• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Question for you Wizard experts out there.

JonathanXz

Bogey Member
With some reccomendations from some people on here I picked up a Glow Wizard.

I really like the mold, it's exactly what I'm looking for. However the Glow plastic is a little more slick than I was hoping for. I was wondering if anyone out there that's had experience with several Wizard plastics would know if one of their plastics wold have a similar stiffness as the Glow but a lot more gummy.

It could be a little less stiff, but not much!

Thanks in advance :clap:

Apparently there's a whole thread about wizards like 3 posts down! It wasnt' there when I was browsing last night, just posted when I got into work ;)

Not sure if my question is answered in there, but I'm going to check.

Stiffness and gumminess are kind of opposites as far as wizards go. What youre after from the sound of it is something with a firmer plate but has some outer tackiness aka grip? I've ran across 2 different types of glow wizards, some that are firmer and slicker and others that are softer and more tacky. The softer batch i would say falls in the supersoft range, maybe bordering on soft. Soft wizards start out pretty firm, like a kc pro aviar but soften up a bit in the plate once you've used it a while. I'd just call the gateway shop and tell them what youre looking for, theyre good like that.

JonathanXz,

I've been throwing organic wizards and medium wizards for several years now. Do yourself a favor and order some of the 'throwback' eraser wizards. They're labeled as 'SS' but are fairly firm and tacky.

PayPal $25 to [email protected]. You'll get three chalky pink tacky eraser wizards delivered to your door in the weights you specify.

Glow wizards come in different grips and stiffness just like normal wizards. Pick your putter out in person if you can and don't be disappointed if you order online. If you don't like it toss it in the putting stack and it may break in better or grow on you.

I carry a non organic SS Glow and non-glow and they are virtually identical in feel and flight to me.

Going and feeling the putter for myself isn't an option. There isn't any place around here that has any sort of variety. It's all sporting goods with your stock Innova for new players. There's one shop that carries some Discraft too but that doesn't help.

ezyrider,

Firm and tacky is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a firm flight plate with no to little wabble in the hand but with a tacky surface.

How slick is your Wizard? I prefer stiff Wizards and I know many start out a bit on the slick side, but get softer/tackier with use. Kind of like the X Comets. The only Wizards that stay slick are the really firm ones that almost have a glossy look to them.

Firm and tacky is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a firm flight plate with no to little wabble in the hand but with a tacky surface.

I have 2 Glow Wizards that match this description. They are out there, but not exactly easy to find unless you can check them out in person....Pretty sure I picked mine up at a local tourney a few years ago.

You should check out the SS and SSS Wizard options. I have found them in the DGCR Marketplace, which is a good spot to find something specific from another golfer who should know the difference between tacky and slick.

Either way, the slick ones typically lose some of the slick-ness feel after they are beat in over time.

How slick is your Wizard? I prefer stiff Wizards and I know many start out a bit on the slick side, but get softer/tackier with use. Kind of like the X Comets. The only Wizards that stay slick are the really firm ones that almost have a glossy look to them.

It's a touch less slick than Titanium. I would say it's almost glossy. Anyone else have experience with the throwback eraser wizards?

I had an Eraser from about two years ago that felt about like what it seems you are describing that you want. It also sounds like your glows are much slicker than mine.

It's a touch less slick than Titanium. I would say it's almost glossy. Anyone else have experience with the throwback eraser wizards?

I say definitely go with the eraser wizards. If all else fails you will easily be able to resell them and get your money back. They sound like exactly what you're wanting.

yes eraser top would be great for you. ss is stiff while having some tac.

My super glow just say the weight on it, not ss, sss. at marshall st all the superglow were the same stiffness, none marked different. mine is also gritty feeling, nice
is there perhaps a glow in various rubber and a separate superglow, only in soft?

leave your glow wizards outside in the elements for a few weeks. i've been seasoning all of my putters this way and it takes a ton of time off the break-in period. i had a few kc avairs that were similar to yours and now they are $$.

leave your glow wizards outside in the elements for a few weeks. i've been seasoning all of my putters this way and it takes a ton of time off the break-in period. i had a few kc avairs that were similar to yours and now they are $$.

Flight plate up? Exposed to sun or no? I'm intrigued!

Latest posts