• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Quest for better form

Better video framing and resolution would help. You look like a tiny big foot caught on VHS. I think you are tilting your head/ear over into your shoulder. Note how Marc's head stays upright to the shoulders and swing plane.

Are you throwing a big anhyzer on destroyer?

Are you throwing a big anhyzer on destroyer?

Just putting a little anny on it to get a flex despite the gusting tailwind behind me. Otherwise, I'll likely end up around 430-440.

And sorry for the resolution. I was filming on an iPhone 7 but switched to a 6. I'll be getting a much better camera phone soon.

I notice his backswing is in full arm extension for a pretty long time on that 360. Is that something unique to that throw?

Last edited:
Simon thinks it's important, and there might be a little more potential with the extra change of direction at the top, but I think it's just harder to time that way, like he says. Scott Stokely keeps his arm straight the entire backswing - pendulum. Marc is more of hybrid, his twin brother Ken does it more like Simon and both throw about the same distance. IMO there really isn't much difference between them.

I think the commonality of all distance throwers is that the shoulders are still going back relative to the hips striding forward like door frame drill. Seppo would be doing door frame drill with his elbow holding the door frame instead of his hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tTmChFu8ZU&t=11m4s

I watched your elephant walk drill and I'm still conflicted.

Does the peak of the backswing end as the plant foot toes touch the ground or as your heel touches the ground?

Watching slo-mos, sometimes there's just a fraction of differentiation between throws that make it tough to understand. Danny Lindahl says that the apex of the backswing is as the plant foot touches the ground, but I feel there is a lot of power to be lost or gained in that split second of time between the toes touching the ground and the plant heel actually grounding the throw.

So the question remains, do you swivel the butt back as you're shifting weight into the throw more like squashing a bug, or do you ground your heel, let the momentum carry your bodyweight to the right (RHBH) then pivot?

Lots of self-hugging going on, which is acceptable during these socially distanced times, but unfortunately prevents you from throwing further. Your arm is getting pinned up against your chest and that really will rob you of a lot of power. The shoulders are too open when you plant and you are already trying to look forward before the swing happens.

cBXAXvD.png

That is the frame from when your weight settles on the front leg, here are a few pros, look much further they are turned back and notably how much further back their elbows are.

4Pbn45U.png

oCgADHQ.png

Should be planted firmly into front foot before top of backswing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CSHqnYNijw#t=1m30s

6LeWEMD.png

Squashing the bug... like twisting or spinning the rear foot? No. Rear foot is a lateral shifting move before planting front heel/helping plant heel. Rotation happens like you when you walk.

I meant squashing a bug in reference to the brace of your plant foot and rotation. But I think it's definitely clear as day that I need to figure out the door frame drill motion and learn how to properly get my shoulders to stay back whilst planting my leg. Something about it doesn't feel "right" and I'm having a lot of trouble discovering how it's supposed to feel. Wish we could do this in person. Guess it's time to go back to the nets and slow down. Got some time off tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get it sorted.

Edit: after working the door frame drill a bit the step into brace is probably still a little too wide for my skill level.

Last edited:
I'm not trying spin the front foot either, just crushing the can standing in dynamic balance to the finish.

Front foot/heel should glide forward just above ground in door frame drill and plant really quick toe to heel with the heel still moving forward after toes hit. The heel doesn't have to plant forward of the toes or go from really high like actually crushing 6" can. Crush a 1-2" tall can holding door frame and you should get pulled back/bounce back after heel plants instead of fully shifting.

Went out on Tuesday, did field practice for an hour and a half then played 36 holes. Still pretty tired from that day alone, so I went out and did some fieldwork instead. I found some batting cages that I could use to my advantage and practiced form for about an hour in there. Nets are definitely great tools alongside cameras.

Thanks for all your help thus far. Hoping to be able to repay you one day.

Edit:
I guess one of the main things I see here is that my brace could use some attention.

Last edited:

Just lightly throwing at the net. Trying to focus on fundamentals.

You got it. I'll work on that. I still feel like my shoulders are turning a fraction too quickly.

I couldn't discipline myself to throw into a net today but felt like throwing mid-ranges and putters.

Trying to get them to pass over 400 focusing mainly on using the leverage of my body and not excessive force.

Right now Mids are going around 360~390 at a pace that lets me focus on form.

Looking better. Just looks like your shoulders stop turning further back or turn back too fast, like you are too tight and not relaxed enough to complete the backswing fully shifted into the plant.
attachment.php

Attachments

• al eagle dfd.jpg
    al eagle dfd.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 71
Looking better. Just looks like your shoulders stop turning further back or turn back too fast, like you are too tight and not relaxed enough to complete the backswing fully shifted into the plant.
attachment.php

I was thinking that today as I threw, I just couldn't get comfortable with timing my weight shift to my plant foot with my shoulders reared that far back...

Do you think my shoulders still need to be more forward when executing the throw like in your previous critique?

I was thinking that today as I threw, I just couldn't get comfortable with timing my weight shift to my plant foot with my shoulders reared that far back...

Do you think my shoulders still need to be more forward when executing the throw like in your previous critique?
Yep, longer linear right shoulder swing back to front.

Good news is that I went out and threw a couple of shots at about 500. One was at about 515 with my star wraith. This spot reminds me a lot of when I could throw 350 and would occasionally get a big flex shot that would go 400.

Id say I'm at about the 450 zone now as long as my form is good. Weirdly enough, my forehand distance is also increasing. Perhaps the fundamentals transfer well

Plenty of room for improvement, however. I still need to drill and make sure my shoulders stay loose for long enough during my backswing that I don't start executing the throw too early. It's an easy habit to fall into if I'm not concerned about my form.

Latest posts