• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you handle fast play/feeling rushed in tournament/league play?

hahaha.

All this chat in here, played doubles last night and one of the guys on my card was the "impatient" guy.

Would throw, go pick up his bag and start pacing and dragging his feet in the gravel while other people were throwing.

There was at least 3 times where he grabbed his bag and started to walk towards his disc, but then realized that me and my partner hadn't thrown yet.

Plus he'd just not even walk to the putting green with us, he's just go pace at the next tee box.
Just bad etiquette all together.

He didn't help find discs or anything.
So when he coudlnt' find his drive on the last hole that he thought he out drove me on, but he shanked his forehand. hahahah.
I knew where his disc was, I just kept walking.

Be a sport at all times.
Be kind to other golfers, and nobody really cares much what goes on if your'e respectful and not lollygagging over dumb stuff.

So when he coudlnt' find his drive on the last hole that he thought he out drove me on, but he shanked his forehand. hahahah.

Be a sport at all times.

Does not compute!

Be a sport at all times.
Be kind to other golfers, and nobody really cares much what goes on if your'e respectful and not lollygagging over dumb stuff.

Honestly not cool lol

I was with you until then.

I can actually empathize with fast golf. I get a one-track mind on the course and can be oblivious in some moments. I have definitely been guilty of grabbing my sh*t and walking off the tee pad when someone still has to throw. I always feel awful lol.

Now I take advantage of that downtime to really stay mindful. When I get to my shot, I shift into focus mode.

Honestly not cool lol

I was with you until then.

I can actually empathize with fast golf. I get a one-track mind on the course and can be oblivious in some moments. I have definitely been guilty of grabbing my sh*t and walking off the tee pad when someone still has to throw. I always feel awful lol.

Now I take advantage of that downtime to really stay mindful. When I get to my shot, I shift into focus mode.

He refused to help anyone else with finding their discs the whole 21 holes.
Kept walking off leaving his partner to putt by himself and standing around watching.
Kept pacing and kicking gravel while others were on the box to throw.

Don't reward bad behavior.
I helped him find his disc a few times and he refused to return the favor.

His partner, a friend of mine, was getting really agitated with him not joining us on the putting green over and over again.
I told him "when players do that to me in a dubs round, I purposefully miss the putts."

I don't tolerate poor behavior after a while if its continual on every hole.

He didn't break any rules, but I only tolerate so much crap from players etiquette wise.
I will not reward your poor sportsman conduct by helping you over and over again when you refuse to return it at all the whole round.

Especially when you try and walk passed me on the tee pad with your bag ready to go to your shot multiple times.

We all respected him on the pad and for his shots, and he didn't return the favor moving around in view or making excessive noise while the rest of us were putting or throwing.

The 2 guys that were on the card are newer players as well, so he was giving off that "I'm playing with chumps" attitude, which isn't cool.

I try to be respectful of all players regardless of bad shots or skill levels. That keeps them coming out and keeps them wanting to play.
But when you got guys who act like this guy, it turns people off to playing events like doubles as it leaves a really sour feeling by the end of the round if its continual on every hole.

Even waiting on the pad and staring at him didn't even que him into his poor conduct. I could have said something, but part of my current journey with disc golf is learning to overcome people acting like this as it hurts my game really bad.

I think social media creeps into our lives....we all seem convinced others care FAR more about us, than they really do. I don't care if you are fast or slow. I don't need to pay much attention to you, at all. I can watch, but not get caught up in your game. I have oft stated, while scoring....I write 'em down, I don't spend time counting them for you. I am focused on my game, the course. If you want to chat, I am cool with a conversation. If you want to focus on your game, I am fine. Attention to my cardmates falls pretty far down my list of concerns on the course. You would not worry what others thought of you, if you knew how infrequently they did. I am with eegor....ready golf, have fun.

Sounds to me like someone needs to take a more direct approach to try to educate the "death bomb" partner about better etiquette. Were they new to league?

It also sounds like they managed to get in your head, whether intentional or not they definitely messed with your mojo. It's a chance for practice to "let it go" ...

