• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions on a few things.

stach23

For some reason, disc golf (at least everywhere I've played) seems to be synonymous with marijuana. It's clearly player misconduct in the rule book, so how do you go about calling somebody on it, and what's the penalty? And what if the TD also smokes and doesn't understand the complaint? Apparently I'm the minority that doesn't think it's cool, but sorry folks, I don't want to smell like it or have it in my system. So what happens? Who do I tell? Does it have to be seconded?

Also, I'm wondering if "clearing your putt" is actually a rule. Everybody does in tournaments, but in my local leagues, they don't know what the hell you're doing. So is it actually mandated for you to do that without being asked?

And also, if a player calls another player on a violation, but rudely, can he inturn be called for a courtesy violation, and if so, can any player in the group do that? Like this. Player A foot faults. Player B says, "that's a foot fault, a******." Can Player C call a courtesy violation?

Explain to the smokers at the start how you feel about it. In my experience, most people are very respectful if you politely ask them not to smoke around you. Let them know that if you see it, you will report them to the TD, then follow through on that. If the TD refuses to do anything about it, he can be reported to the PDGA.

You must always put your own disc in the basket to hole out. No one can clear it for you and there are no gimmies. Often in more casual play, even leagues, people will relax that rule. But in tournaments you should always hole out fully.

If you're using abusive language on a call you could be called for a courtesy violation. But the act of calling an infraction cannot be considered a courtesy violation itself.

The point of clearing your putt out is to remove the "distraction" of you disc in the basket so that the next player can putt. It is courteous to remove your disc for the next player putting. But even more so, I've seen cases where a disc bounces off of a disc sitting in the tray.

The point of clearing your putt out is to remove the "distraction" of you disc in the basket so that the next player can putt. It is courteous to remove your disc for the next player putting. But even more so, I've seen cases where a disc bounces off of a disc sitting in the tray.

Ooooh, that's what he meant by "clearing your putt." Apparently I wasn't awake when I first read it.

To answer the original question, no, there is no specific rule on it. But if someone asks you to clear your putt and you don't, you could be given a courtesy violation. A disc in the tray is a modification to the original basket and should be "fixed." There are some players that don't care about the disc in the basket and will go right into their own pre-putt routine as soon as yours goes in. In those cases it's best to stay back and just let them putt rather than breaking their focus.

The reason you don't see this in leagues or casual play as much is that people are generally more relaxed about these kinds of things in those settings. In a tournament I will always ask people to clear their putts before mine, in league I don't care.

You must always put your own disc in the basket to hole out. No one can clear it for you and there are no gimmies. Often in more casual play, even leagues, people will relax that rule. But in tournaments you should always hole out fully.

There's no rule that you must be the one to take your disc out of the basket, the hole is complete when your disc comes to rest in the basket.

Ooooh, that's what he meant by "clearing your putt." Apparently I wasn't awake when I first read it.

To answer the original question, no, there is no specific rule on it. But if someone asks you to clear your putt and you don't, you could be given a courtesy violation.

The courtesy violation rule is the specific rule, or at least close to it:

F. Players shall not stand or leave their equipment where interference with a disc in play may occur. A player may require other players to move themselves or their equipment if either could interfere with the throw. Refusal to do so is a courtesy violation.

True, it doesn't specifically state clearing the disc from the basket before the next player putts, but I think it clearly applies.

Be polite and courteous about infractions and how far you push to get "your way" and you will have a positive experience.

Push people and try to get people DQ'd by complaining to the TD and expect some backlash and isolation.

There's no rule that you must be the one to take your disc out of the basket, the hole is complete when your disc comes to rest in the basket.

Yes I know that. In my early morning haze I was thinking of "clearing" as dropping in a gimmie putt. Not removing the disc from the basket.

The courtesy violation rule is the specific rule, or at least close to it:

F. Players shall not stand or leave their equipment where interference with a disc in play may occur. A player may require other players to move themselves or their equipment if either could interfere with the throw. Refusal to do so is a courtesy violation.

True, it doesn't specifically state clearing the disc from the basket before the next player putts, but I think it clearly applies.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. You won't find anything about removing your disc from the basket in the rulebook, which is what I think the OP was really asking. But the rule you quoted certainly applies to that situation.

Note that the quoted rule is "a player may require other players to move themselves or their equipment if either could interfere..." not "players are required to move themselves or their equipment if either could interfere..."

You are not required to clear your putt unless asked to by another player. If it is in the basket and distracts them, or if their disc hits your disc and bounces out, according to the rules that is on them and not on you. So you don't HAVE to clear your putt. However, it is still good etiquette to do so. But when you go to clear your putt, have situational awareness and don't do so if someone is setting up for their putt.

Note that the quoted rule is "a player may require other players to move themselves or their equipment if either could interfere..." not "players are required to move themselves or their equipment if either could interfere..."

You are not required to clear your putt unless asked to by another player. If it is in the basket and distracts them, or if their disc hits your disc and bounces out, according to the rules that is on them and not on you. So you don't HAVE to clear your putt. However, it is still good etiquette to do so. But when you go to clear your putt, have situational awareness and don't do so if someone is setting up for their putt.

Actually the next person who is getting ready to putt has to have situational awareness and make sure no one else is trying to clear out not the other way around. You are allowed to clear your disc out after you throw.

