• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] RDG Stego: 3, 0, +1, 4

Congrats!!! After playing all summer with just my serpent and stego at a local par 3 course I actually just realized I actually got my first and only stego ace on a 150 ft hard left dogleg just yesterday! Something about the fall I suppose.
It must be Stego season!

I need to get on some shorty courses with the stego. I still don't have a RDG ace, despite serpents and tyrants seeming to be basket magnets. Really I just would like aces to start coming around a little more often again...

So, I gave my stego a workout this morning at the canyons. Normally I'll maybe have one stego throw per round, but today I had at least 10 stego approaches in 27 holes. It was often the right answer to the gusty winds we were dealing with.

Tis a silly disc, no doubt, but useful.

In the tournament I was in last week I threw the Stego off the tee 6 times, result was 5 birdies(should have been 6/6 but I missed a 30ft putt)

I saw that, I hope he throws it on coverage we need maximum Stego visibility people.
It is critical to the mission!

I gotta say, I threw this thing in my bag for the lulz. It's utterly silly. Once I actually used it in my "win" mentality I realized it's amazing.

I still don't have it ranged to Stego-maxD but when called on at shorter distances it always ends up as a tap-in putt.

I gotta say, I threw this thing in my bag for the lulz. It's utterly silly. Once I actually used it in my "win" mentality I realized it's amazing.

I still don't have it ranged to Stego-maxD but when called on at shorter distances it always ends up as a tap-in putt.
That is 100% right. With great predictability comes many easy putts.

The hardest thing to learn with the stego is ranging distance on harder throws. It legitimately wants to get to the ground faster the harder you throw it. That anti glide overstabiltiy seems to be exaggerated with the extra spin that a backhand generates. My buddy who throws very hard FH (much like it seems Moose does) seems to have less an issue than me.

Its funny, a fresh stego seems to go 160-180 feet for me whether thrown 60% or 100% unless thrown very high and on a roller angle or upside down. Knowing that does make them super predictable with a ridiculously large margin for error. I just have to remember that touch approaches don't dump out as hard.

How are people liking the Molten plastic? Should I grab one of those or a Tarpit Firm for my first Stego?

How are people liking the Molten plastic? Should I grab one of those or a Tarpit Firm for my first Stego?
They are pretty cool and it's the most workable if the premium plastic ones(not that any are particularly) if you like a durable disc and clovering/beating in bothers you feel wise molten is a great way to go.

Tarpit firm is the quintessential Stego to me but they do beat in a little on the quick side if you use it a lot.

They are pretty cool and it's the most workable if the premium plastic ones(not that any are particularly) if you like a durable disc and clovering/beating in bothers you feel wise molten is a great way to go.

Tarpit firm is the quintessential Stego to me but they do beat in a little on the quick side if you use it a lot.
Quintessential is good enough for me. I love the grip with Fossil so I'm hoping Tarpit Firm isn't too far off from that.

Tarpit (firm or standard) is the ideal stego for me as well though I typically just bag my beat RFF Tarpit. Something about a really stiff stego just doesn't feel right to me, I have yet to try molten. (I just ordered end of last week, I should have added one)
Unless you dislike the feel of a beat in disc, its not like the flight changes a ton until they get really beat. For instance see the fossils that beat to be domey and straight early in this thread. my experience is tarpit gets more puddle topped as it beats, which is almost a bummer cause I really am curious about a berg like stego

Tarpit (firm or standard) is the ideal stego for me as well though I typically just bag my beat RFF Tarpit. Something about a really stiff stego just doesn't feel right to me, I have yet to try molten. (I just ordered end of last week, I should have added one)
Unless you dislike the feel of a beat in disc, its not like the flight changes a ton until they get really beat. For instance see the fossils that beat to be domey and straight early in this thread. my experience is tarpit gets more puddle topped as it beats, which is almost a bummer cause I really am curious about a berg like stego
So i *think* I mentioned this when I posted my domed proto, but soft or stiff they all puddle-top. The dome is a secondary stage of wear? Or a result of throwing rollers maybe?
I rarely throw rollers with fresh ones unless I need the OH angle on release to make a gap. Once they're firmly puddled is when they start to really see the ground and that's when the wing starts to beat back down, popping the plate into a dome.
Whatever the case may, be the stiff ones move through the wear pattern faster/don't puddle quite as much.

What I find *really* interesting is that no matter how beat any of mine get thre still ends up being a noticeable gap between them and a fresh Baobab

So i *think* I mentioned this when I posted my domed proto, but soft or stiff they all puddle-top. The dome is a secondary stage of wear? Or a result of throwing rollers maybe?
I rarely throw rollers with fresh ones unless I need the OH angle on release to make a gap. Once they're firmly puddled is when they start to really see the ground and that's when the wing starts to beat back down, popping the plate into a dome.
Whatever the case may, be the stiff ones move through the wear pattern faster/don't puddle quite as much.

What I find *really* interesting is that no matter how beat any of mine get thre still ends up being a noticeable gap between them and a fresh Baobab
Thanks for specifying. That's curious about whether its secondary wear or from rollers. I could see the impact angle of rollers wearing them differently before I could wrap my head around them wearing to puddle then doming up? Who knows the stego defys frisbee logic already, why change when beat.

This disc has been on top of my wish list for a couple of years now but I haven't been able to find a retailer in Europe. I think I might bite the bullet and order directly from RDG's website. The shipping is obviously a bit of an expense and thus I would probably order a few of them.

What plastics would you recommend? Maybe a couple of a premium and a couple baseline? I'm not familiar with RDG's plastics at all.

Not a Stego enthusiast so take what I say with a big grain of salt!

1 premium and the rest baseline is my recommendation. Maybe 2 so you never need to order another again lol

Here is a quick rundown on what you can get right now;

Armor-their star type and most durable of all plastics, usually the most overstable
Amber-champion style plastic, similar to armor but they have some semblance of glide
Molton- gummy almost like G star but more durable. Slightly less stable but not by much.
Fossil- stiff grippy and very stable
Tarpit firm- slightly softer but still grippy and very nice.
Tarpit- their softer plastic similar to BT Soft but the rim is more sturdy.
Glow- similar to Tarpit firm but more stable, these are my favorite.

Latest posts