• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Buzzz OS vs. Malta

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
I decided to test a couple mids head to head on the course today. I had never thrown either one until today. For reference, Discraft lists the Buzzz OS at 5, 4, 0, 3. The Malta is listed at 5, 4, 1, 3. Looking at the discs, the only obvious difference is that the Malta has a bead and the Buzzz OS doesn't. I don't know the weight of either disc, but they feel like 175+. Malta is ESP, and the Buzzz OS is titanium.

Honestly, these two discs overlap almost completely. Extremely similar flight paths and hand feel. Both would fly flat for a long while and fade fairly hard late. I was able to quickly learn these two discs and start making consistent, accurate shots with them. Top distance was about 350'. Both the Buzzz OS and Malta can be pushed fairly hard, and will respond nicely with extra distance.

I did have one bizarre downhill Malta shot where the disc turned over and stayed there. It ended up 350'+, but well right of the intended target. I was expecting the disc to hook up late and fade, but it didn't.

Conclusions: Both the Buzzz OS and Malta are good, overstable midranges. They fly a nice, straight line before fading fairly hard at the end of flight. That said, I'm not sure I'd use either of these in significant headwinds with full powered throws. Also, I'm not impressed with the titanium plastic. My Buzzz OS seemed to get dinged/nicked easily. The plastic isn't durable.

The Malta isn't as overstable as the flight numbers indicate. I was able to get turn on it when I threw 100% powered flat shots.

Buzzz OS: 5, 4, 0, 3- I'm going with Discraft's numbers here. Great throwing disc. Feels perfectly like a Buzzz in the hand, but flies noticeably more overstable. It won't bleed right on hard rips.

Malta: 5, 4, -.5, 3- The Malta seemed less stable than the Buzzz OS for me. It has a little high speed turn. I was expecting this to be quite a bit more overstable than it showed today.

Very similar discs here. Throw the Malta if you like a bead, Buzzz OS if you don't. Honestly, the Malta looks and flies like a Wasp.

Isn't the Malta a smaller diameter mid? Might be worth mentioning if it is in the review. Never thrown a Buzzz OS, well once, but have a couple Maltas. Don't care for either. At least I partially paid for Paul's super car.

Concur that the Malta has a finite and sudden HSS threshold. Those with better form probably experience it less. Anecdotally, I see the Malta thrown by pros for backhands and the Buzzz OS for FH. Personally I like the BOS for FH approaches beyond a Breaker but short of a Raptor.

Isn't the Malta a smaller diameter mid? Might be worth mentioning if it is in the review. Never thrown a Buzzz OS, well once, but have a couple Maltas. Don't care for either. At least I partially paid for Paul's super car.

Yup, Malta is 21.3 cm and Buzzz OS is 21.7 cm. Interesting that OP found no major distance difference, I'd think the larger diameter would glide better and net you a little more distance.

The Malta didn't seem any smaller diameter than the Buzzz OS. Other than having a bead, I couldn't really tell much difference between the two.

The Malta seems like a good mid, but it overlaps with the Wasp and Buzzz OS a lot.

Concur that the Malta has a finite and sudden HSS threshold. Those with better form probably experience it less. Anecdotally, I see the Malta thrown by pros for backhands and the Buzzz OS for FH. Personally I like the BOS for FH approaches beyond a Breaker but short of a Raptor.

Yeah, that was weird. I decided to throw the Malta as hard as I could on a flat line. The disc turned over quite a bit and didn't come back. It surprised me. I expected way more late fade than I saw. On anything less than full power the Malta didn't show any hint of turn.

The Buzzz OS didn't show any of that random high speed turn on full powered shots.

Last edited:
I am a fan of the Malta... I am right handed, but throw a lot of approach shots between 120-150 with the Malta using LHBH... nice easy hyzer fades into the circle using an easy to medium power throw. Love the feel of it. Mine is ESP plastic. I have an ESP Buzzz but have never thrown the OS version.

