• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rate my bag (870 rated)

Firios

Hello, I just started my competitive disc golf journey, and ended up with an 871 rated first tournament showing, placing 3rd in the rec division. I have been thinking about my bag for awhile, and feel like it is starting to come together. Let me know what you think:

Putters:
DX Rhino (180) - one of my oldest/favorite discs, I use it for putting and forearm approaching.
Sirius Omega (176) - For some reason, I hate backhanding my Rhino, this disc feels really good, and I can get flight paths on it for backhand driving.

Mids:
Star Mako (176) - I call this my trick disc... For holes where I need a very swooping forehand ess curve, I release this with hyzer flip and wrist roll forehand. It goes from about 60 degrees hyzer, floats up about 50 ft, then goes understable and dives left, if the hole is downhill, of if I chuck it up, I can get it to do the whole ess. People who haven't seen this before always look like I did something crazy. Trying to get this shot out of my game eventually, since it relies on ALOT of different variables, but until then, it lets me go for birdies I can't get yet otherwise, with little risk for a horrible shot.
DX Roc (180) - Nice and beat it perfectly, if I throw it with the slightest bit of hyzer, it flies straight with little to no fade.
Z Comet(178) - Just won this at my first tournament. It's domey, and seems to have a very consistent flight for me. I know if overlaps with my DX Roc, but lately I haven't been sure what to stick with.
FLX Drone (176) - I have never seen a midrange so overstable. Any upshot or drive that is within ~240 ft but requires a spike hyzer, I use this to get the fade I need.

Drivers:
Z XL (175): Flexes beautifully for me, and I can throw it straight for about ~280 ft average, both forehand AND backhand.
Champ Teebird (175) : I got this before the Z XL, and I don't like it as much. It does have a better fade than the XL, so I use it for shots where I want to take advantage of the fade.
Star FL (176): This is my super overstable driver for my backhands, and my go-to for forehands. If I get a good forehand rip on this disc, it can fly straight for up to 300 ft with good accuracy.

Yes, I know I don't have any super high speed discs, but I am only throwing 300 ft, so trying to mess with those just makes me look stupid. I do like it when I am playing with casual players who are chucking their brand new Champ Bosses 150 ft. I always act impressed that they are throwing a speed 13 and say that I don't have the arm to throw a Boss. I then proceed to throw my putter or Roc and almost double their distance.

Anyways, let me know what is wrong, and I always love disc suggestions. I particularly like Z plastic (i thought it was like champion plastic which doesn't work all that well for me, but not really), so anything that has good runs in Z plastic would be exciting.

looks pretty good, if you are only throwing 300~ you probably don't need the flx drone since you can throw the FL in the same range.

Once you need a new roc, you would benefit from getting a lighter roc in the 172-175 range. It will provide the same stability as the 180 with more distance.

Also the mako and the comet overlap.

your bag and viewpoint about discs is pretty good at this stage of your game.

I think your Comet may overlap more with the Mako than the Roc. I'm not 100% on that because i've never thrown a Mako. I'm also not a big fan of hog mids (aka your Drone) but that is just my personal preference. If you like it rock the hell out of it. I take it you are also a forehand dominant player so a hoggish mid like that may be a better fit for you. I'm not very good with FH so I can't really comment there.

as for you drivers i would suggest trying lighter wights in both the XL and the TB (mid 160s). with the lighter weights you will realize that forehand and XL shouldn't be used in the same sentence. and you also should get a some more distance out of it.

if you don't like the TB in Champ try a DX or a Star. you won't be disappointed. You may want to consider your drivers in DX and Elite X. they both offer more glide and distance potential as well as better grip.

Here are some things to add, but that advice is interesting:

1. As I said, the Star Mako is entirely in there for trick shots, I haven't tried those trick shots with the Comet, as I have been primarily using the Comet for straight backhand throws, I guess I will check it out though, as they are quite similar.

2. Yes, the XL isn't really meant as a forehand disc. But, it seems to be the perfect stability for me to get a beautiful flex with it at the forehand power I currently have. If I release it at about... 15 degrees hyzer, I know it will flip and get a tight flex. Like I said, this is more situational, as the FL is my goto.

3. As for the FLX Drone, I will try seeing how the FL does on those sort of shots, as the Drone is more of a utility disc, and not really something I actually prefer.

4. I will try some lighter weights when my disc budget allows (college student + tourney fees already + gas = not many opportunities for new discs)

One thing that should be established is that I am not forehand dominant. My backhand form is solid, and I prefer a backhand over a forehand EVERY time for shots between 150-250. For shots longer than that, I choose backhand or forehand depending on the fade I need, as I cannot anhyzer throw for distance. The distance I produce is roughly equal for each throw. For shots under 150 that I don't feel comfortable jump putting, I up with a DX Rhino forehand, as I feel that a forehand works in more situations (I am 6"5, so I can sidestep from my lie and get out of woods that way, and get clean forehands, where a backhand would be a disaster)

1. the Comet can do a lot of craziness also. it can also fly an insane distance.

2. the true nature of the XL (one of my absolute favorite discs) is understable with good fade. since you are using max weight and premium plastic you are sing the maximum of stability in this disc. if you get a lighter weight XL you will see what it can do as a turnover disc and a hyzerflip mad man.

3. like i said before it's up to you. but since you aren't FH dominant, then i suggest you pick one over the other.

4. we all understand about the money situation. there are other options. you can check out the buy/sell/trade forum here. i've gotten some really tasty discs from other guys on here. My trade list is pretty pitiful right now, but there is no shortage of options.

are you a lanky 6'5"?

Not really. I've recently dropped weight from 230 to 205 over the past 6 months (fat loss), but am now working on weight training and gaining muscle mass.

Firios said:
Not really. I've recently dropped weight from 230 to 205 over the past 6 months (fat loss), but am now working on weight training and gaining muscle mass.

awesome stuff! I lost a decent amount of weight a few years ago. Life changing actually. Big props!

Latest posts