• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Raised print inside rim.

MaxFlight

Eagle Member
Hey guys,

Not sure why Discraft in particular seems to have aggressively raised print on the inside of the rim... Right where you grip the disc!
I have a few molds with this issue... Any tips on removing this without causing damage?
Thought about a semi-fine sandpaper...
But open to tips before attempting.

Wondering why they don't mark their discs differently....

No help with your question, but... I actually like the feel of the lettering when I use a power grip with my Buzzzs. Predators, too, I think. I'm not sure about Zones and Drones. I'll have to pay attention sometime.

Seems you're on the right track for removal with a fine sandpaper.

No help with your question, but... I actually like the feel of the lettering when I use a power grip with my Buzzzs. Predators, too, I think. I'm not sure about Zones and Drones. I'll have to pay attention sometime.

Seems you're on the right track for removal with a fine sandpaper.

Jim's not alone on liking the feel of the printing.

Like others have said, switch where you grip.

Sanding the letters down should work, but it'll still leave it a bit rough, even if you finish with finer than 220 grit Probs better than the lettering from your perspective, but I'm thinking if you don't like the way the lettering feels, you still might not be happy with the way the sanded spot feels either.

...especially now that I've planted that seed in your head. :D

Jim's not alone on liking the feel of the printing.

Like others have said, switch where you grip.

Sanding the letters down should work, but it'll still leave it a bit rough, even if you finish with finer than 220 grit Probs better than the lettering from your perspective, but I'm thinking if you don't like the way the lettering feels, you still might not be happy with the way the sanded spot feels either.

...especially now that I've planted that seed in your head. :D

I mean.....you can use a plastic polish and some 3000 grit and get it pretty darn smooth....it'll just take ya till spring....

Does that fall under the illegal disc modification rules?

I can't stand any texture on the inner rim, that's why I refuse to throw those discs. Except for the Zone. In which case I rotate and hold it where it's clean.

I like having the choice to grip the lettered part of the rim or the smooth part. Different weather conditions dictate which I choose. Seems like some of my older discraft discs had a crosshatch pattern across a quarter of the rim for that very reason.

So dose the DGA Titanic have that Crosshatch pattern even on the newer discs. Some of the Last of the DGA Proline Titanic's had this that I got, if they did not then the rim has a odd number thing like one of my Proline Titanic's. I think some of the D Titanic's still have this too.

Odd thing is though with the raised lettering, some discs have almost too much. A few of my Z Stalker backups I have are like this with some extra numbers that do not mean a thing as they got double stamped and the disc ends up with 75% of rim with raised letters/numbers. It does not bother me as I use a slanted power grip type throw so I am not as affected by things like this as opposed to people using the straight fingered power grip as those people need to grip the disc tighter to have the straight power grip work when driving.

Can't say I've ever noticed when throwing.

Not all their discs have it. I haven't bothered to figure out if there's any pattern to which molds/plastics/runs it's present on.

Not all their discs have it. I haven't bothered to figure out if there's any pattern to which molds/plastics/runs it's present on.
The old molds (think Magnet/Cyclone/Comet/XL) that came out before Z plastic had the old Walled Lake tooling on the underside of the flight plate like Innova discs; after Z plastic came out they moved it to the inside of the rim. For quite a while you would still get discs like a Comet with the old tooling, but I think by now all of the old discs are OOP or they have had the tooling moved to the inside rim.

When the discs are brand new sometimes they don't have any tooling (Ace Race discs for example) and the first run of Sols still did not have any tooling, so that might be what you mean. I don't know if there are older Discraft discs that just never got any tooling or not. If there are, I don't think there is a pattern to it. It's probable more of an oversight than anything with a plan. So far as I'm aware the tooling on the Buzzz SS still just says "Buzzz"; I don't think that is keeping anybody at Discraft awake at night worrying about it.

The Proto's don't seem to have any tooling. Neither do SOME first runs. My first run Raptor is smooth, however my first Run Anax's are tooled. But the Proto Anax doesn't have any, neither does my Malta.

I don't like it, but I do like the consistent flights I can achieve with Discraft plastic, so I just rotate it. But I have slight OCD, I like to be able to read the stamp as I throw, so... It sucks in that circumstance. Lol

I think all my DC have it, I just don't think I've ever noticed when throwing.
I really don't notice it most of the time.

I notice it if I can get in a zone, though; when I'm really focused and executing well it's a little thing that I notice but it doesn't bother me. I'll actually adjust my grip over to be on top of it because I like the extra texture there.

When I'm in my usual "I missed my line by 20'" blunder through the park, I never notice it and just grip the disc wherever.

So I'm the opposite of the OP; noticing the tooling on the inside rim for me is a very good sign.

I don't like it, but I do like the consistent flights I can achieve with Discraft plastic, so I just rotate it. But I have slight OCD, I like to be able to read the stamp as I throw, so... It sucks in that circumstance. Lol
I play with a guy who doesn't look at the stamp and holds the disc any which way; I can't look at him when he is on the tee or lining up shot. It's like anarchy. :| Fortunately most people seem to hold the disc with the stamp oriented in a way that they can read it.

I play with a guy who doesn't look at the stamp and holds the disc any which way; I can't look at him when he is on the tee or lining up shot. It's like anarchy. :| Fortunately most people seem to hold the disc with the stamp oriented in a way that they can read it.

That's interesting. :thmbup:

When I putt I tend to look at the stamp to see how I'm holding the disc. I put my thumb on the un-stamped space in-between the X in the Aviar-X and the Innova logo on my JKs... which would mean that I could read it. I never thought of being able to read it as the reason for this grip, though.

However, I never look at a stamp on any other throw. I just find where it feels good and throw.