• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Question about the XXX

Jody Mitchell

Eagle Member
I'm looking into trying this disc for a number of reasons (Thumbers, hyzers, etc.) but what I'd like to know is, are the flat top or do they have a dome? I'm sure it's run dependent but would gold line or opto give me a better chance at receiving a flat one if I order from DGC? When it comes to utility discs, I like em flat.

Also, which plastic will hold it's stability the longest? I'm a noob with Lat64 stuff.

Anyways, any advice?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Flat top optos are the way to go if you can find them. I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure they were the first runs. There is a pretty extensive XXX thread somewhere.

ive never seen one id consider domey but some are table top flat and those are the best. opto is crazy durable.

does anyone roll with the XXX????????

Sloppy,where you at son?

Opto is really,really durable,I have a fuse I've thrown probably two or three hundred times and it still flies the same in opto,legitimately 0 change in stability,but GL is no slouch,a river that's been my main turnover for 8 months at the very least,hasn't really lost that much stability,plastic is still sexy :thmbup:

Opto is more durable. I have a couple XXXs in GL that got dinged up in some rocks. Not bad, but it happens. My Opto's have never been nicked. But they are harder to see on some courses so you need to consider that.

As far as dome vs flat, I've never had a bad one. For me the ones I have in the low 170 weights get me a little more distance than the max weight discs. There may be some difference in stability, but they are so consistently over stable it doesn't really matter much. Sometimes there will be slight differences in flight paths, but a few rounds is usually enough to adjust to that.

The XXX is a great thumber/utility disc. You will not be sorry. My preference is lower weight (170 or so) and Opto. But I have a couple 175 GLs and they work fine.

*totally thought you had a question about something else... sorry bro

slinks away..

I have a XXX that has a concave top. I found it at a local course and the previous owner wasn't interested in getting it back. I haven't thrown it to see how it compares to my "normal" flat XXX. If anyone wants it, I would probably part with it.

edit: I love my XXX for short skips and FH rollers. It is a nice utility disc.

Last edited:
I threw Optos for a while...The first couple of runs were really stiff, but then they started coming out in gummier Opto plastic. I had one of the gummier ones give up a considerable chunk on some cement. The flat Optos are best for thumbers. That being said, I throw the GLs now as they are still plenty overstable and actually have some glide as well. They also stick better on spikes that come down with a bit too much angle. Overall they have a bit more range as well. My GL has a very even, medium sized dome.

i like both versions of opto. the domey ones are actually more stable with a higher parting line. i have rolled the XXX with pretty good success. for some reason i just can't throw a tomahawk with it.

what lat is good for tomahawks?

i like both versions of opto. the domey ones are actually more stable with a higher parting line. i have rolled the XXX with pretty good success. for some reason i just can't throw a tomahawk with it.

what lat is good for tomahawks?

There are actually 3 types of XXXs I've thrown:

Type 1: Flat. Pretty overstable and totally dies if not thrown with anny. No glide even much flight to the left, it just dumps. Best for thumbers and other utility shots

Type 2: Flat shoulder, poppy dome in center of disc. These are the same plastic as the flats (mostly HORRIBLE piss yellow and fade out purple, some nice blues). These are more overstable than the flats with a bit more glide. They go a little farther left because they area still flying when they start fading instead of dumping. Not as good for thumbers.

Type 3: Gradual dome starting from the shoulder and sloping up towards the middle. These are the least stable with the most glide, though they are still XXXs. They go a bit farther. Not as good for thumbers, but the best at everything else imo. Most GLs I've seen have this shape.

Type 1: Flat. Pretty overstable and totally dies if not thrown with anny. No glide even much flight to the left, it just dumps. Best for thumbers and other utility shots

Type 2: Flat shoulder, poppy dome in center of disc. These are the same plastic as the flats (mostly HORRIBLE piss yellow and fade out purple, some nice blues). These are more overstable than the flats with a bit more glide. They go a little farther left because they area still flying when they start fading instead of dumping. Not as good for thumbers.

Type 3: Gradual dome starting from the shoulder and sloping up towards the middle. These are the least stable with the most glide, though they are still XXXs. They go a bit farther. Not as good for thumbers, but the best at everything else imo. Most GLs I've seen have this shape.

Definitely in search of a type 1. Sounds like what I'm wanting.

i love my opto xxx

obviously it is my rhbh & rhfh overstable disc but i'v ealso landed some great rhfh rollers and it is currently my long distance overhand disc

i have a couple opto type 2 and type 3.....will do hree for two for blue/teal type 1

ive never seen one id consider domey but some are table top flat and those are the best. opto is crazy durable.

this - i have had a few xXxs from DGC (3) to be exact. All have been flat optos. love this disc for overhands, tight rollers, FH

My Black GL XXX is very flat. The rim is a little too shallow for my liking to be used for thumbers and sidearm though.

Latest posts