The vindictive part of me might also find it satisfying to run on ahead on the final hole, give them a little taste of their own behaviour and let them look on their own, perhaps it would teach them a lesson, most likely not.. It sounds like someone that's just not used to playing in a group, or was trying to rush the group along in an unproductive way.

If they were an unknowing noob I would have offered patient guidance, if they were a bitter pro I'm kinda with you with the possibility of "holier than thou" winning out.

We used to play with one guy here, real self centered mouthpiece, he was impatient waiting for the last group to come in and ran to the 17th hole asking "-14 is anyone else minus 14?" It's still a joke round these parts.. Over time we mellowed him out and made him a more passable member of DG Society

Last edited:
Played a B Tier this weekend. Played the flex start on Friday. Played with my regular buddy (also MA4) and an MP40 player. Nobody in front of or behind us and it was just a nice round of golf.

Then I played Saturday and I was with a kid playing his first tourney and 2 lower rated players. And the other folks had family and friends walking with them. I think we had 7 to 10 people with us the whole round. And it was rough. People just not ready. People walking up past your shot. This was the first time where I think my game struggle a bit because of the lack of rhythm.

Today, I was on the chase card (5 cards in MA4), so I was paired with folks closer to my skill level and pace was good. And it was just a pleasant round.

I was probably the fastest player on both cards. Though I do take some time to putt. So I really think that the folks that inspired the thread are extreme outliers.

The fast players in our group do the scoring. We also play "ready golf". We just play, and have fun.

I wish "ready golf" would be a rule. Too many times I've been at my shot and had to wait for a card mate to get to his shot that was slightly further than mine. Yes, I ask if I can go...but I have been told 'no, you aren't away'. Prime example, player A knows where his disc is in the woods, slightly off the fairway. He is away. My disc is in the fairway. I don't need to help player A look for their disc, they see it. They just need to determine their stance and their best throw option. I have a clear shot in the fairway and can complete my throw before they are ready to take theirs. But by the rules, player A is away, so I have to wait.

Ball golf has gone to 'ready golf', why can't we?

I wish "ready golf" would be a rule. Too many times I've been at my shot and had to wait for a card mate to get to his shot that was slightly further than mine. Yes, I ask if I can go...but I have been told 'no, you aren't away'. Prime example, player A knows where his disc is in the woods, slightly off the fairway. He is away. My disc is in the fairway. I don't need to help player A look for their disc, they see it. They just need to determine their stance and their best throw option. I have a clear shot in the fairway and can complete my throw before they are ready to take theirs. But by the rules, player A is away, so I have to wait.

I play a fairly large number of events and cannot recall a single time when someone was not OK with ready golf (in stroke play) when asked. In general if I am playing with the usual suspects we all know to do it already. If I am playing with people I don't know I generally remember to ask at the beginning of the round to get it out of the way.

Yeah, I'm yet to encounter a cardmate that had a problem with ready golf.

Especially if it is a situation where somebody is trying to hack their way out of the woods or facing back to back shots or something like that. I think most people feel like you are doing them a solid by giving them a bit more time to figure out their shot or regather.

I play a fairly large number of events and cannot recall a single time when someone was not OK with ready golf (in stroke play) when asked. In general if I am playing with the usual suspects we all know to do it already. If I am playing with people I don't know I generally remember to ask at the beginning of the round to get it out of the way.

I have had an issue. It was only one time, but a player did have an issue.

He said it was against the rules and that it distracted him as he was getting ready to throw. He admitted that he wasn't about to throw, but it distracted him while he was figuring out his stance and what lie he had to throw.

I'm alright with ready golf as long as you aren't too far in front of me... I strongly support ready golf when someone is in the bush looking, "hey let me just toss this, and I'll help you look" 80ft that other way in the wrong direction :D haha.

The best way to start it is by starting off before all throws "are we playing ready golf today??"

If they say no, then you strictly time everyone on their 30 seconds and call them.

Ready golf is about keeping the flow of golf going and not wasting time for useless things.

I have had an issue. It was only one time, but a player did have an issue.

He said it was against the rules and that it distracted him as he was getting ready to throw. He admitted that he wasn't about to throw, but it distracted him while he was figuring out his stance and what lie he had to throw.

That is the largest bucket of horsesh.... I have ever heard.

