• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions for 60+ age players

My experience played tournaments during the last few years in NJ is that age protected divisions get closer tees on shotgun starts (my group was on #2 a few weeks ago).

And playing age-protected is so much more pleasant. Sure, we're competing - but not with all that drama I found in MA2.

It really depends on the course around here but for the most part you are more likely to see MA1 play the same thing as MPO than you are to see MP50 or MP60 play the same thing as MPO.

I pick and choose my tournies for this reason. I can keep up, but the question I always pose to myself is do I really want to, lol.

I play in North Carolina, Florida and Georgia. Probably half the events I play, we throw mostly short pads unless the
The course is what I will refer to as normal length.

When I drop down to AM50 down to open, I throw the same layout as everyone else.

I have had a few events where they should have shortened the course for the old guys and failed. It was painful to watch. Most of the field checked out half way through the round.

Now if the course only has one layout then everyone get the the same punishment. But it might be the places I play do this and not many other events see the need.

As a semi old dude myself, I pick and choose my tournaments based off the length of the course. Anything under 6,000' is okay with me and there are a few courses that I am familiar with in the 7,500' range that I'm okay with. Anything longer than that and I probably won't be interested in playing a competitive round.

As a semi old dude myself, I pick and choose my tournaments based off the length of the course. Anything under 6,000' is okay with me and there are a few courses that I am familiar with in the 7,500' range that I'm okay with. Anything longer than that and I probably won't be interested in playing a competitive round.

I do the same thing but based on hole length rather than course length. I would 1000 times rather play a 600 foot hole than a 400 foot one. No gambling for me at courses loaded with long open par 3's.

I do the same thing but based on hole length rather than course length. I would 1000 times rather play a 600 foot hole than a 400 foot one. No gambling for me at courses loaded with long open par 3's.

I just find the overall length gives me a general idea of what to expect.

For instance, a 5,600' course means I'll be dealing with an average hole distance of 311'. Obviously some holes will be longer and some shorter than others but it gives me a general idea without having to see the length of each individual hole.

Those 450' par threes are hard to score on for me but honestly there aren't going to be many birdies on them in the divisions I play in anyways so a par isn't losing me strokes against the field.

The "best" course for your competition level is one where you and your cohorts have the power to reach every hole in regulation (1 shot>par 3, 2 shots>par 4, 3 shots>par 5) with the chance for birdie (especially relatively wide-open courses). Playing courses with several hole lengths longer than your range turns into the less-fun game of hanging on to avoid bogeys and watching the few in your age division with even just a little more distance rack up the prizes.

The "best" course for your competition level is one where you and your cohorts have the power to reach every hole in regulation (1 shot>par 3, 2 shots>par 4, 3 shots>par 5) with the chance for birdie (especially relatively wide-open courses). Playing courses with several hole lengths longer than your range turns into the less-fun game of hanging on to avoid bogeys and watching the few in your age division with even just a little more distance rack up the prizes.

Those players with a little more distance might feel differently.

If my skillset includes better distance than you, but your skillset includes better putting than me, with the result that our ratings are similar, I may feel that there should be a few holes to reward my strengths.

Though I agree that the shots-to-green matter more on especially relatively wide-open courses. Sometimes these discussions lean toward the assumption of a single type of course. When I think of good holes that require "hanging on to avoid bogeys", they're not generally wide-open holes where distance is the main determinant.

Those players with a little more distance might feel differently.

If my skillset includes better distance than you, but your skillset includes better putting than me, with the result that our ratings are similar, I may feel that there should be a few holes to reward my strengths.

Though I agree that the shots-to-green matter more on especially relatively wide-open courses. Sometimes these discussions lean toward the assumption of a single type of course. When I think of good holes that require "hanging on to avoid bogeys", they're not generally wide-open holes where distance is the main determinant.
Distance is not so much a skill but a physical trait where you work to reach your max D within several years of practice once starting the game. Then, once in your 40s, it's all you can do to retain your max distance as long as possible. Players with distance potential to reach every green on a specific course but weaker putting will consistently beat those with less distance that cannot reach several baskets but have better putting skills.

Note that longer, presumably stronger, throwers also have the potential to become better putters now that baskets are a wall of chains where simply throwing hard and straight works without needing to accurately judge distance like players with less power who have to loft putts at the proper angle and speed to match their distance judgment.

I've won many times, over players who throw further than I do (which is, almost everyone). My regular casual opponent right now is a 15-year-old who can throw 100' further, yet our ratings are only 7 points apart.

Judging from the number of discussion forums and videos about technique, some people seem to think distance involves more than just inborn athleticism.

Y'all need to come play the Duncan Lake Hillclimber B Tier in March. 42 holes on Saturday, another 21 on Sunday and the pro divisions get a final 9. Played it for the first time last year at 60 and caddied the final 9 for a buddy in MP40. Took me a couple days to recover from that one.

Just registered for MA50...... gotta get my thrills while I'm still young.

I've won many times, over players who throw further than I do (which is, almost everyone). My regular casual opponent right now is a 15-year-old who can throw 100' further, yet our ratings are only 7 points apart.

Judging from the number of discussion forums and videos about technique, some people seem to think distance involves more than just inborn athleticism.

I have yet to have a pro victory where I was not the shortest thrower in the lead group.

Ah that why all of the par 5 you design are 1,300 ft.

Just kidding. :)

Latest posts