• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Quest for better form

As you're crushing the can, do you want to continue cocking your backswing back or keep it static?

Also when I'm attempting to rotate my upper body back like eagle is posed, I feel like there's a much larger margin of error of posture to be had which is why I'm afraid of it right now.

...small details that make a big difference

Last edited:
It's like crushing the can in door frame drill and being pulled further back even though everything may be moving targetward.

Trust yourself to catch yourself from behind you. Fear is the enemy.

When you're posed like Eagle in the previous page, do you want to kind of push off the rear foot into the brace?

When you're posed like Eagle in the previous page, do you want to kind of push off the rear foot into the brace?
Should pretty much be done pushing off rear foot by time front heel plants.

D6TzX2A.png

So today I learned that if I keep my weight on my rear leg and transfer it to the crush the can at the right time I get some more consistent distance. Before I don't think I was really too worried about my rear leg weight transfer. Still need to drill it a lot.

I'm buying a little 1lb rubber mallet for throwing. I think it'll help me develop a more stable brace.

Alright.

My shoulders are still turning a fraction of a second too fast, but since I've been holding my weight shift back in the final stride onto the plant foot I've definitely gained some good distance.

The Distance driver shot was probably trekking close to 500, if not over 500. It was mid-flex still about 30 feet off the ground when it hit a tree 430 feet away.

Your front leg stride looks too short/staggered/turned back and having trouble bracing up on it. Your elbow also appears to be too far back - upper arm collapsed too much. Your swing path is really diagonal/rounded from back right tee to front left tee going behind your body, instead of staying more wider out to the side of the body and changing direction on a straighter path more like sine wave - out-in-out or wide-narrow-wide. Watch how Simon reaches back more toward the back left tee side away from his body's direction instead of going back across body toward back right tee side.

giphy.gif

I think that I'm leading too much with my right shoulder when I should be thinking of both my shoulders as a single unit of leverage.

And yes, my reach back and rounding may be a result of all of the above.

Last edited:
Hmm. Some how my distance went from hitting 470 back down to the 380-410 range today... Disc feels like it's lost so much power on release. :/

Hmm. Some how my distance went from hitting 470 back down to the 380-410 range today... Disc feels like it's lost so much power on release. :/
It's common when you're changing things.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mmk got a little back on track today. I'm ruling that 470 was just a very good couple of days. I'd rather have good form than sloppy form. Less release issues.

Watching slow motion clips of pros side-by-side with my field practice today. Two things I've noticed are that I am way too jerky with rotating my shoulders. They seem to have a smooth reach back and pull-through. Most notably is that I may be wrong in that I've been pulling through the moment my arm full extension. From my notes it seems that they're more or less leaving their backswing in full extension until the hips tug it into the pull-through. Is this right?

And my plant foot is, yes, very staggered. So If I take a longer stride into plant, I need to fully extend my knee and my elbow around the same time into release?

^^ It also doesn't help if you are throwing everyday. Body/mind needs rest. Visualization can be about as effective as practice.

I agree you are too quick in transition or not completing the backswing - fully letting go or abandoning.

Rear knee should be going forward into flexion as rear foot extends and elbow/shoulder pulled further back into extension in door frame drill(inertia/lag).

Need the slight pause/levitation/extension like using an axe to chop a tree:

I took a break from field practice and disc golf in general for a couple of days to sort of focus on some other hobbies and give my throwing arm a much-needed break. I had sort of an ah-ha moment in the kitchen as I was cooking breakfast one morning and doing door-frame drills at the same time. Anyway, the name of the game is to learn to step into the brace more naturally like walking as well as gradually escalate the rotation of the shoulders. I can't really explain it, but it definitely feels like it adds more pressure.

Looking better. Try moving your stance to the right/inside of the door frame/inline with arm/disc. Your stance is crossing over to the left of the door frame/arm/disc.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 11.16.38 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 11.16.38 PM copy.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 91

Realized I wasn't really up on the balls of my rear foot throughout most of those throws, so probably could have been better.
Obviously my arm still looks to be positioned funny around the side of my body... I've tried a wider reach back and I seem to lose distance from doing it.

I've been trying to straighten/tuck/swim my left arm down during the pull-through of the throw, but have had a variety of issues incorporating it as I have a tendency to drop my shoulder down with too much force which usually ends up in a missrelease. So for the purpose of filming the video I didn't attempt to tuck the arm really.

At 30 sec you are squishing the bug instead of driving your heel forward.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=38gp-BWlhnM&t=4m45s

Your right elbow is quite low and not really leading forward of shoulder/hugging yourself. Get your elbow up around nip height and forward of shoulder to allow disc closer into center chest.

Try doing this with elbow up, and fan the air out to target. You can get the disc closer to center with it turned vertical and more swing extension with elbow up and forward.

At 30 sec you are squishing the bug instead of driving your heel forward.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=38gp-BWlhnM&t=4m45s

Your right elbow is quite low and not really leading forward of shoulder/hugging yourself. Get your elbow up around nip height and forward of shoulder to allow disc closer into center chest.

Try doing this with elbow up, and fan the air out to target. You can get the disc closer to center with it turned vertical and more swing extension with elbow up and forward.

Thanks, all of those seem like really good tips. I've struggled with the concept of the power pocket for a while now and have just thought of it as a method to keep the hand on the outside of the disc, but perhaps leading with my elbow and keeping the disc more parallel to my shoulders will have a positive impact. I'll definitely be trying this soon.

When shifting into the brace is planting the foot more of a lateral motion or a vertical one with the plant leg? Noticing that I get a little more pow with shifting into my leg more vertically than laterally.

Also, you wanna keep your hips sorta in line over your back foot from a vertical perspective and have your plant foot more out front of your pelvis as you're mid-shift? (talking about an overhead view here if you can picture that.)

Still hitting 420-445 pretty routine. I'd kill for that extra 75-100 feet.

Last edited:

Latest posts