wedge. It also tends to hold a line longer without adding any steps, jumps or unnecessary movements to the putt. The only down side I notice when I used my makoiii for putting was , basket hits seemed to turn into big roll always more often.

I think I have seen about every one of the handful of reason why putters are superior for their jobs, over mids. As you get the chance to find a putter that does it for you, your mind will likely change. You can drive with putters, putt with mids.....but, each does have a specific utility. I takes time and practice to utilize each kind of disc to it's potential. Good luck, man.

Putting with a roc is not such a bad thing I don't think. There was an article about one of the older players who always putts with a roc and was one of the best at upshots. He was playing at the USDGC when I read the article. I wish I could remember his name. I used to switch to rocs for really windy days and had a lot of success.

Last edited:
I have a buddy who's been playing for over 20 years a swears by putting with his leopard uses it in tournaments an everything. He usally goes 4 to 5 under every game

When I started my first discs were a Hydra, 150g DX Valkyre and one of the most underrated, all around disc ever, the Innova DX Gremlin. I putted with the Gremlin initially when starting for almost a year and then transitioned to a P & A Aviar.

I only use a flx buzz or max weight drone on 100 foot approaches in heavy winds. Other than that, you need to check out the judge. And inside the circle a wizard. That's my game anyway. Take it from someone who used to do it - your game will get much better when you accept putters into your bag.

If you don't like putters because of how deep they are, I might recommend trying to find an Axiom Envy at your closest disc golf store. It's a putter, but much shallower than any I've seen.

It isn't a mid, but in heavy winds I've found my Amp to function as an excellent close range (in the circle) putter. I don't know if it's the small diameter or the beveled edge, but it feels better in some of those strange wind conditions that pop up.

Latest posts