For some reason, disc golf (at least everywhere I've played) seems to be synonymous with marijuana. It's clearly player misconduct in the rule book, so how do you go about calling somebody on it, and what's the penalty? And what if the TD also smokes and doesn't understand the complaint? Apparently I'm the minority that doesn't think it's cool, but sorry folks, I don't want to smell like it or have it in my system. So what happens? Who do I tell? Does it have to be seconded?

Also, I'm wondering if "clearing your putt" is actually a rule. Everybody does in tournaments, but in my local leagues, they don't know what the hell you're doing. So is it actually mandated for you to do that without being asked?

No offense, but you are playing the wrong sport. I am yet to have gone to a tournament where people were not abusing drugs. It is just a part of it, like it or not, agree with it or not.

If you want it to end around you, introduce yourself as "Officer X of the X City Police Department", that should keep it at bay, but I wouldn't try to call faults on it, just treat it like cigarette smoke.

Actually the next person who is getting ready to putt has to have situational awareness and make sure no one else is trying to clear out not the other way around. You are allowed to clear your disc out after you throw.

I was talking about etiquette. Yes, you may have the right to clear your disc, but you should still be aware and not do so if someone is setting up.

Although, now that I think about it: do you actually have the right to clear your disc under the official PDGA rules? I took a quick look, and couldn't find anything. However, there is a rule that you cannot advance up the fairway if that will distract other players. What is your basis for saying that clearing your disc is an exception?

What about a long hole in one? Saw Climo do that then had to run way up there to clear the disc.
Then do you have to come back to the tee? Can't remember if he did that or not.

If they just set up, I will usually ask if they want it cleared. Sometimes players set up but still expect you to clear.

I was talking about etiquette. Yes, you may have the right to clear your disc, but you should still be aware and not do so if someone is setting up.

Although, now that I think about it: do you actually have the right to clear your disc under the official PDGA rules? I took a quick look, and couldn't find anything. However, there is a rule that you cannot advance up the fairway if that will distract other players. What is your basis for saying that clearing your disc is an exception?

After I'm done with the hole, I'm supposed to collect my stuff and move to the next tee.

800.01 Description of the Game
The object of the game of disc golf is to traverse a course from beginning to end in the fewest throws of the disc. The competitor who plays the stipulated round or rounds in the fewest throws plus penalty throws is the winner.

Play on each hole begins at the teeing area and ends at the target. After the player has thrown from the tee, each successive throw is made from where the previous throw came to rest. On completing a hole, the player proceeds to the teeing area of the next hole, until all holes have been played.

Disc golf courses are normally laid out in and around wooded areas with diverse terrain to provide natural obstacles to the flight of the disc. These natural obstacles are very much a part of the game and must not be altered by a player in any way to decrease the difficulty of a hole. Players must play the course as they find it and play the disc where it lies unless allowed otherwise by these rules.

No offense, but you are playing the wrong sport. I am yet to have gone to a tournament where people were not abusing drugs. It is just a part of it, like it or not, agree with it or not.

If you want it to end around you, introduce yourself as "Officer X of the X City Police Department", that should keep it at bay, but I wouldn't try to call faults on it, just treat it like cigarette smoke.

I see people imbibing during casual and league rounds all the time, but I've never personally witnessed it during a tourney (not saying it never happens, just never seen it). I think most people want to be sharp and focused during tournaments, so maybe there's less in that circumstance. Personally, I don't want to breathe any sort of smoke, regardless of the source. I could care less who smokes what, but I'll politely ask them to stand downwind of me if they are on my card. If they can't keep it under control after I've aksed and made an conscious effort to stay away from it myself, damn right I'll tell the TD. And if he doesn't do squat, damn right I'll let the PDGA know.

But if it's an unsanctioned event, I guess my only option might be pissing in their water bottle... I figure that 'd make us about even. :gross:

it is still good etiquette to do so.

Actually the next person who is getting ready to putt has to have situational awareness and make sure no one else is trying to clear out not the other way around.

Sometimes players set up but still expect you to clear.

I don't completely agree with the whole of all of the posts, but this is what I agree with fully^^. I know when I am getting to my marker pre-putt, I still expect the disc to be cleared if there is one in the basket. I don't want my disc to get a weird bounce off the other disc and out of the basket. I'd rather take my chances with just the basket to get a bad bounce out of. I may be look ready to putt when I am at my marker, but I'm not until the disc is cleared. I don't usually call anyone out if they don't get it after I ask them to, I'll just get the disc myself and place it on the ground. Technically, at that point, I could call a courtesy violation.

After I make my putt, I always head toward the basket to clear it, even if the next guy is 5' away.

Play on each hole begins at the teeing area and ends at the target. After the player has thrown from the tee, each successive throw is made from where the previous throw came to rest. On completing a hole, the player proceeds to the teeing area of the next hole, until all holes have been played.

That is just giving you a general idea of how the sport is supposed to be played, and I don't think should be interpreted as a rule per se. For example, after you are holed out, I would argue that you still have a responsibility (as per the rules) to watch other people for violations. And if, after holing out, you refused to help look for a lost disc because "I am supposed to proceed to the next tee," I would call a courtesy violation.

I've never touched the stuff, but don't be a pussy, you're not going to smell like it or get it in your system.