• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Random Putters

Rbuzz9

Eagle Member
i have a super puppy, a flx challenger , and just got a hemp Wizard today - (and threw some 10 foot putts inside with all 3 today (http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/proddetail.asp?prod=wizard_organic_hemp). if you were to pick two of those. What would you go with?

and feel free to give suggestions - i definitely need to practice more - since the last time i played i couldnt hit a damn thing

ive been too obsessed with drivers as of late

I love the old schoolness of the super puppy - i just like the flx challenger - it seems like a great approach disc and i love the feel of the Wizard - the last two are designed similar and have similar flight pattern the super puppy is just like a mini frisbee. is that type of disc worth keeping around?

Never played with a super puppy or wizard but I see tons of people using wizards. The FLX Challenger is my favorite and most used putter. The plastic is super grippy and feels great in your hands. It's overstable enough that it holds it's line to the basket in the wind. Capable of hyzer putts. My favorite putting method for it is anhyzer putts. It's also ridiculously durable. I've drilled some trees numerous times with it on approach shots and short drives and the FLX plastic doesn't even show signs of wear.:eek: Also I like to use it on side-arm approach shots. When thrown kinda hard with slight hyzer it flattens out and holds a long straight line with very little fade. All in all it's a very useful, versatile and durable putt and approach disc with a great feel to it. I would also like to get a wizard because so many people use them as putters. Besides that they now make some out of hemp:eek: That's awesome. It's always good to be environmentally friendly and use sustainable resources.:cool:

If you are bad at putting, try an Aerobie arrow. It flies super straight. PErfect for short and midrange putts, all those "should make" putts that you cant afford to miss

Super Puppy...old school cool. :cool: I would not carry one, but they are a nice straight approach disc. I just can't grip one very well.

For me the Wizard is a lot longer than a Challenger. As far as actual putting goes they are even for me, but the fact that I can get better distance on a short drive or upshot with a Wizard put that disc in my bag.

If I was going to carry two, I'd....hmmm...I wouldn't carry two. I don't like to carry two different discs that do the same thing. It just makes me think a lot about which disc I'm going to throw instead of how I'm going to execute the shot. One kind of putter is plenty for me.

Last edited:
My vote goes to the Wizard.

True, pulling out the Puppy would get some interesting looks and would really surprise people if you could use it well, but they're hard to find (originals are collector items now) which would make finding multiples for practice pretty difficult. Iv'e got one at home and I can't stand the feel of it, but that's just personal preference.

I've only thrown a FLX Challeneger a few times, and it's pretty similar to my favorite putter (Big-bead Aviar), but I'd pass on this for normal putting mainly because of the plastic. Premium plastic sometimes has a tendency to slide through chains, whereas cheaper / less slick plastic will grab the chains. Also, I'm a believer in buying multiples of your go-to putter for practice...and the Wiz would be much more affordable in that regard. You can ususally find x-out Wizards for $5-$7 each.

I briefly switched to the Wizard a few years ago when I hit a putting slump with my KC Aviars. I liked the feel of it (like a smaller diameter Aviar with a lower profile), but eventually went back to the Aviar.

i went ahead and bought the Green Organic Wizard so i now have 2 Organic Wizards for practicing purposes -SO i think I'm a Wizard guy now

Ill keep my Orange FLX challenger around for times when a Green or Black putter might get lost easily

depends on what type of putts you like to throw. i heard the wizard is for lobbing puts on an arc to reduce the distance away from the basket if misses. i like the flx challenger but im an innova guy. discraft makes the biggest variety putters but i like only 1 innova putter and its my baby :)

I have tried several putters as well. I have a Juju, a couple of Birdies, and an Aviar P&A. I thought I would like the juju putters because of the dimples in the plate, but they just don't fly worth a crap. I keep coming back to the birdies for 50 and in and use the aviar for the longer range stuff.

I am sold on the Wizard or Magic and have really like the Super Stupid Soft plastic also. it just plain feels better, but I do not notice it being any more flippy than the Soft or Super Soft. It just seems to be more about the feel to the discs surface. It is a bit more grippy too I suppose.

if you want REALLY soft...there's always the blowfly.....and it floats in water<next to impossible to dry off afterwards though>. And it flies absolutely straight. But you can throw it with hyzer, or ani, and it will also hold that line. The only real negative about it....it does NOT fly well in windy conditions...if it is REALLy windy and open, I have to pull out my Omega super soft

I've recently taken to putting with my Lightning #2 Driver, especially in the wind.

I use Sharks for midrange / long putts, and it feels like a Shark, but in a really grippy yet firm plastic.

Highly questionable disc off the tee, but it has found an unexpected utility.

I just got my Green BioMaterial Wizard - the feel is amazing - softish almost powdery rubber feel - different than the hemp one