I'm alright with ready golf as long as you aren't too far in front of me... I strongly support ready golf when someone is in the bush looking, "hey let me just toss this, and I'll help you look" 80ft that other way in the wrong direction :D haha.

And yes, this is where ready golf and some brains is important.
Dont walk 50 feet up the fairway to throw.

If everyone around the same area and such, or the person who's out on putting green is still lolly gagging.
Go tap out your 2 footer. Though that's technically bad form, that's also ready golf. The point is to keep play going, not to give advantages to anyone. But it's also important to be respectful of everyone else.
I think the issue comes to that last part there, cause people have no idea how to do much of anything anymore, let alone what "respect" is.

I wish "ready golf" would be a rule. ... But by the rules, player A is away, so I have to wait.

Don't blame the rules before you read the rules.

802.02 Order of Play
Last updated: Friday, December 1, 2017 - 10:34

Bold added.

He refused to help anyone else with finding their discs the whole 21 holes.
Kept walking off leaving his partner to putt by himself and standing around watching.
Kept pacing and kicking gravel while others were on the box to throw.

He didn't break any rules, but I only tolerate so much crap from players etiquette wise.
I will not reward your poor sportsman conduct by helping you over and over again when you refuse to return it at all the whole round.

Especially when you try and walk passed me on the tee pad with your bag ready to go to your shot multiple times.

To be fair, he did break the rules. He broke rule 812 multiple times by the sound of things: refusing to help search for discs, making noise, movement during a players throw, advancing beyond the away player, not watching other players putt, etc. These are all actions that violates the rules of the PDGA. So even if you and your card-mates chose not to say anything to him directly, I would still recommend saying something to whomever it is that runs the Dubs League. (Assuming it was a League.) That way they can talk to the player and prevent them from giving off bad vibes to other new players.

812 Courtesy

To be fair, he did break the rules. He broke rule 812 multiple times by the sound of things: refusing to help search for discs, making noise, movement during a players throw, advancing beyond the away player, not watching other players putt, etc. These are all actions that violates the rules of the PDGA. So even if you and your card-mates chose not to say anything to him directly, I would still recommend saying something to whomever it is that runs the Dubs League. (Assuming it was a League.) That way they can talk to the player and prevent them from giving off bad vibes to other new players.

812 Courtesy

Were talking non sanctioned weekly doubles.

If you wanna get booted, you're going to have to do much worse things than that.

In a way its my fault for not speaking up.
But also it was a good opportunity for me to work on my mental game.

And based on his attitude, I think he would have been sour sport about me speaking about it.

We were out there to have a good time at a weekly. Dont need it ruined by some POS who cannot keep his crap together.

If it was a bigger tournament, I'd have spoke up.

Don't blame the rules before you read the rules.

802.02 Order of Play
Last updated: Friday, December 1, 2017 - 10:34

Bold added.

I have read it and there is the issue. Who determines if it won't impact the next player? Like the one situation I mentioned, the player wasn't ready to throw....they were still getting ready. But they didn't want anyone else to throw. If I had decided to throw while they were getting ready, and they called me on it, it would have only been a courtesy violation for the first time it happened. But the point is, unless you get verbal consent your belief that it won't impact the one who is next is just that...a belief...which could be called as a violation by the player who was next.

I have read it and there is the issue. Who determines if it won't impact the next player? Like the one situation I mentioned, the player wasn't ready to throw....they were still getting ready. But they didn't want anyone else to throw. If I had decided to throw while they were getting ready, and they called me on it, it would have only been a courtesy violation for the first time it happened. But the point is, unless you get verbal consent your belief that it won't impact the one who is next is just that...a belief...which could be called as a violation by the player who was next.

I was responding to your wish that the rules allowed ready golf.

Ready golf isn't about throwing whenever you want without regard to others. Even if you are playing ready golf, when someone is setting up you should not throw.

The point is, the rules don't always require you to ask permission to throw out of turn; allowing for a ready-golf style of play.

"I knew where his disc was, I just kept walking. "

"when players do that to me in a dubs round, I purposefully miss the putts."

Be a sport at all times.

Do you practice what you preach? Because your anecdotes suggest otherwise.

Latest posts