• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Random Questions after my first 20 dyes

roggenb3

* Ace Member *
I started dyeing discs about 3 months ago and have done 22 so far. The vast majority of them involved doing something I had never done before - I was trying to get a handle on various techniques and just messing around experimenting. I definely still consider myself a beginner, and far from an expert, but I am getting better.

The reason for this post is that over the course of the dyes I've done and while looking at all the amazing dyes on here, I started thinking I might be doing some things wrong. So here they are:

1) What are the advantages of not cutting stencil designs on the disc itself?

For all my stencil dyes I just cover the disc in clear contact paper and cut the design out right on the disc - I chose that method becuase I was nervous about spending hours cutting something out and then messing up the transfer stage, and it's pretty easy to cut the paper and not the disc.

2) What is the ideal Dye concentration (using iDye Poly)?

I have been mixing mine with roughly 20oz of water, which works great for stove-top dyes, but my shaving cream dyes never seem as vibrant as ones I have seen on here.

3) Same deal with the dye for doing sping dyes - what's the best concentration/mixture?

I don't have a rig for spinning yet but I have done a couple splatter dyes and "spin" dyes (blowing the dye around with a straw to simulate a spin look), and they are all pretty light. Been using dye (mixed with 20 oz), a bit of soap, and a bit of acetone.

I started dyeing discs about 3 months ago and have done 22 so far. The vast majority of them involved doing something I had never done before - I was trying to get a handle on various techniques and just messing around experimenting. I definely still consider myself a beginner, and far from an expert, but I am getting better.

The reason for this post is that over the course of the dyes I've done and while looking at all the amazing dyes on here, I started thinking I might be doing some things wrong. So here they are:

1) What are the advantages of not cutting stencil designs on the disc itself?

For all my stencil dyes I just cover the disc in clear contact paper and cut the design out right on the disc - I chose that method becuase I was nervous about spending hours cutting something out and then messing up the transfer stage, and it's pretty easy to cut the paper and not the disc.

I have been mixing mine with roughly 20oz of water, which works great for stove-top dyes, but my shaving cream dyes never seem as vibrant as ones I have seen on here.

3) Same deal with the dye for doing sping dyes - what's the best concentration/mixture?

I don't have a rig for spinning yet but I have done a couple splatter dyes and "spin" dyes (blowing the dye around with a straw to simulate a spin look), and they are all pretty light. Been using dye (mixed with 20 oz), a bit of soap, and a bit of acetone.

First off...Your Heisenberg collection is f**kin money! True inspriration. I need to make myself a Heisenberg disc soon! :clap:

Here are my opinions/suggestions on your questions

1) What are the advantages of not cutting stencil designs on the disc itself? Maybe just avoiding cutting the disc if that becomes an issue. Never tried it that way but I should. I for one have been using computer printouts that I tape to a piece of vinyl (did a ton of stencils using contact paper in the past) as straight as possible and cut through the vinyl and paper to cut the stencil. I then use a half ass light box setup (I wanna make a real one soon. Just haven't got around to it) using my cell phone and a box with the lights turned off and proceed to center the disc on the stencil.

I have been using anywhere from the whole package when I began, but my latest mixes have been usually in the pint range. So 16 oz. water to apprx. 3 teaspoons of dye. That has been pretty much my ratio for all three brands of dye im currently using (idye, pro chemicals, and pylam) Although with my prochemicals and pylam dyes, I am adding prochemicals dye carrier nsc and synthrapol as well as a tad of vinegar.

Main thing to remember with shaving cream dyes or even dish soap/dish gel dyes is time. Longer they set the better. I keep mine in a dye bed anywhere from 12-24 hours depending on the type of plastic I am dyeing and the shade I am going for. Also keep to your top notch plastics for these dyes. Champion is twice the setting time for any dye usually. Star/esp/similar plastics are great for these types of dyes and take the dye much quicker.

Also you can always adjust your shaving cream and water to dye ratio accordingly and see what pans out better.

This i suggest to not add water. Only use dye powder, laundry detergent, and vinegar and/or acetone if you choose to do so. I would say keep your mix mostly dye powder and laundry detergent and add either vinegar and/or acetone by the eye dropper until your mix feels right and paints on well to the disc. You want it wet but not runny, is what I usually go for. And then use Q tips dipped in either solvent to clean up your lines.

Hopefully some of this helps. Again badass Heisenberg stencils. :D Mad respect! Wish their was another season coming. Show was sooooo goood!!!!

Thanks Odyssey, truly appreciate the advice. Especially with regards to the spin dye mixture, everytime I look at a factory made spin I sit there wondering how the hell they did it. Once I get a spinning rig going I am gong to try one with detergent (although ill need to buy some more dye now).

Do the other companies you mention have any colors iDye poly doesn't? I've seen some people with pink dyes, but iDye has no pink - is it just a mix of red and yellow or something?

Thanks Odyssey, truly appreciate the advice. Especially with regards to the spin dye mixture, everytime I look at a factory made spin I sit there wondering how the hell they did it. Once I get a spinning rig going I am gong to try one with detergent (although ill need to buy some more dye now).

Do the other companies you mention have any colors iDye poly doesn't? I've seen some people with pink dyes, but iDye has no pink - is it just a mix of red and yellow or something?

Idye does have a pink but its not a very "hot" pink. And yes the other companies definitely have some colors and shades that idye does not have. I totally recommend to anyone to branch out and try as many dyes as you can. I have been quite fortunate in most of the dyes I have tried thus far. Prochemicals has a fairly economical sampler pack that can get you started in a good direction. It comes with a dye carrier NSC and synthrapol, which from my experience thus far works wonders with my dyes. Seems to brighten them up and make them pop more. I have also used that with my pylam dyes. I will probably add them to my idye collection soon and see the differences. Maybe do a test run with and without the additives just to do a comparison.

Pylam has been super cool with offering me a lot of free sampling. Most of their disperse dyes work quite well. Especially their yellow. It's my favorite color dye ive found so far because its great for toning down either a green into a neon green or even a purple into more of a hot pink. Also the worm dyes work great for doing rings on the discs. Thats mainly all I use the worm dye for. Just personal preference really.

I ended up setting up the box fan setup that Dan Howard put together a tutorial on. Works quite well. A lot of people have used a turntable as well and had nice results. I think both setups have their advantages and disadvantages. Main thing with doing the spin dyes is getting your disc centered accurately and getting your dye/detergent ratio right. Then just getting the speed right for applying. I find slow speeds work best to get even coats.

Good luck! hope that helps :thmbup:

For any dyes I am doing, that are not traditional stovetop "dip dyes" I mix approx. 1/2 teaspoon of iDye with maybe 2 oz of hot water (roughly a shot glass-ful.) then I'll mix that with shaving crème, laundry detergent, or whatever medium the technique calls for.

Latest posts