Last edited:
So the Drone is even more over stable then either, correct?

Where would the Hornet fall in the mix?

Just wondering.

So the Drone is even more over stable then either, correct?

Where would the Hornet fall in the mix?

Just wondering.

Hornet has more glide. More of a swooping/pushing forward hyzer than dumping. I think it was listed as 5 glide. Numbers are subjective but that's what Discraft has it at.

The Malta is a flat Nebula with a bead. The harder you throw a Nebula, the more it turns into a regular Buzzz. The bead on the Malta just kind of retards this effect so it seems more overstable-ish. I think the main difference between a Malta and the Buzzz OS would be that the Malta isn't as speed sensitive. You can power down a Malta and hit flex lines and such more easily compared to a BuzzzOS that is really power hungry.

The Malta is very comfortable but I do not trust it at full power or any sort of power into a wind. The turn rating on my brand new ESP disc makes no sense.

The Malta is very comfortable but I do not trust it at full power or any sort of power into a wind. The turn rating on my brand new ESP disc makes no sense.

I agree. The Malta is fairly overstable until you really rip on it. Then, all of a sudden, it starts turning.

I'm going to bag it for a little while and see what happens. I need a disc just slightly beefier than a Roc3.

You're ignoring the hand feel of the Buzzz OS, which can be best described by the word "Fugly"

You're also ignoring the fact that the BOS (or POS works to) is a glideless turd that dumps randomly and doesn't get any real distance to separate it from the far superior Zone.

It's a damn shame that Discraft produces the optimal "Overstable with Buzzz hand feel" disc for another company. (DGA Quake)

Discraft has the most complete midrange lineup of anyone, and yet they push this sorry dog turd of a mold and slap the name of the best midrange ever made on it to trick unsuspecting golfers to buy it.

My vote is for neither, Drone/Quake are both leagues better.

this assessment is overall inaccurate

malta is clearly smaller diameter and noticeable upon first fondle

malta is like spider and wasp mated and had an ugly kid that no one asked for

buzz os has minimal glide and dumps off like a wounded duck

You're ignoring the hand feel of the Buzzz OS, which can be best described by the word "Fugly"

You're also ignoring the fact that the BOS (or POS works to) is a glideless turd that dumps randomly and doesn't get any real distance to separate it from the far superior Zone.

It's a damn shame that Discraft produces the optimal "Overstable with Buzzz hand feel" disc for another company. (DGA Quake)

Discraft has the most complete midrange lineup of anyone, and yet they push this sorry dog turd of a mold and slap the name of the best midrange ever made on it to trick unsuspecting golfers to buy it.

My vote is for neither, Drone/Quake are both leagues better.

I really didn't mind the hand feel of the Buzzz OS. Nor did I mind the fact that it has a dumpy fade. Considering its an OS mold, I was kind of expecting that.

I'm not going to bag a Buzzz OS right now, but I didn't dislike the performance or the feel of the disc at all.

I do have a Drone lurking around. Next time out maybe I'll bring it.

I won't argue that the Zone is a superior disc. It is in my bag, and not going anywhere. That said, the Zone can be stubbornly short at times. I want a somewhat beefy mid that'll fly a Zone type line, but longer.

I really didn't mind the hand feel of the Buzzz OS. Nor did I mind the fact that it has a dumpy fade. Considering its an OS mold, I was kind of expecting that.

I'm not going to bag a Buzzz OS right now, but I didn't dislike the performance or the feel of the disc at all.

I do have a Drone lurking around. Next time out maybe I'll bring it.

I won't argue that the Zone is a superior disc. It is in my bag, and not going anywhere. That said, the Zone can be stubbornly short at times. I want a somewhat beefy mid that'll fly a Zone type line, but longer.

I have the same opinion on the Zone. Stubbornly short. I think you'd really like a Champion Caiman as a longer Zone.