• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ratings and Non-Playing Penalties

Football players do get penalized but do the negative yards from a personal foul count negatively against their receiving/rushing yards?
Not sure about personal stats but it affects the team.

"Hey, the [insert your favorite team here] would have gone to the Superbowl if those silly penalties weren't applied."

"Hey, I would have won at frolfing if I didn't have outbursts of anger."

Football players do get penalized but do the negative yards from a personal foul count negatively against their receiving/rushing yards?

A better allegory would be the receivers and QBs that lose out on receiving and passing yards as a result of defensive interference. If they hadn't been penalized by the defense, they may have completed the pass to pad their stats. Instead, the team still gets the yardage, but the players don't get the credit for it.

In theory, this could mean lower paychecks down the road when their stats are being evaluated. In reality, it's negligible.

A better allegory would be the receivers and QBs that lose out on receiving and passing yards as a result of defensive interference. If they hadn't been penalized by the defense, they may have completed the pass to pad their stats. Instead, the team still gets the yardage, but the players don't get the credit for it.

In theory, this could mean lower paychecks down the road when their stats are being evaluated. In reality, it's negligible.

Or even better, complete a 40 yard pass that gets called back for holding.

Or, in the pros, yards lost on QB sacks are subtracted from team rushing stats. Although, I don't think it would effect any paychecks, since the RBs ind rushing stats wouldn't take the hit. Maybe the OLs would get eval'ed down for it, but since they allowed the sack more often than not...? Dude, I guess I think I'm on NFL.com board. / drift

Penalties are part of your rating. If you get penalized a few times, chances are you're going to get penalized again. Ratings tell the story of what your final score is likely to be, not your ultimate potential.

Also, the kinds of adjustments you're talking about would take a lot of work and TDs are overtaxed already.

This idea is pretty silly.

Negative yards on a rush count against the running back or receivers totals for the game and the season. You could rush for 101 yards, be stopped on the last play for negative yards and end up with 99 yards for the game

801.04C says: Players should take care not to produce any auditory or visual distractions while other players are throwing. Distracting actions include.....

That's odd... so, it's ONLY against the rules to do while someone else is throwing. All other times? Go ahead and boot that bag to Abu Dabi.

It does end up inflating other people's round ratings, but the effect a single player has on the field's can't be all that significant. Besides, what practical solution is there?

The score is the score. There should be only be one for a given round, and it should reflect any penalties assessed. If you don't like taking strokes you didn't actually throw, check the arithmetic on your card, follow the rules, and don't behave like a jerk. :|

Which rule number is the penalty stroke for throwing/kicking bag?
Should this be enforced in a PDGA league?
Let me answer the 2nd question... Yes.

Last edited:
Ran outta time for edit...

It's one thing to get pissed because you threw a crap shot, missed a putt, lost a disc... it's not your finest moment, and it's happened to all of us. How you respond to that is part of responding to pressure. Not to sound sexist, but "man-up." If your reaction to adversity is to carry on like a baby who's parent just took their pacifier away, maybe competitive disc golf isn't for you.

Latest posts